cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Metal spacers on bottom of camper

Rotaxxx
Explorer
Explorer
Just to make this short, I have fifth wheel rails in my truck to pull our fifth wheel. And we just got our truck camper for taking on long trips to the mountains, however one of the metal spacers screwed the bottom of the floor is right where my rail is in my truck. Theres just two screws per side holding it on and I was just going to move it ahead about 6". I just wasn't sure if they are placed where they are for structural support, or just there to lift the camper up a bit to let air flow under it. Will I be ok to move it? Thanks all.

And before anyone asks, yes the hight of the spacer is higher then the rails sticking up from the box.
5 REPLIES 5

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
x2 on hard to visualize the issue, but metal should be last material for spacers under the camper.
You want material with high friction like rubber mat or wood.

Not really. My 14 Backpack has 3 roll formed metal rails screwed to the bottom running parallel to the bed and 2 running crosswise, one in the front and one in the back

and... unlike the majority of posters on here, I've never run a bed mat in the bed and never had had an issue with the camper sliding around and I run off road in camber and elevation situations constantly. It's metal to Line-X on the bottom and always has been. In fact, my Lance rode on it for years and it never moved either.

My view is, movement has more to do with the angle of the tie down hardware than any bed mat.

I believe he could remove the in the way roll formed rail and be done with it, understanding however, that the off the truck capability of the unit might suffer a bit.

Your mileage my differ, but my mileage is just fine.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
An option would be to remove all of the metal spacers and then use foam or plywood pieces to make a platform to clear the FW rails. Would actually give you better overall support.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess is an old TC has spacers to raise it higher. I have no idea if there are supports 6 inches to the side or not. If you miss, I suppose you could hit something important.

I'd probably take a look under the floor to make sure. Maybe you can look from an outside opening.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on hard to visualize the issue, but metal should be last material for spacers under the camper.
You want material with high friction like rubber mat or wood.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
A picture is worth 1000 words. (I can't envision it)