cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking at a Puma or Rockwood. Opinions please!

awalker
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to upgrade from our 1993 Terry Resort but aren't wanting to spend a lot on a new one. I found a 2014 Puma 30 RKSS they say is like new and camped in very few times and they are asking 13,900. It's for sale by owner and about 3 1/2 hours away. I also found a 2007 Rockwood Signature ultra lite 8296SS for around 13,500 at a dealer that is about 2 hours away. We have only owned the one TT and don't know much about the reputation of the two we are considering. Puma's seem harder to find opinions about but I could only find one person in the reading I've done online that had lots of issues with theirs. I've read good and bad about the Rockwood but mostly good. I'm hoping that some of you out there have had some experience (or know someone who has) with either of these two TT's and/or their reliability and wouldn't mind sharing your opinions with me.

We will be pulling with a '04 3/4 ton 8.1 liter suburban in case that matters.

Thank you
10 REPLIES 10

awalker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Allen! Glad to hear you were happy with yours. I looked at that site and they do have some great deals. They were more than we were wanting to spend though. I've saved that site in case we ever want to look for something new in the future. We did end up buying the one we were interested in and are excited to start using it! Thanks for your reply.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2007 Puma for four years, bought new. We had no problems from it. If you are truly looking to buy a Puma I would encourage you to visit the Cheyenne Camping Center website and look at their value leaders. They are in Walcott, IA. This is where I bought my 2007 Puma and I drove 1000 miles round trip to get my TT and it was well worth the drive. I gave $13,500 for it with a new WDH included, installed and trailer wiring installed on my truck. Four years later I traded it for only $500 less than I paid for it. I have no affiliation with Cheyenne Camping Center other than being a former customer.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

awalker
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your replies. I think we may go look at the Puma this week!

Ajones42
Explorer
Explorer
I fulltime in South Texas in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS bought used. I have replaced every electronic/electric component in the RV over the last 3 years of ownership. But electronic components like fridges and converters and water heaters are the same regardless of model or brand of RV so that is not a black mark against the Puma. The shell and construction components have held up well. Plumbing fixtures and cabinetry are not top line and that is expected with this mid-price model.

I had one small leak on the slideout that was easily repaired with eternabond. I had one plumbing connection that leaked under the frame.

I purchased the trailer for a utilitarian, no frills abode in a harsh environment and it has exceeded expectations. I would buy it again.
Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We many Rockwood units in our camp every year. Our guests appear very satified with no complaints.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sabre, which is made by Palomino as well. It is considered the higher end of the two, but I would buy either one again
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

awalker
Explorer
Explorer
mowingman wrote:
Love our Puma. It is 2015, 27RLSS. No problems with it so far. I think the build quality of the Puma line is pretty good. We bought ours slightly used.

Thanks mowingman! That's good to hear! Glad you like yours!

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Love our Puma. It is 2015, 27RLSS. No problems with it so far. I think the build quality of the Puma line is pretty good. We bought ours slightly used.

awalker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ron3rd. That's what I was thinking as long as there isn't a lot of bad Puma reviews.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rockwood and it's been great but I would go with the newer trailer.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"