cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lithium batteries

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
Who has installed lithium batteries but didn’t change your charging from truck to camper batteries by adding DC to DC charger
22 REPLIES 22

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I think I will just rely on 510 watts of solar

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
mbloof wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Since Li don't want to be taken to 100% I can't see why a dc to DC booster would be particularly useful.

Since when? Can you quote a source for that information?

The Battleborn battery I own and even the DIY LiFePo4 cells I bought along a with proper BMS have no issue with being charged to 100%.

- Mark0.

Many many many sources.

Some BMS systems have the 90% set to read as fully charged. Battleborn might be one of them.

The ideal is 40% to 90% for most Li chemistries.

They tolerate 20% state of charge well. But lifespan may be shorter.

Here is a source that suggest maximum of 80% SOC:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/04/are-you-killing-your-lithium-batteries/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Since Li don't want to be taken to 100% I can't see why a dc to DC booster would be particularly useful.

Since when? Can you quote a source for that information?

The Battleborn battery I own and even the DIY LiFePo4 cells I bought along a with proper BMS have no issue with being charged to 100%.

- Mark0.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

My "skinny" OEM wire is #8--perfectly capable of carrying 40 amps. It is not the wire that is the problem, it is the ECM of the chassis.

Are the battery management systems able to be set to stop charging at 90% state of charge?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
We have 400Ah of lithiums and 640W solar on the roof. Plenty of juice and plenty of charging. We have no need to charge by truck which is measly anyway with the skinny wires and not even worth hassling with.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
My Battleborn LiFePo4 battery is mostly charged by 136W of Solar and MPPT Li compatible charge controller.

I did not bother to upgrade or update the charging from the truck. My use needs don't need it.

When in a pinch, I have a 1000W Yamaha generator and can use the stock AC/DC converter to charge the battery. Granted it won't charge it fully or 'optimum', again, my use case(s) don't require or need that.

For those that travel a lot and go from place to place and only stay 1 night at each place maybe better truck charging makes sense for them. Not needed for me.

- Mark0.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar recharging is a bunch more simple for all RV batteries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I read lot about it on Sprinter forum, but Sprinter owners on average have more money to spend.
They install $2000 water heaters as well.
Using straight alternator charging you will not recharge those batteries to 100%, but it will still work at lower capacity.
Most of users set it with solar charger, who will do 100% recharging, so for most of the users, alternator charging is secondary only.