cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost contents of refregerator

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
When not in use my Wolf Creek sits on solar. So I run the refrigerator on Propane all summer.

every couple days I check the propane regulator to see if its Red, maybe bang on the bottle to hear the sound difference, and check the refreg temps.

were getting ready for an extended trip, I open refreg, its 85 deg :?
everything in freezer is thawed.

Turns out the propane switched over, ran both tanks dry but regulator never turned red.

This regulator is only 2 years old. color changes if I turn off bottles one at a time and test it.

I really hate the way RV parts quality seems to have gone to hell.
Remember when change over regulators always worked?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.
20 REPLIES 20

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
this dometic device seems to work good. put one hand on top of tank, than with other hand, push device up against tank (device square with side of tank), the tip collapses a little to activate it. if the LED is red, that cross section is empty, if its green, that cross section is covered with propane.

tried it on several tanks, seem to reflect true measurements :).
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Replace with Cavagna brand regulator. Search Amazon. Indicator seems to have a superior mechanism.

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info .... may have saved me some hassle.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
brholt wrote:
towpro wrote:
Lantley wrote:
The technology exist to resolve this issue.Get a trma level check. To easily check your LP level. They are not cheap but they are cheaper than losing a fridge/freezer full of food.

Thanks Lantley. I just bought the one Dometic stamps there name on from Amazon for just over $32.00
click here
I paid a couple $ more and bought it direct from Amazon so if it don't work I can return it no questions asked. I do maintain 8 LP tanks between RV's and grills, maybe this will make it easier.

I'll just note that I have the Domestic. First one I got rattled and didn't work because the "cages" which hold the battery were loose. Second one worked but I just dropped it in the dirt and sure enough the batteries are loose again. I may try and re solder them but not sure it will work. I suspect the Truma is much better made.

Note I have the dometic style/type as well. It does not work as well as the Truma. It sort of works OK but you have to fuss with it to get an accurate reading.
I recommend the Truma over the knock offs. In this case taking the savings was not the right move. I should have paid for the one that works with ease vs. the cheaper erratic model ....LOL
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
The technology exist to resolve this issue.Get a trma level check. To easily check your LP level. They are not cheap but they are cheaper than losing a fridge/freezer full of food.
Truma level Check

HMMM .....I didn't know this technology existed. Not knowing the tank level is always frustrating.

I found one on Amazon that is a little cheaper, and uses the ultrasonic technology also....and has pretty good reviews. I may get on and see how it works.....Some of the reviews say it works on some tanks and not others ....If it doesn't work on mine I'll just send it back.

Link
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
towpro wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Thanks Lantley. I just bought the one Dometic stamps there name on from Amazon for just over $32.00
click here
I paid a couple $ more and bought it direct from Amazon so if it don't work I can return it no questions asked. I do maintain 8 LP tanks between RV's and grills, maybe this will make it easier.

I'll just note that I have the Domestic. First one I got rattled and didn't work because the "cages" which hold the battery were loose. Second one worked but I just dropped it in the dirt and sure enough the batteries are loose again. I may try and re solder them but not sure it will work. I suspect the Truma is much better made.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
towpro wrote:
I just bought the one Dometic stamps there name on from Amazon for just over $32.00
click here

Very cool doo-dad, but how does it work?

It will be here tomorrow :).
2022 Ford F150

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
I just bought the one Dometic stamps there name on from Amazon for just over $32.00
click here

Very cool doo-dad, but how does it work?
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
(a tank fill cost $6.00 where I live).

WOw... that's dirt cheap for propane. I can't fill my tank for under $25.00 for each one.
Bob

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

click here
2022 Ford F150

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I leave both my RV's refrigerators running all summer.

My 5th wheel refreg is turned on from March-November. My brother and I have our own private campground. The electric bill goes up about $1 per day per RV when plugged in with refreg on electric. (not including AC usage when occupied).

The Wolf Creek runs on propane all summer since it never gets plugged in unless in a campground. Since I was full of propane in late May, now I know a tank is good for just over 1 month. (a tank fill cost $6.00 where I live).
This tells me propane is more efficient for refrigerator than electric.

I don't unload the Wolf Creek until Thanksgiving. so when I use the truck to shuttle back and forth between home and 5er I can also carry food in WC refreg, I also have the WC fresh water tank setup so I can suck water out of it and into the 5er (no water on site at 5er location). Plus I tow my motorcycle trailer behind truck (which also has a 35 gallon water tank on-board).

I truly believe the refrigerators last longer when used like I do. The Amish neighbors use the same style system for refrigeration, and the don't have the system failures like the RV world does. But I have no data to back this up.
2022 Ford F150

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks to me like there was a failure in the primary sensor circuit (PSC). The PSC operates automatically whenever the door is opened. The problem occurs when the PSC does operate on a timely basis.

The fix is to operate the PSC on a regular basis. It is commonly activated multiple times during the evening. The PSC needs to open the fridge, remove an adult beverage, and verify that it is cold. In the event the adult beverage is warm, that should trigger an alert on the PSC.

To put this in layman's terms... Drink beer more often, and verify the bottles are cold.

Good luck,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MORSNOW wrote:
I shut mine down and prop it open to let everything defrost and dry out.

Me too.

I tried running mine all summer on electric (back when I had the DF 21SW toy hauler) and the amount of electricity it consumed made a huge difference in my power bill at home... so I quit leaving it on, and have never left my fridge on in the AF811 truck camper.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Truma level Check

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637