cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mixing tie down systems

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone see a problem with using Torklift mounts on the front and Happijac bumper buttons on the rear? Truck is a 1995 F350 crewcab dually. I'm guessing the truck is old enough to have the "good" bumpers.
1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S
11 REPLIES 11

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Nice to see others mixing the two brands up also. I've been using Happijac tie downs mounted to my truck and Torklift Fastgun turnbuckles for three years now. No issues whatsoever. Newer truck bumpers are fine with the additional supports included with the rear buttons...don't let the tie down police see this ๐Ÿ˜›
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
RZAR66 wrote:
Does anyone see a problem with using Torklift mounts on the front and Happijac bumper buttons on the rear? Truck is a 1995 F350 crewcab dually. I'm guessing the truck is old enough to have the "good" bumpers.

No problemo, the rear is downs don't really do nearly as much as the fronts, got thousands of travel miles this way with about 4,900 lb TC loaded...

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Happijacs all around since 2005. First on a '89 F250 diesel and now on a '91 F350. Never a problem with the buttons and these old Ford bumpers.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift up front and eyebolts on my back bumper, I don't travel very far in my camper, maybe 40-60 miles each way.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
From what I read the Ford bumpers are a little flimsy on the corners. I would go with Torklifts all the way around but it's your truck and camper.

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
We do that. We have Torklift on front and Hapijac on back bumper. Have gone around 6000 miles with this combo with no problems. Camper, loaded, weighs around 3400lbs.

Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Hapijack system and are happy with it after 15,000 miles. That being said, we haul a lighter camper than seems the norm nowadays at 3,000# fully loaded on a 2004 model Duramax 1 ton DRW truck that came from the factory set up for camper use. The bumper is a stout bugger with 4 braces on each end and toward the middle. It doesn't move. We carry the bulk of weight in camper low and toward the front, very little at the back. We also have installed a pair of buttons at each end of our receiver hitch mounted cargo tray/steps to the bumper with Derringers for that piece's stability. This arrangement effectively counterbalances any possible uplift from the camper on the bumper. To mix the systems on today's trucks it would seem to make more sense to Hapijack the front and Torklift the back. Just my thoughts, not gospel in any conversation.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
victory402 wrote:
It's exactly what I use, no problems, 5k miles and going strong.

I should add that my camper only weighs around 1300lbs.

Bedlam
If the bumper moves under your weight, it will move even more if used as a camper tie down. The buttons are fine for light campers everything else needs a better tie down anchored to your frame or receiver.

My camper is tied down to a steel deck. I looked into aluminum decks but none of the manufacturers wanted me to tie a corner down of a 4000-6000 lb TC to their aluminum deck. What do they know that button tie down manufacturers don't?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
RZAR66 wrote:

My 1996 has a better bumper than my 2015 but It still flexed a quite a bit with the happijac buttons so I reinforced the ends a little.

Simple flatbar from receiver to the inside of the bumper behind the button does the trick.

2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
It's exactly what I use, no problems, 5k miles and going strong.