cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making an offer question

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
How do you decide what to offer a dealer? Certain percent off msrp or other? We bought our first before I found this site. Sold that now looking again. Found one but not sure what to offer. It is a Keystone Hideout 28BHSWE. Offered at $22988/ msrp they say is $29800. What would you offer? Even though new we do plan to get it inspected prior to sale. Do we do that before coming to an agreement, during or after. Thanks.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed
17 REPLIES 17

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
The internet is your friend in this situation. Do your research and walk into the dealership prepared and more than willing to walk out without making a purchase.

Remember that once you are face to face with the dealership, they have all kinds of techniques to make the deal better for them. They will read your body language...and know if you are in love with a specific RV.

I have had success looking at the online prices of large dealerships near where the RVs are built and then negotiate in the deal other perks such as throwing in a high end hitch or vent covers, etc.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I would get a quote from Holman and consider how much more you are willing to pay for your travel. For about $30k MSRP, I'd start with an offer at $19k and maybe accept $21k if your location is the state of Washington.

Holman doesn't carry the WE version.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Offer half then break the blank stare with a chuckle and ask for a counter.
Know your price before you start.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Good info to ponder as we research. We have others we like too and always ready to walk if we don't like a deal.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a quote from Holman and consider how much more you are willing to pay for your travel. For about $30k MSRP, I'd start with an offer at $19k and maybe accept $21k if your location is the state of Washington.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I had agreed on a price at an RV show for our current trailer. It was going to take a few weeks for delivery since my actual trailer was being built as we were negotiating. Since I had the time after the show and before delivery, I was able to do lots of research online. I found and noted a bunch of dealers across the country with lower pricing for the same unit. I told the dealer they need to do better if they want my business and I ended up getting another $3k off the price of the trailer prior to taking delivery.

Research pays!
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
What counts is the difference in price between your trade-in and theirs.

There are some '16s for 19K online.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Good old fashioned telephone. Find the brand & model you want and write down the information including all options. Check the internet for dealers in your state (or even further away) that sell that brand. Start making phone calls asking if they have that model. If they have it ask for their best price. After getting their price tell them thanks and you will get back to them after calling other dealers for prices. Odds are they will tell you to call them back if you get a better price. Eventually it will come down to extra options added so you know you are comparing apples to apples.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Community Alumni
Not applicable
30% off MSRP is a joke these days. Dealers, even manufacturers, know that everyone is going to come in looking for 30% off MSRP. So they just adjust the MSRP to add in the expected 30% off. The consumer walks out thinking they got an awesome deal and the dealer gets the profit margin they wanted.

Searching the internet for similar trailers is a good start. When looking for the lowest price on the internet, take into account the transportation costs from the factory to the dealer. Often times you can find the lowest prices in the states near the factories, partly because they have very little to no transportation costs. I'm not sure if Keystone has factories out west, but you could be looking at couple thousand dollars in transport cost alone. Put more weight behind prices that are near you or areas that you're willing to travel to for the trailer.

I like to look up about how much the trailer will be worth after I pull it off the lot. You can use NADA Guides to get the price off of used 2016 units. Reasonably, no you will never be able to get down to that price. You have to remember that you're buying a new unit, there's some transport costs, and the dealer does need to make some profit to pay their bills. However being aware helps keep you from straying too far from the value. The last thing you want is to have life change quickly after you purchase, you need to unload the trailer, but you've overpaid by $10k.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
everything is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. I would look around the area at competitors and privet sales then start low. worst they can do is say no.

ditto
Bob

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Search web for other units, note prices for same model at other locations. Use as ammunition to negotiate your best price. Your geographic area may sell at higher prices but you can learn what they sell for in other areas of the country and use that to your advantage. Keystone is widespread.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I always prefer competition for my dollar. It helps to have a second, or even a third choice from the dealer's competition. Some may say that a low-ball offer isn't good negotiating (I do it always), but the way I look at it is their original sticker price is their "high-ball" starting point. And I always keep in mind that I can get up and walk (over to the next dealer).

If the dealer knows that you really want THAT rig, they have the upper hand in the negotiating process, IMHO

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would search the web for the cheapest you can find it and start lower than that number. If they take your first offer usually you did not get the best deal. If they throw in a bunch of stuff same thing probably. I have the bad habit of heckling days over a few hundred dollars, in the end it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I read some where that people who spend a ton of time haggling over prices and hours at the dealer and in the end get a better price are less satisfied with the purchase over those who spend less time at the dealer and pay more. Go figure

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO always good if the dealer. Knows you are dealing with. Multiple dealers. I do negotiating via email. Then when we go to the dealer all we are concerned about is do we want that Traile, car or whatever. Price is already set...
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.