cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at a Rockwood 2280

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about getting the Rockwood 2318G but noticed all dealers option it without the toilet, but with extra cabinetry.

I did some more research and found out why. There's literally no storage with this camper. It only has one storage door over furnace, one silverware drawer under stove, very limited storage under sink, and 1 additional storage door next to toilet, .

One dinette seat is taken up by the water heater, so an additional "1" dinette seat, very minimal storage in the other dinette seat, and very low storage under sofa with 2 small doors.

The 2280 has one silverware drawer under stove, very limited storage under sink, very low storage under sofa with 2 small doors, and 1 additional storage door next to toilet that the 2318G had.

Also has both dinette seats available for full storage. Plus has another storage door over water heat, and a storage door next to the water heater.

So to gain more storage and traveling floor space for closed up storage, the 2280 makes a lot more sense. I'm not going to live in the camper, only sleep in it and be there for poor weather.

The Premier models just had to little cargo carrying capacity, were longer closed than I wanted for future garage storage, and were quite a bit more expensive than the 2280.

Now I know most RV are built like **** and others have pointed out a lot of small issues with their Forest River campers but I'd like to do a comparison poll of quality of Rockoods/Flagstaffs vs the competition. I can say loudly that the Rockwood pop ups were much better built than the Jaycos in every way and were cheaper and more optioned.

Not much else out there other than Clipper/Viking near me. Somerset doesn't even sell campers anywhere within a day drive of me. And I really need a good A/C for me as I don't do good in the heat, and need a shower/toilet for my daughter.

With model years of 2016, 2017, 2018, and now the 2019s, has anyone had any major issues structure, body, or appliance wise? I know the refrigerators aren't installed correctly in any pop up as they have no open space above for air circulation.

I still have to make a decision with my wife as she thinks that campers are just garbage and we should just hang it up on them.

Thanks for more insight.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
19 REPLIES 19

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Looks great. Have fun and take care of it. I just got a bunch a green mold originating in front trunk collasable garbage can and open container of water. Perfect combo. Made its way into pup and attachรฉd to cabinets not the tents or bedding. Weird!

Thanks.

Good luck with that mold. At least the cabinets are a lot easier to clean it off than the tenting or beds.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. Have fun and take care of it. I just got a bunch a green mold originating in front trunk collasable garbage can and open container of water. Perfect combo. Made its way into pup and attachรฉd to cabinets not the tents or bedding. Weird!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Here's a pic of the truck towing the Rockwood. Truck barely squats at all loaded so the tongue weight not a concern anymore. It also tows like it's not even behind me.

What a difference going from a 29' camper to a 19' camper.

And no need for weight distribution. Ah, the simplicity! ๐Ÿ™‚

Great looking combo, Mike. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a pic of the truck towing the Rockwood. Truck barely squats at all loaded so the tongue weight not a concern anymore. It also tows like it's not even behind me.

What a difference going from a 29' camper to a 19' camper.

It is a bit harder to back in with it's single axle as it's way more sensitive to turning angles, as I expected.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Truck carries chuckbox, generator, 4 (9) gallon aquatainers, cooler, clothes, towels, dry goods and booze.

Reliance Aquatainers are sold only in 4 gal & 7 gal sizes so assuming 4 full 7 gal 'Tainers you'd actually be carrying ~ 67 lbs less than if they really were 9 gals. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Fat finger mistake. 4 (7) gallon blue boys and a 1 additional 7 gallon unit dedicated to gray water.
Trucks a k2500 sub with a 1000 more pounds of payload than half ton whatever.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Additional things to watch for. So you went with the one that has only 100 pounds of payload if tanks are filled. Are you sure? I used to joke about bloated Niagara having less than 300. Does it or could it been on a dual axle setup?
My 1206 has 1100lbs lol. Load it heavy no problems.

If I was to buy new Iโ€™d get a toy hauler dual axle flagstaff with no black/gray tanks and set it up for perma boondock camping only

With everything full and AC, it'll be about 200 lbs left for stuff. I should only have about 100 lbs of stuff in the camper at most, but if I need extra payload, I'll just fill fresh water tanks at campground.

Those figures include dual propane tanks or dual batteries? Iโ€™m not sure if your intended usage categories you plan on. I use mine only for boondocking carries bedding,folding kitchen, chairs, mat, food,26 gallons of water, extra bedding, hoses, leveling blocks, tool bag, and full fridge. Truck carries chuckbox, generator, 4 (9) gallon aquatainers, cooler, clothes, towels, dry goods and booze.

That 200 lbs is for everything left, after all propane, battery, water weights are taken into account.

I'll be bringing hoses, chairs, tables, portable tanks, coolers, aquatainer, food and the clothes in the truck.

Towels, blankets, all bedding, lynx blocks, chocks, stove, grill, laterns, awning lights, paper goods, silverware, grill accessories, 2 way radios, TV, bluray player, Roku, hanging wardrobe & pantry, microwave, soap, dish drainer, and pots & pans will all be in the camper.

I had my bed loaded up and the camper loaded up, and the tongue weight wasn't bad at all. Truck didn't sag at all. That was with group 27 battery and 2 full 20# propane tanks.

I don't boondock. I want my electric for air conditioning, otherwise I'd just be tent camping. I also like having accessible water and a dump site near by.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Truck carries chuckbox, generator, 4 (9) gallon aquatainers, cooler, clothes, towels, dry goods and booze.

Reliance Aquatainers are sold only in 4 gal & 7 gal sizes so assuming 4 full 7 gal 'Tainers you'd actually be carrying ~ 67 lbs less than if they really were 9 gals. ๐Ÿ˜‰

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Additional things to watch for. So you went with the one that has only 100 pounds of payload if tanks are filled. Are you sure? I used to joke about bloated Niagara having less than 300. Does it or could it been on a dual axle setup?

If I was to buy new Iโ€™d get a toy hauler dual axle flagstaff with no black/gray tanks and set it up for perma boondock camping only

With everything full and AC, it'll be about 200 lbs left for stuff. I should only have about 100 lbs of stuff in the camper at most, but if I need extra payload, I'll just fill fresh water tanks at campground.

Those figures include dual propane tanks or dual batteries? Iโ€™m not sure if your intended usage categories you plan on. I use mine only for boondocking carries bedding,folding kitchen, chairs, mat, food,26 gallons of water, extra bedding, hoses, leveling blocks, tool bag, and full fridge. Truck carries chuckbox, generator, 4 (9) gallon aquatainers, cooler, clothes, towels, dry goods and booze.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Great news Mike. We are both a select few that went from pup to tt and then revert back to pups. I wish you good luck with the 14 footer low wall. Research the beaver tree camp kitchen chuckbox. That will consolidate all cookware and service for 4 and keeps it all outside of the pup. You tote it in truck and clean and restock it instead popping up and down. I donโ€™t even pop mine up before trips. I keep food frozen or just run the fridge on propane empty for a few days and freezer bag food. Fabric shelving forest river used is useless. Just do the suspension rod shelving mod.
Clothing storage I use a cabelas folding dresser.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
Well, I made a deal.

I traded in my Jay Flight 26BH on a 2019 Rockwood Premier 2716G that has a 14' box and shower and toilet.

CONGRATS Mike! :B You've been thinking about moving back to a popup for some time now, according to this discussion you started back in the spring. Hopefully this will be the answer you've been looking for to all the complications & expenses you had with your travel trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, it's great not to have the 29' headache in the yard anymore.

Prices were still expensive but the quality of these units went way up from what I could see and they have so many new features such as power roof lift, aluminum wheels, Wifi extender, pre-wiring for solar power, large door grab handle(like on my TT), water filtration system and roof crossbars.

Getting the 2716G sure made me feel better about the extra cost considering the fiberglass sidewall, front diamond plate, glass top stove, 14' box, inside stereo w/outdoor speaker, additional hanging wardrobe, hanger bracket, additional bunkend fan lights, real jack knife sofa, torsion axle, slightly larger refrigerator, and slightly higher side walls.

As far as the extra expense, as others have mentioned labor must be more on these campers. I know my Jay Flights had inexpensive materials used to premake the walls, where the trailer was assembled with all these premade walls and roof. The Pop Up has the expensive lift system, the tent is likely more expensive with the labor to sew it, confirm fit, then install it.

After having to fix my travel trailer again, ridding myself of it couldn't come fast enough.

The 2716G is actually bigger and more open inside than the travel trailer, mainly due to it's large 80" wide by 2.5' deep slide out.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Well, I made a deal.

I traded in my Jay Flight 26BH on a 2019 Rockwood Premier 2716G that has a 14' box and shower and toilet.

CONGRATS Mike! :B You've been thinking about moving back to a popup for some time now, according to this discussion you started back in the spring. Hopefully this will be the answer you've been looking for to all the complications & expenses you had with your travel trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I made a deal.

It has a lot of storage and cabinet top space along with the shower/toilet.

Dealer made me a deal I couldn't pass on. He had this on the lot. They just received the 2716G this week, so he gave me a better deal than what he was going to do ordering a Freedom 2318G.

Some pics of the actual camper I bought.