cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mold in pop out bed in hybrid trailer.

Cosmicdust
Explorer
Explorer
Our family bought our first trailer last week. It is a 2016 19ft shamrock hybrid. It was folded up in our driveway during some rain, and we noticed a small pool of water on the canvas the next day when we popped out the beds. Today I took the mattress out of the end and discovered some mold on the canvas underneath where it folds down. . The inside of the camper is staying totally dry. My guess is this mold is from the water that's getting in from outside when the beds are closed us, and that it's going around the outside of the canvas and pooling at the bottom and causing mold on the canvas. There are no soft spots on the wall of the trailer or signs of water damage elsewhere. There is no sign of mold on the mattress. The same is true on the other end of the camper but it's not as bad.
So two questions:
1. How do we kill the mold that's growing?
2. How do we stop water getting in and causing more mold?
Thanks so much!
3 REPLIES 3

epeters
Explorer
Explorer
Bikendan has lots of great information. Both us being in the "wet" PNW we've learned a thing or two. I agree you have some sort of leak coming in. For a while ours would stay bone dry then I started to have water get in as you describe. Turns out the front bunk seals had compressed enough that driving in the rain, especially med to hard rain would cause water to get past the seal. I added a small seal to the existing OEM seal. Worked perfectly for me!
Erik

DW, DS, DD
2018 Nash 29S
2017 GMC Sierra
Retired --> 2004 Silverado Crewcab 1500
2008 Starcraft Antiqua - traded in
2003 Fleetwood Mesa - gone
Photos

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
You obviously have water intrusion along the seals.
Could be torn or compressed seals, warped door, bunk door clamps not tight enough or canvas getting caught between the seals when closing.

Cosmicdust, I tried to send you a PM with helpful info but apparently you aren't accepting them.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
1. diluted bleach solution, toothbrush carefully, rinse with water and dry.

2. put camper under a carport or at least under a tarp. Take it camping often, though, both to "get your money's worth" out of it and to make sure it is well and often ventilated.

Congratulations on your purchase, may it serve you well and often over the coming years. And welcome to many joyous memories in the future.