cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for advice

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of different threads trying to get at the same thing here but after reading the responses I feel like it might be helpful to provide more details.

Tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
TV GVWR 7,300
TV Tow Rating 8400 (HD Trailering package)
5.3 L V8 w/ 3.4 rear axle
Remaining payload according to the door: 1588

Trailer:
2017 Cruiser RV โ€“ MPG 2400BH
Length: 29 ft
Dry Weight 5,005 lbs

My situation: After putting a little more thought into it I drive about 35,000 miles per year and probably will tow the TT ~5,000 miles of that. The TT is the only thing that I tow.

My daily commute consists of a 16 mile round trip (60 MPH nearly all Highway) taking the boys to school during the school year and then a 50 mile round trip to the office and back (65MPH mostly Highway). Outside of that its trips to church, the ballpark, grocery store etc. We live a bit outside of town so 90% of the time I jump in the car I am traveling at least 8 miles each way. All family vacations are in my vehicle (4 trips to Colorado last year and 1 trip to Florida).

The Tahoe tow's well enough (it's all I have ever know so I probably just don't know any better) but the MPG isn't great at all (8 MPG when towing and 15.5 when not towing). However, for as little as I tow in the grand scheme of things that isn't of great concern to me. What bother's me more is that I am nearly out of payload when towing with the camper and Tahoe loaded up and my boys are just getting bigger. That is what is driving my search for a new TV.

I live in a rural area but am a city boy so I know next to nothing about diesels. About 4 months ago I bought my wife a Range Rover Velar which is a diesel crossover and she is getting crazy good MPG. So far no issues at all with that vehicle and she loves it. I just don't feel I understand the pros and cons of Gas v. Diesel well enough to understand which would be better for my situation.

Gas Pros:
Cheaper Gas (diesel is 35% higher per gallon currently)
Cheaper Upkeep (based on what I have read)
Cheaper Out the door: Though I'm not sure how much cheaper
Better Ride (to be fair I have never even driven a diesel yet)

Diesel Pros:
More power and better towing experience
Longer engine life expectancy
Possible better MPG but will it be 35% better to offset fuel cost?
Would consider a 3/4 diesel which would give us the option to move up to a 5th wheel down the road without having to change TV. Could a gasser handle a 5th wheel?

Looks like maybe the Ford 7.3 V8 (Godzilla) might be an interesting option for me??? Or does this sound like a good fit for a diesel engine?

Again, I know very little about all of this and am trying to educate myself so I apologize if some of the above is inaccurate. Any and all advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels are nice but would be overkill for what you are asking IMO. Unless you go to one of the new smaller ones but I am not sure what their capabilities are. Will you get 35% better mpg NO, but you will feel happier I guess.

You have a 17, pulls what you want and you seem pretty happy. Check and see if there is a regear option available that would help some.

Chebby has the v6 diesel, cummins is avail in the titan, not sure if dodge is getting a smaller one and the f150 is coming out with a v6 diesel I think. My SIL has a v6 turbo from ford and it pulls his TT just fine with 3:73 gearing.

I would say unless going to mountain all time a gasser like yours should be fine, diesel and probably the 7.3 overkill unless you plan to go bigger soon.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The debate of "gas vs diesel" is ages old and never really changes.

Yes, the diesel will give you the best overall performance, the best overall fuel economy, and will put a smile on your face every time you press the skinny pedal, IFFFFFF you can get past the co$t aspect of it, and realize that it will NEVER pencil out financially.

A diesel is going to cost more, period. More to own. More to operate. More to maintain. That is a fact. You will not come out ahead financially owning a diesel for towing a camper 5000 miles a year. You will, however, get to the campground faster.

There is no reason a gas engined truck can't tow a 5th wheel. Asking such is really silly. You just have to get past the fact that the engine is going to run at more then 2000RPM, probably for long stretches. You are NOT hurting the engine. You are NOT hurting the truck. Gasoline engines need to rev to make power.

There are also different levels of "5th wheel." You can get anything from a 7000lb up to a 21000lb triaxle behemoth. You probably want something more than a 3/4 ton gasoline engined truck for the larger trailers.

Ride quality difference would be negligible between the trucks. I've never heard anyone even try to create a rumor to that effect. If anything the diesel should ride better due to the extra weight.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a diesel and don't look back.