cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mammoth and extended hitch

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am trying to configure my (yet to be purchased) rig.

Long bed 4x4 Dodge dually and Host Mammoth.

Looking at extended Hitch bars from etrailer, there is a 3 footer that I like. My question is this: is it long enough? The camper sticks out over 3 feet (11.5 ft camper in an 8 ft bed) and I would hate to buy the hitch bar and find it too short.
8 REPLIES 8

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Flashman, what are you intending to tow?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
I have more of my Mammoth on the bed than a pickup and can get away with a 36" model. I went with a 42" so I had sufficient room to slide open the tray while hitched. A pickup will need a 42" or 48" SuperTruss.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a 18 inch hitch with my 9 1/2. It's long enough. A lot depends on the ball mount length.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
We tried a 42 inch extension with our Host Yukon and it bounced too much to carry our bikes. Went with a Super hitch too tow our Jeep.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
42" with my Mammoth on a Ford. Probably best to measure after mounting the camper.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I highly doubt 36" is enough. With my 11' camper on my Chevy dually a 48" Super Truss is barely long enough. My ball is only about 6" beyond my camper bumper.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put the camper on and grab tape measure.
The hitch doesn't end with the bed, but sticks farther under the bumper.
Depends on the truck that can add 8"
Than measure trailer tongue. Some trailers will be ok with ball under the camper, some will crash on turns.
Make a jig imitating the tongue with corner of the trailer and turn it around on the point where proposed hitch might go.
You have to balance between making set danger to drive and set that will crash on turns, so you don't have margin for error.

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Everest and bought a 48" Reese extension. I later cut it back to 42". With the 2" receiver and ball you gain about 5 more inches. I doubt that 36" will be long enough to insure than you can make sharp turns.The length I have works great.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7