cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

maxxis tires

retired1
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a set of Maxxis tires for our TT 2 years ago. Maintained them properly and now they are comming apart. In the last month we lost tread on one and now another has a large lump. Discount tire no longer recommends them and recomends the new updated Carlye tire.
Retired1
33 REPLIES 33

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
I ran one set of Maxxis 6+ years, I bought another set. Buy whatever you feel most comfortable with. Our anecdotal evidence is completely unscientific.

Your last two sentences are right on the money!

I am sure no one is waiting to see Maxxis tires fail, but there are those of us here who are more than a little tired of the Maxxis-worship, especially at the expense of other tires which are more widely used and which likely have the same failure rate given the same level of (mis-)use. Any tire thread seems to quickly converge on the chant for "Maxxis" as a panacea for all things tire related, meanwhile there are many other tires out there which perform just fine when used as designed but which are "dissed" without any scientific or statistical bases. Discount Tire is often derided because they somehow have not managed to grasp the wisdom of stocking Maxxis tires, although I can see Maxxis listed on their website. Strange that. Tire Rack don't appear to list Maxxis on their website. Strange also.

I am about to get a new RV at the end of ths month, and I note that it may come with four Chinese Westlake Super ST C range radials, not even Goodyear Marathons! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, just to end my rant and go back to the subject - Maxxis are probably just as good as any other tire out there and should be used as designed. Enjoy whatever tires you have, and just make sure they are fresh, covered when not in use, inspected often for damage such as sidewall cracking and uneven wear, and changed out every 5 years regardless of tire wear.

Our anecdotal and unscientific evidence is also based on many years of use and experience which may not have statistical relevance yet the facts are still the facts. The Maxxis ST tire continues to gain in popularity based on the number in the chorus now. Excuse me while I find my seat in the baritone section. BTW, the NHTSA recommends only that you inspect more frequently after 5 years for degradation, not replace automatically.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

tony_l1
Explorer
Explorer
retired1 wrote:
Bought a set of Maxxis tires for our TT 2 years ago. Maintained them properly and now they are comming apart. In the last month we lost tread on one and now another has a large lump. Discount tire no longer recommends them and recomends the new updated Carlye tire.

With all this going on still no blow out? Makes me glad I bought maxxis knowing I'll have time to get replacements before being stranded.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
call the evidence anything you want there have been plenty of people on all kinds of trailering forums reporting their success with the Maxxis and failures with many other brandsโ€ฆ reputations good or bad are built over time and one ST brand stands out and thatโ€™s a fact

Shavano, I would argue my post was not a flame, but thatโ€™s your callโ€ฆ

Back to the topic of the OPโ€ฆ he did say Maxxis and again I have to ask what Maxxis???

when the OP was looking for tires a couple years ago, he was questioning about using and sizing P rated or LT tiresโ€ฆ

the recommendations given to him in that thread were for the Marathon, Kumho 857, and the Maxxis UE 168 commercialโ€ฆ I donโ€™t think there was even a mention of the Maxxis M8008โ€™sโ€ฆ

he never responded at that time with what his decision or tire selection wasโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
All anyone can go by is their experience. In my case tires were used well within their parameters but failed constantly. After Maxxis I never had an issue again.
As to why dealers don't carry them? They're costly and not only do people want cheap but the dealer want's a big margin.

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Will let this thread stay open for now, though I am sure we've beaten this horse beyond recovery. Already deleted one post for flaming. Next delete shuts the thread.

Thanks
Don

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I ran one set of Maxxis 6+ years, I bought another set. Buy whatever you feel most comfortable with. Our anecdotal evidence is completely unscientific.

Your last two sentences are right on the money!

I am sure no one is waiting to see Maxxis tires fail, but there are those of us here who are more than a little tired of the Maxxis-worship, especially at the expense of other tires which are more widely used and which likely have the same failure rate given the same level of (mis-)use. Any tire thread seems to quickly converge on the chant for "Maxxis" as a panacea for all things tire related, meanwhile there are many other tires out there which perform just fine when used as designed but which are "dissed" without any scientific or statistical bases. Discount Tire is often derided because they somehow have not managed to grasp the wisdom of stocking Maxxis tires, although I can see Maxxis listed on their website. Strange that. Tire Rack don't appear to list Maxxis on their website. Strange also.

I am about to get a new RV at the end of ths month, and I note that it may come with four Chinese Westlake Super ST C range radials, not even Goodyear Marathons! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, just to end my rant and go back to the subject - Maxxis are probably just as good as any other tire out there and should be used as designed. Enjoy whatever tires you have, and just make sure they are fresh, covered when not in use, inspected often for damage such as sidewall cracking and uneven wear, and changed out every 5 years regardless of tire wear.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember: virtually every manufacturer of every produce has made some junk at one time in their history. All MFG'ers have a warranty dept.! One set of bad tires does not a reputation make. I have about 3000 miles on mine and they still look like new. The good is still not the enemy of the perfect. Man makes tires, not machines, not computers, not the government. Keep your heads about you.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I had never heard of Discount actually having any Maxxis tires in stock. I think every post I have read here..... They would order them for you.

Perhaps they got tired of that routine and decided to focus on selling what they could actually have in inventory.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
robsouth wrote:
I stopped in one of the local Discount tire stores the other day and was told that they no longer carry Maxxis tires. I asked why and the guy said they had found much better tires for better value and that is what they do. HMMMM

In other words, they found a brand they can make more money on.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped in one of the local Discount tire stores the other day and was told that they no longer carry Maxxis tires. I asked why and the guy said they had found much better tires for better value and that is what they do. HMMMM
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh Oh. Has the mighty Maxxis fallen?
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

byways
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, what is the date code on the tires?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles?

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Which Maxxis tire did you buy???
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet