cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

maxxis tires

retired1
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a set of Maxxis tires for our TT 2 years ago. Maintained them properly and now they are comming apart. In the last month we lost tread on one and now another has a large lump. Discount tire no longer recommends them and recomends the new updated Carlye tire.
Retired1
33 REPLIES 33

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I have Maxxis ST tires. I ordered them. Tried to take advice from the forum here. I ordered my tires from my local tire dealer. Before we pulled out on our trip last year I realized I didn't replace the spare. The local dealer didn't have time to order a Maxxis so I just had them put on a Tow-Max as a spare. Ran that way for about 8 months. 4 Maxxis tires on the ground, 1 Tow-Max on the spare carrier.

Two camping trips ago I parked my trailer, herd a slight HISSSSSS sound. Found a puncture on one of my Maxxis tires.

I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maxxis Tires are not supposed to do this!!!!! RV.net said they were the BEST!!!!! ...............LOL

so.. what did I do to resolve this issue? I put my brand new spare Tow-Max "China Bomb" on the trailer and finished camping.

Repaired the Maxxis and put it on the spare tire rack. At this point, I still have the Tow-Max on the ground.

I think I'm going to leave it there as a test. If I start having tire problems we will see if its just the Tow-Max or if it impacts all of the tires.

All that said.. Maxxis are not perfect, they are not impervious to punctures, they are not impervious to blow outs if under inflated, damaged, etc, etc.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
As much as I would like to see the results of this "test",,,, my conscience is forcing me to tell you that this could end up being a expensive experiment for you.
I have had a TT damaged when a tire came apart.
The damage can be horrendous.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
retired1 wrote:
Bought a set of Maxxis tires for our TT 2 years ago. Maintained them properly and now they are comming apart. In the last month we lost tread on one and now another has a large lump. Discount tire no longer recommends them and recomends the new updated Carlye tire.

I did a search on RV.net on the subject and found 15 other disgruntled Maxxis ST 8008 tire users since 2010. Most came in '12 and '13 years.
Most looked like larger sizes for our heavier trailers.

Maxxis hasn't been around long making trailer tires compared to our oldest ST tire makers (Goodyear and Carlisle). Some folks report Maxxis recommends using minimum pressure charts for the ST8008s. Most folks know tires on a trailer are happier when operated at max pressures. Tire experts also recommends doing so.
Some folks report they ran the correct pressures but whos correct pressure recommendations. Was the tires ran at a minimum pressure or their max sidewall pressures. Makes a difference some especially miles down the road. Tire damage is cumulative.

IMO at some point Maxxis tech line will have to move off those minimum pressure recommendations for the 8008s.
Hell I asked their 1-800 tech line if they would recommend their U-168 commercial grade LT for my tri axle GN trailer with OEM LTs on it. The tech said LT tires couldn't be used in a trailer position. I told her thanks anyway and have a good day.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Maxxis ST tires. I ordered them. Tried to take advice from the forum here. I ordered my tires from my local tire dealer. Before we pulled out on our trip last year I realized I didn't replace the spare. The local dealer didn't have time to order a Maxxis so I just had them put on a Tow-Max as a spare. Ran that way for about 8 months. 4 Maxxis tires on the ground, 1 Tow-Max on the spare carrier.

Two camping trips ago I parked my trailer, herd a slight HISSSSSS sound. Found a puncture on one of my Maxxis tires.

I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Maxxis Tires are not supposed to do this!!!!! RV.net said they were the BEST!!!!! ...............LOL

so.. what did I do to resolve this issue? I put my brand new spare Tow-Max "China Bomb" on the trailer and finished camping.

Repaired the Maxxis and put it on the spare tire rack. At this point, I still have the Tow-Max on the ground.

I think I'm going to leave it there as a test. If I start having tire problems we will see if its just the Tow-Max or if it impacts all of the tires.

All that said.. Maxxis are not perfect, they are not impervious to punctures, they are not impervious to blow outs if under inflated, damaged, etc, etc.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
As mentioned in my reply to Coolbreeze, Sendek is the manufacturer. Specs as follows. Model # TO7-45545GM Gray Machined. Size 14" x 5.5"; Bolt Circle 5/4.50; Offset +0; Center Bore 3.19; Load Rating = 1900# @ 60psi

gmw photos wrote:
What is the brand of your rims ?

I think if you do some research on that, you may find that your Sendel wheels are load limited to 1900 pounds, but are not strictly pressure limited to 60 psi.
When checking to see if I could use 65 psi load range D tires on my Sendel wheels, I got three separate emails from Sendel, Tredit ( the Sendel wholesaler ) and from Cruiser RV stating it was safe to use 65 psi in my wheels ( same size and rating as yours ).

Sendel also states all their wheels are built to SAE J2530 standards, which refer us further to SAE J328. As I read those standards for test procedure, these wheels would have to be rated for 65 psi, which corroborates what I got from the wheel manufacturer ( importer actually ), wholesaler and RV company.

Was good enough for me. I put high pressure valve stems in, and inflate my load range D LT tires to 65 psi and go camping.

thewhitehat
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't going to wait for my Towmax tires to fail. I had already put 1500 miles on them, and was tired of looking at pictures (on another forum) of blown tires just like mine. I now have the Maxxis.
Will they prove to be a good choice? Time will tell.
2013 Keystone Cougar 30FKV
2008 F250 Lariat Crew Cab
Holding 'er steady with a Hensley Arrow Hitch
Running Maxxis ST225/75R 15E at 80 psi
Wife, son, dog, me

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Are Maxxis cheap tires?

Mine were about $146ea OTD.........4 years and over 12,000 miles, no complaints.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are Maxxis cheap tires?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned in my reply to Coolbreeze, Sendek is the manufacturer. Specs as follows. Model # TO7-45545GM Gray Machined. Size 14" x 5.5"; Bolt Circle 5/4.50; Offset +0; Center Bore 3.19; Load Rating = 1900# @ 60psi

gmw photos wrote:
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went to the manufacturer. My model is 60#. They have other sets that are rated higher. My aluminum wheels are by Sendek. The machined gray aluminum wheel.

coolbreeze01 wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Actually, I looked into the Kumho's, but alas they are 65psi tires, and my rims are 60psi.

But in any case, even with the regular ST size tire my trailer has, I have way more than adequate margin. 1760#, or 7040# for all four tires, and a GVWR of 4950#.

They actually say 60# max? That is cutting it close.
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Actually, I looked into the Kumho's, but alas they are 65psi tires, and my rims are 60psi.

But in any case, even with the regular ST size tire my trailer has, I have way more than adequate margin. 1760#, or 7040# for all four tires, and a GVWR of 4950#.

LarryJM wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
The Maxxis ST tire continues to gain in popularity based on the number in the chorus now. Excuse me while I find my seat in the baritone section.

Watch out the Kumho 857 ensemble group is gaining members ... :B

Larry

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

They actually say 60# max? That is cutting it close.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II

LarryJM wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
The Maxxis ST tire continues to gain in popularity based on the number in the chorus now. Excuse me while I find my seat in the baritone section.

Larry
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps a word about how Discount Tire works is in order.

Because Discount Tire carries sooooo many brands, they can't possibly store every size, in every brand, in every line of tires. So they leave it up to the individual store to select what each store stocks. In theory, each store has immediately available what is selling.

They also has warehouses - and the same logic is applied. So each warehouse has immediately available what is selling at the stores it services.

So what is stocked at an individual store - or at the regional warehouse - may or may not be a reflection of anything other than what is selling. I would think tires for trailers would be very far down the list of quantity sold.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com