cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturer's and their Multiple sub-brands

thejrod
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any easy way to wade through the bazillion sub-brands that each manufacturer seems to offer?

For example, Forest River must have 15 different sub-brands or model lines (whatever you call them), but they all basically appear functionally identical. Is there a way to tell them apart? I.e. is one particular line good for dry camping (bigger tanks, etc), and one line is better for park camping? Cold weather vs hot weather? More open interiors vs. sectioned? Budget vs. high end? I can't tell a damned thing from looking online, and my googlefu is at least brown belt...
10 REPLIES 10

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your question really has no answer because it is based on opinions. Some would swear that laminates are superior to stick and tin, or metal studs are better than wood etc. etc.

In my opinion the floor plan is the most important, followed by weight and of course cost. Every dealer will tell you what they do to improve their product over the competition. It is up to you to decide of their “improvements” are all that important.

I like my Dutchmen because of the trim and appliances, other may think that the frame or the windows are the most important features.

In the end, you have to look and decide what you like.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
*Edit - wrong thread, whoopsie.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Northwood or Outdoor RV. They make TT's with good tank capacities as well as most have higher cargo capacity.

thejrod
Explorer
Explorer
So even if I go in person, I still can't tell how they are constructed.

What brands are recommended? I'm lookin for decent quality construction (doesn't have to be super light), 27-30ft, 3-slides, $25-35k street price.... My current Eclipse is pretty spartan, I'd like to get something with a nicer feel to it. Seen some Forest Rivers that look nice, as well as Heartland. But fresh tanks all seem too small for that size of trailer for dry camping.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is doubtful that any one brand is going to let another get a jump on them in such a highly competitive market. The model differences reflect construction methods such as wood vs. metal studs, stick and tin vs. laminated, laminate A vs. laminate B etc.

The same supply base and labor force is used by almost all manufacturers and they manage to sell 300,000 unit a year.

For those who want higher quality, it is out there. I saw a 28 ft. Air Stream for a paltry $94,000.00 or one of those tiny houses for $65,000.00.

For the rest of us mortals we need to look at each companies selling points and decide which we like best.

The dealer is also part of the mix; and yes he is going to make a profit.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I see the same thing with RVs I transport. One factory makes multiple "name brands" with the same floor plans... brand X might be a lower end style of brand Y.
Dealer A sells brand X, dealer B, located 15 miles away sells brand Y.

Examples I see are Springdale and Hideout.

I also think it has to do with maximum dealer exposure.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
On the comment about dealers:
It all has to do with exclusivity. One dealer may have "Nomad" trailers exclusivity in a city, but the guy down the street sells "Aljo" trailers. Same trailer, made in the same Skyline MFG plant, with the same interior trimmings, even the same model number.

At least you can see they are the same, unlike mattresses...

Ya just gotta go out and look and touch them, get the brochures, then do your research online.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
It is all a shell game. You had bad quality with brand X? Sales person directs you to brand Y fully knowing they were both made at the same plant by same folks. It is just another example of the RV idustry and how they treat the consumer. Real problem is we keep buying this stuff. Shame onus
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is not uncommon to keep brands as consolidation happens. They want to keep the brand equity and maximize it. Other companies that have not acquired others seem to want to have sub brands also... then you have new companies that have sub brands and they are supposedly different levels of luxury, but all made on the same manufacturing lines by the same workers with the same skills... if their workmanship is poor, then it carries across brands...

Agree, they also do it to have more dealers as others have said..

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Just compare the specifications of each. They do this so they can have more dealers.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel