Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Air/RecPro AC problem

jerryb4
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Updating AC on my Lance 1120, decided on a RecPro RP-AC2801 low profile. When I went to mount the Micro-Air 364 I removed from the old unit I cannot figure out where to mount it, it is really tight inside the AC unit.

Anybody added a Micro-Air to one of these and if so, where the heck did you put it ?

Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9

jerryb4
Explorer
Explorer
up date:
The RecPro RPAC-2801 is very tight inside, really compact and well sealed. I would have to mount the Micro-air outside the shroud secured to the camper roof. To access the compressor capacitor(which is needed to install the Micro-Air) I would have to do some dismantling, more then I want to at this point, so, I am going to install and perform trial runs with Honda 2200. Will try checking amp draw and function. Will update when possible.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
trail-explorer wrote:
jimh406 wrote:
First question, why do you think you need it?

The need for one is to "soft-start the A/C" when running on a small generator.

That's the whole purpose of the Micro Air Easy Start. It starts up the cooling fan first, then after a delay it starts up the compressor.

My point, since you missed it, was that just because he needed the Easy Start for the old AC doesn't mean he needs one to start the new AC.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:

The need for one is to "soft-start the A/C" when running on a small generator.

That's the whole purpose of the Micro Air Easy Start. It starts up the cooling fan first, then after a delay it starts up the compressor.

ScottG wrote:
If the factory cap dies while the AC is running, it will stop and no harm is done. If you have a hard start cap installed, it will allow it to keep running and it will destroy the compressor. So if you don't need it, don't use one.

So what are you saying? Don't use a factory cap and don't use a hard start cap?

Your post is confusing because it implies you need one (a cap) but then you say "if you don't need it, don't use one."

The Micro-Air is neither a factory cap or hard start cap, so I'm not real sure what your cap point is about.
Bob

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those not familiar with the A/C in question:

RecPro RP-AC2801

As to the original question, I'm not sure if these were designed to support the RecPro line, as they do not include any wiring diagrams for that model line, though they do have a generic wiring diagram that does not appear to remove the run capacitor completely from the circuit.

If I was to guess, your only option would be in the middle left hand side between the front and rear sections in the housing, attaching it in some fashion to the side of the inner shroud that I believe houses the cabin air fan housing.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Keep this in mind. If the factory cap dies while the AC is running, it will stop and no harm is done. If you have a hard start cap installed, it will allow it to keep running and it will destroy the compressor.
So if you don't need it, don't use one.

The micro-air is neither a factory cap or hard start cap, so I not real sure what your cap point is about?

3 tons

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Keep this in mind. If the factory cap dies while the AC is running, it will stop and no harm is done. If you have a hard start cap installed, it will allow it to keep running and it will destroy the compressor.
So if you don't need it, don't use one.

jerryb4
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Micro-Air, quick response, a plug for that company-they have always responded very quickly to any questions, nice. The unit is rated for outside. As to why needed, when I am boondocking and want air (not to often) I use my Honda 2200, as I had the 364 on the old unit might as well make life as easy as possible for the gen.
Thanks for the responses.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have no idea where to put it in your new unit but the one I installed was completely water proof at least that's the way it looked to me. Mount it in a different place? Just some input to the problem, good luck!
Joe