cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May be about to move from a fiver to a TT

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had a 2006 Titanium fiver and as you may imagine it is getting worn down after probably traveling to most states and some of Canada over the years. We went out to look at CW 'big 2018 models" sale today and all the ones in their internet advert that interested us, were gone. We did see one interesting TT tho in our price range.

We left there and were passing another RV place and we pulled in to see what they have. What they had was a 2016 25Y Arctic Fox for a great price, roughly half of the new list price. It even has a Folbot strapped to the side, LOL. The salespeople had no idea what they had since Arctic Foxes are very rare down here. There isn't even a distributor in the State nor any neighboring states from the last time I checked.

I always wanted one, we would like to boondock more and this TT seems to fit the bill, it even has: a "Northwood Built, Independently Certified, Off-Road Chassis". Which would open up some backcountry camping.

Anyway if anyone has any comments about this unit or Artic Foxes in general I'd like to hear them. My introduction to them was the guy in the next site at Fishing Bridge who had one, gave us the penny tour and waxed long about their great features. He also tried to sell me m on Ram Trucks but I didn't want a truck that sounded like a Patton Tank...heh
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
30 REPLIES 30

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Let's see. What was the original topic?

We have an Arctic Fox 25Y.....really like it. Here is some feedback to the original poster:
If you are going off grid like you said, the 25Y has a lot of ground clearance. It is also pre-wired for solar if that interests you. The size and floor plan is really good for two people. It is a solid, well built trailer.

I was wondering about the solar, what does pre-wired mean, does it already have a solar converter or does this mean it just has wiring to the roof?

I think it just means wire, nothing else.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Wow.. 10 pages of AF in search.

Well, except that the OP is asking about a 2016 model... so many of those posts will be about older units. Others will be utterly irrelevant to his question.

Searching the archives is a good first move if you're looking for info on, say, how to fix an older fridge, or how to wire a trailer plug.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:

We have an Arctic Fox 25Y.....really like it. Here is some feedback to the original poster:
If you are going off grid like you said, the 25Y has a lot of ground clearance. It is also pre-wired for solar if that interests you. The size and floor plan is really good for two people. It is a solid, well built trailer.

I was wondering about the solar, what does pre-wired mean, does it already have a solar converter or does this mean it just has wiring to the roof?
Superbumper

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
The new 2004 Arctic Fox 22H I bought in 2006 (a small dealer lot queen in Illinois) set my personal standard as to how an RV should be made. Dragged that thing from Wisconsin to Alaska. Then to Maine, Florida and many other places. The only warranty work done was a leaky black tank valve. After that just normal maintenance. The only thing I wish it had was the thermal pain window option.

I toured the Northwood plant in 2011 and liked how they did things. If you inspect it and it looks good. I would say go for it if you like the layout & price is right.

Now my 2002 F250 6.0 PSD sounded like a Patton tank. I thought it was great! Everyone knew you were coming. The little kiddies cleared the road way before you got there in a campground. Even out grunted a bull in the middle of the road once.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for heavy, we have a F-350 so I doubt we will even notice 6500 pounds behind the truck, or 10000# for that matter. I think we'll put a topper on the truck and that will recover a lot of lost storage space, we haven't been storing that much in the fiver basement anyway. Sewer stuff in a tub, barbecue grill and some folding chairs mainly. All of that will go in the back of the truck with lots of space left over.
Superbumper

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I think the A F is one of the best TT out there. Well made but pricey and heavy. The one I just looked at the storage compartment went all the way across. The reason I did not buy one 10 yrs ago there was no storage compartment in front. My friend bought a AF two yrs ago and he has put over 12K miles on it without any problems whatsoever. He said he has 13 5th w and TT and this AF is by far the best RV that he has owned
samsontdog:o:W

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’ll buy it if you don’t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
maybe they should close this forum then and just let people search all the old post’s?
Either that, or just delete what was discussed the previous day and start over.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
It’s a pain reading through old posts when doing a search what with all the non sense posts.
Right.. we only get sensible, on-topic posts now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Owned my 30U AF for a year and 2 months. I put 1,000 miles on it last year and just got through with a 4,000 mile vacation.

I really like it. Build quality is outstanding IMHO. Very nice trailer.

Now I'm not like some one this forum and talk about all the roses and not talk about the thorns so now let me talk about the thorns. Some of these are not complaints; some are just observations.

#1. It's a very heavy trailer because it's built super heavy so that causes it to "tow heavy." After towing a 6K trailer for 15 years and then going to a 10K+ trailer it just feels very heavy.

#2. Having park water on the drivers side and the tank fill on the passenger side is just plain stupid.#5.

#3. Having a front compartment that goes half way across the trailer without a slide is just plain stupid. The way it is now you have to unload the whole compartment just to get to the things in the back.

#4. Having a sewer hose compartment under the back facia is just plain stupid. You have to get down on your hands and knees and be a contortionist to get it in and out. I'm not 25 years old any more so it's bad, bad, bad.

#5. Having a water dump under the trailer is just plain STUPID!!!. I could not believe this retarted move is! Crazy!

All the above said, I have fixes for 4 out of the 5 on my list. #2 I have to live with because there is no fix.

All in all I REALLY like my AF and I really think you will too.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:

Heh sorry to waste your time. While I'd like some personal comments this was mainly just an intro to the forum.
Superbumper

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s a pain reading through old posts when doing a search what with all the non sense posts.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Maybe they should close this forum then and just let people search all the old post’s?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned 2 Arctic Fox 5'vrs. They are built by Northwood Mfg. in La Grande, Or. They make their own trailer and camper-come with shocks on each wheel-ours had a 10 gal water heater. They are built as a 4 seasons camper. The 5'vr in our Sig. Pic. has about 35-40,000 miles on it. The Company is just a call away for any problems and always seemed ready to help anytime I called. If I were to buy another trailer Arctic Fox would be at the top of a very short list.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright