cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lots of crazy weather this week anyone "prepping" their TC?

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the Ice and snow zone it looks like so are planning on getting the TC up in the saddle with full propane, gas and generator ready to roll. part of the plan is for extended power outages in this area and part is for a potential medical appt/ ER run during the storm. Nothing like planning for unknown "excitement" anyone else prepping for had to deal with using the TC in an emergency situation? Am I forgetting anything or would you recommend anything? Or are you simply doing anything different with your TC do to different weather pattern in your area?

Thanks,

T
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L
21 REPLIES 21

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
Being prepared is always a good thing. Buzzcut gave you some great advice on additional items. We like to store a large, 0 degree rated, sleeping bag in our camper. Thick hunter socks are also a must to keep warm. When you mentioned generator, is that a portable unit or is that in your WC850?

Mike, I have many of the things that have been suggested or mentioned in this post in my WC850 but am still prepping it.....there is just so much room in this thing....I moved up from a pop up!

As for the generator no it is not the factory generator it is a Honda 2000. I wanted the generator space for storage! I'm hoping to here from forklift soon on some of their bumper accessories.....! I plan to carry the H2000 on the front hitch....but really want a winch there too.

My WC850 gen/storage compartment is lined with metal side on the inside, has the gas line but does not have the electrical conduit connections. I ordered it without the generator prep package so it would seem I got most of the prep.....I'm seeing a bumper mounted grill in the future!

My prep plans this weekend with a foot of snow forecast (didn't/isn't happening) was to retrieve TC from its normal location and get it mated up to the truck so that we could leave as early as needed tomorrow to deal with medical appointments.....I'm hoping with the weather to get into a cancellation tomorrow in addition to a scheduled appointment.

TC will be a great warm place to hang out when not sitting around in the hospital!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and suggestions......so looking forward to getting this thing "stocked" for the camping season that is looming ahead!!!! I did plan to winter camp but medical priorities have taken over. Hope to see meet some of you at OX14!
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Being in So Cal, there isn't much to "prep" for weather-wise. Our concern are big earthquakes-which I'm afraid, we are overdue for.

Even if I were able to get the camper loaded onto the truck in the event of some catastrophic natural disaster, it would likely be a nightmare getting out of town.

Cupboards and drawers are typically stocked with basic, ready-to-eat type food, coffee, batteries, portable radio, toiletries and some dog food for Fido.

I usually keep at least SOME water (maybe 5 gals) in the fresh tank. I try to flush it regularly to keep the tank from getting funky. In addition, I keep two 7 gal containers of water on board no matter what. Get into a situation out in the boonies without some extra water, and you're screwed. Picked up a few of those 'Lifestraw' deals if the water system happens to get compromised. FYI-not easy to drink from. Semi-clean water, they're fine

We keep some extra "camper" clothes, shoes (boots for me) and of course, tools.

That's about it.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

waykat
Explorer
Explorer
Just prepping our new to us 1131 for our first trip in it to Moab next weekend. Looking forward to a new camping season. Best of luck with the snow, we have a lot in the mountains but rain in the valleys.
Wayne, Kathy and the Triplets
2007 Lance 1131
2010 Ford F-350 DRW 6.4L

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowing here now and 10 below Sunday night. Have to go put more wood in the stove,stay warm everyone.

BobTowne
Explorer
Explorer
1mtnman wrote:
The only thing I am prepping for is my upcoming trip to view the Sandhill Crane migration near Grand Island, Nebraska. I'll be out there by the 2nd week of March.
Here in Colorado we are 50+ degrees one day and 25 the next. Hoping for a warm week while sitting in a blind waiting for the show.

We have a sandhill migration stop here in N. Cal., too - near Lodi. They are magnificent birds - great article about your "flocks" in the March "Smithsonian". Hope you're able to see them en-mass.

We're on our way to Pinnacles National Monument this week. It's our second time out in the last two weeks after an 18-month hiatus for illness - wow, it's great to be back out! Looking for wildflowers this time after the rains (finally). We may be a little early...

We hope the weather in the rest of the country behaves itself for you guys back East.
GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
It is always reassuring to have an "escape pod." Even in Florida, it is nice to be able to run,in comfort, if we have to.

Often the years we used it often , even if we just waiting out a long power outage.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
-44c with windchill, -32c without today. TC always ready to go with the exception of water. Propane topped up, generator ready, cat heater, freeze dried food, lots of comforters, TC plugged in to keep batteries ready.

On edit - forgot to add all vehicles are gassed up and extra gas cans full.

Had TC out this past week to shoot out of, was nice to have a warm spot to get back to.

Suppose to warm up to freezing this week so maybe to the mountains next weekend to shoot.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Detroit Free Press wrote:
What a Michigan winter: Unless you're 130, you've never seen snow like this

The last time Detroiters endured such a cold and snowy winter, a leading industry in town was cigars, J.L. Hudson was preparing to open his first downtown store and the University of Michigan just recently started playing football.

That was 1880-81 โ€” more than 130 winters ago.

โ€œWhen you combine the snow and the cold, thereโ€™s nobody alive that has experienced a winter worse,โ€ said Rich Pollman, warning coordination meteorologist for the White Lake Township office of the National Weather Service.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140301/NEWS05/303010014/Record-winter-Detroit-Michigan
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
The sun is rising over the mountains around 7:30am today and we should be in the upper 30's-low 40's here in south central Alaska...nothing but sunny blue skies in the forcast! Why do you guys live where it's sooo cold and snowy? :h
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Bedlam
No foul weather here, but we are camping in our driveway for the week as we paint the inside of the house.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always keep our backpacking gear in the truck camper. Small Water purifier, portable stove, headlamps, extra batteries, down sleeping bags, Dehydrated food, tent etc. It works out great being prepped and ready to go but mainly have it just in case when we are camping we decide to make it a partial backpacking trip. I had an instance where my rubber propane line running to my bottle sprung a leak and my entire bottle ran out. Thankfully I had my small backpackers stove I could still boil water and make a meal. It was also nice to have the down sleeping bags because the furnace wouldn't work either.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
No trips planned. We're basically snowed in. Spent half a day on the tractor plowing out driveway and down the road to the main road so we could even get our 4WD vehicle out. Pulled a couple of 4WD PUs out of the ditch. Looks like today will be the same in Wyoming. We're 18 below right now and the wind is howling. They say more than 30 below wind chill.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Being prepared is always a good thing. Buzzcut gave you some great advice on additional items. We like to store a large, 0 degree rated, sleeping bag in our camper. Thick hunter socks are also a must to keep warm. When you mentioned generator, is that a portable unit or is that in your WC850?
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing I am prepping for is my upcoming trip to view the Sandhill Crane migration near Grand Island, Nebraska. I'll be out there by the 2nd week of March.
Here in Colorado we are 50+ degrees one day and 25 the next. Hoping for a warm week while sitting in a blind waiting for the show.