cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Storage space

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
there are a couple of decent sized but inaccessible spots in our tt for more storage.

also the spaces under the dinette and bed have poor access(lifting cushions or mattress)

the first to happen is above the fridge. Clearly the fridge cabinet was designed to accomadate a taller double door dometic and therefore there is a 12" high, 26 wide and 24 deep space closed in above the fridge. I need to maintain the flue space at the back but the rest is prime real estate!

so I'm going to remove the front panel(1/8 ply), box in the area such that the flue space is maintained and add a door. i'll post some pics as the project happens.

funny thing is that this space is meant to be "gas tight", note the big hole for the level indicator panel. there are similar holes for the thermostat and water heater switch!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
7 REPLIES 7

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have made every single unusable space in our 25 foot travel trailer into either a usable cabinet or usable drawers, and I even added a floor to ceiling unit as you come into the trailer where there was wasted space.
It has four drawers on the bottom and cabinets with shelves on the top with an electrical charging station in between
In almost all the factory cabinets I have added extra shelves.
In all our wardrobes, I have converted them to shelf units.

Now we just bought a new 2016 37 footer, and I'll have to start all over again

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
i'll finish this up tomorrow, found some decent ply in my shop, 3/8 for the floor and some 1/4 for the sides and back

the bandsaw was made in 1915 by crescent in Illinois. middle of ww1 so its pretty barebones. wheels are 20 inch, blade is 10 ft

great machine, use it everyday

ditto on the dw bit, don't understand why we have so many dishes, we could feed 8 and never do!
2008 KZ Spree 260

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Super job. :C

When I saw the pics I was going to comment on the band saw. I thought it was a commercial grade unit, heavy duty and solid.

With minimal care it will be around another 101 years.

I've found the best way to have more storage space is, have less stuff.
But, the DW has different ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Looking good there! Keep going!

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
so I got the space opened up, the front panel came out with a few taps with a hammer and the top was screwed from below

so much for sealing the flue vent space from the interior, way to go gulf stream!

now I can add a floor and back wall, sealed to the flue space and then two side walls to protect the wiring for the levels indicator, water heater switches and the thermostat, then install the door

i'll get my tripod out for subsequent pics, get the pic quality up

2008 KZ Spree 260

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
the tt is a 2008 22ft gulf stream, typical middle of the road quality. doors are nicely made, solid oak with plywood panels, the ones I'm adding will match the origanals

and here is the completed door ready for stain and top coat, held up temporarily by the hinges and a broom!!

i'll probably hinge it at the bottom and use a couple of stays to hold it level in the open position or hinge it at the top. i'll let my wife determine that one

ironically our previous tt had a similar concept, except the empty space was under the fridge. I opened it up too after the fridge fell out(almost anyway) and I had to add some structure under it

2008 KZ Spree 260

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
first step for me with this kind of project is to make the door(s)

that way the finish can dry while I do the cabinet work

I realize that most of this is way beyond normal "handiwork carpentry", but I thought there would be interest in the process

3 pics: first is a piece of rough sawn red oak, second is oak jointed planed and sawn up. dimensions are the same as the rest of the cabinet doors in the tt. third pic is the door ready for the centre panel and glueup

and for those with sharp eyes, most of my tools are older than all of us, that bandsaw is 101 yrs old

2008 KZ Spree 260