cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mercedes Towing Capabilities

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
The Mercedes Class B's seem to have very low horsepower. Are they measured the same as US pickup trucks? As far as towing capability, they seem that they couldn't get out of their own way.

Opinions, please?
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"
16 REPLIES 16

Bedlam
You could tow 10K lbs with a properly equipped diesel truck/truck camper combination. Otherwise, you really don't get good tow capacities in an RV until you get to the Super C's or diesel pushers.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
We really like our Arctic Fox 30U. We tow with a Chevy 2500HD diesel. It would be nice to tow with a Class B, that we could use for short trips and trips back home in Winter from Florida for the Holidays and from Canada and Upstate New York in the heat of the Summer. Probably just a wish of more than what's available, with out going nuts on the price.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Robert,
I would swag the van I use at work could do 8000 lbs. As it would weigh (just) under 6000 lbs with 2 people on board, with a 15K gvwr, that leaves 9000 lbs before hitting the gvwr. BUT, if you put the rig at gvwr, ie 8500 or say 8000, now you are left with 7000 max. It would probably do as my 96 GM 6.5 did with similar specs as far as speeds etc. 40's on 4-5% freeway grades.

Larger than this, I would not recommended it per say.

Marty

Marty. ,Mercedes aside,that is what the IVECO Daily is doing. Completely surprising people with its ability and much more so than the Sprinter. At the moment, not many have been sold as general Vans or Cab Chassis variants, virtually all of them end up as Motorhomes bases.
When you got the Daily doing what it does, most think that someone has dropped 5/6 litre Diesel into it. This is magnified in the performance of the Off Road 4x4 version, that gives the Unimog a run for its money.
IVECO used to have a " Fiat" reputation, but the Daily and some of their heavier truck offerings, have made the brand respectable.
OK about the towing ability, the 3.0l CRD is a bit of a misnomer, I am sure they have managed to cram 5.0l into that little 3.0l block and have managed to bald-facedly lie about the capacity. It is pure magic to tow with, far superior to the

blt2ski
Robert,
I would swag the van I use at work could do 8000 lbs. As it would weigh (just) under 6000 lbs with 2 people on board, with a 15K gvwr, that leaves 9000 lbs before hitting the gvwr. BUT, if you put the rig at gvwr, ie 8500 or say 8000, now you are left with 7000 max. It would probably do as my 96 GM 6.5 did with similar specs as far as speeds etc. 40's on 4-5% freeway grades.

Larger than this, I would not recommended it per say.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
rgolding wrote:

I'm always amazed that you don't see Class C's with powerful diesels.

Probably because most folks are not towing "that" big of a trailer, such that those chassis models need a big HP motor. Along with, Ford at least, has almost always had a smaller version in there vans due to cooling restraints, and not as big of an engine compartment to put a bigger innercooler like on the pickups.

Many trucks in the past, and still done on MDT's, manufactures know they will only be used as a gvwr hauler. So they power them to the gvwr, not so someone can tow with them. The MB vans are pretty much sold as vans only. The chance that folks will tow large with them is pretty small. For what it is designed as, I will admit, it works well for how I have used the one I have at work for almost 3 years, and what will be 100K miles of driving later this week, maybe early next. As it has 99K miles on it, with nothing more than maintenance items and a brake set at 92K front and rear. Tires went 80K miles. Probably could have gone a bit more, but with winter coming on......change out before rain and snow...

Marty

Mercedes have supposed to have changed the " engine characteristics" and now the Sprinter is rated for 8,000lb. I do not know what they mean, but the current 3 Litre Diesrl 3500 Chassis is only good for 4,400lb in Australia

sprintstream
Explorer
Explorer
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. We have a 2005 Sprinter Gulfstream with the 5-cyl diesel. It's 22 ft and we love it. We can drive just about anywhere but if we need to have a car we rent. Cheaper to rent then tow a car not needed very often.

We get 19-23 mpg and can tow 5000# all day long. I had to tow my son's Chrysler Concorde because it broke down. Had to sort of remind myself it was back there. Took it 400 miles and achieved 17mpg.
Was living the dream in the Ozarks
Now just living

blt2ski
rgolding wrote:

Probably because most folks are not towing "that" big of a trailer, such that those chassis models need a big HP motor. Along with, Ford at least, has almost always had a smaller version in there vans due to cooling restraints, and not as big of an engine compartment to put a bigger innercooler like on the pickups.

Many trucks in the past, and still done on MDT's, manufactures know they will only be used as a gvwr hauler. So they power them to the gvwr, not so someone can tow with them. The MB vans are pretty much sold as vans only. The chance that folks will tow large with them is pretty small. For what it is designed as, I will admit, it works well for how I have used the one I have at work for almost 3 years, and what will be 100K miles of driving later this week, maybe early next. As it has 99K miles on it, with nothing more than maintenance items and a brake set at 92K front and rear. Tires went 80K miles. Probably could have gone a bit more, but with winter coming on......change out before rain and snow...

Marty

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the postings.

What you've posted is what I've always thought.

We are looking at the possibility of towing our heavy Arctic Fox 30U with a vehicle we could use for short camping trips or travel to and from back home. So far haven't figured out that vehicle.

For work in the early 70's and 80's, I had to tow a heavy boat with an underpowered Class C. Nothing I ever want to do in my personal life.

Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

blt2ski
The GCWR for the 2500 ext van I drive at work is 15K lbs. On par with my 96 GM SW K3500 with a diesel of similar specs. This van is on par performance wise with that truck. The MB van does have a slightly lower gvwr, ie 8500 vs 9200. A 5500 GRAWR vs 6100 for the GM. I have had upwards of 8 55 gal drums, ~3500 lbs, of anitfreeze in it with out any issues. Van is 5400 empty wt.

I've also pulled a few smaller boats, granted only in the 2000-3000 lbs range. No issues.

I see no reason that this setup can not run down the road at its 15K gcwr and have issues frankly. Yes as noted, try to go up a 5% grade at 60 mph, you will not do this. It would take over 300HP to succeed at this. It will do 45-50 mph, maybe as low as 40 depending upon the road type etc at 15K.

I am also sure it more than meets specs for the new tow ratings. Then again, one has to remember, that has a low of 40 mph on a 5% grade to meet the new specs. It will do better. How much, again, depends upon multiple factors.

I get 21 running down the road at 70. 22 at 60-65, and over 23 sometimes low 24's when running on 55mph roads using cruise as much as I can.

Marty

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
On thinking about this, I don't think it's the engine that will keep you from towing heavy. It's the supension and the rest of the drivetrain that are probably not up to it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Our old F250 with the 7.3 diesel only had 185hp and in it's day it was a towing machine.

They do measure HP and torque the same by the way.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a older one 5 cyc MB think its about 155hp , it purrs just fine .I,ve had class A and C . I,d not go back. I can go donwn the road at 65mpg and climb mountains, even pass a few A,s on the way. and I get 20mpg.

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Via on the MB Sprinter chassis can tow 5,000 lbs with a 500 lb tongue weight. It has the 6 cylinder diesel with 188hp and 325 ft lb torque. Some of the older Sprinters are limited to 3,500 lb towing. As you can see from my signature, we hardly ever tow our Jeep because the Sprinter goes just about anywhere. It is so easy to drive and very little engine noise at cruising speed, 65mph for me.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that is one reason I have no interest in buying a MB based RV, I want at least 5,000 lbs. towing capacity, possibly more. depending on how remote you are located, a MB dealer may be few and far between.

bumpy