cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most suitable brand for the roughest roads?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this question has been floated numerous times but I didn't immediately locate a thread on it by searching. So, if I plan to traverse gravel, wash-boardy Forest Service roads, taking a lot of vibration and bumps, what brand of TC would you recommend and why? What construction and design issues should be considered?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
13 REPLIES 13

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
I owned an Arctic Fox camper for almost 6 years and put at least 10,000km of gravel roads on it, much of them in terrible condition. Its pretty much all the camping i did was lakes that were accessible only by truck. I was super paranoid of the slide falling apart or going out of alignment or something. But after all that time and mileage not one structural issue with that camper. Definitely well built and suitable to beat on. Had a northern-lite previous to that which held up equally well but did not have the slide.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 things:

1) Most folks over load their trucks. Hence, all the interest in suspension mods on this forum. You want to stay well under your trucks GVWR WITHOUT suspension mods. You and your truck will be much happier.

2) Most campers stick out past the truck bed. On rough roads, this rear section gets blasted with sand, dirt, mud, water, etc. The rear over hang can contribute to ground clearance issues, and make it difficult or impossible to turn around in a tight space. Buy a camper that fits completely in the truck bed.

3) Folks here love their north-south queen beds. Forget about it. Those long cab overs will flex and fail with extended off road use. Get yourself an east-west bed.

What you want is, small, light, and mobile.

(PS. Since that photo was taken, I've completely removed the four corner hydraulic jacks. This gives better clearance, and, shaved 124 pounds off the payload).
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Any of the quality brands I think will hold up to a lot of forest roads. The old AF seems to do fine with them. Can beat it down 10,20,40 mi of forest road and the biggest issue is maybe a cabinet popped open of something.
I'm more worried about the truck! (But I'm overloaded, lol)
But if that's your main gig, then I agree with above. Smaller, lighter, simpler.......or that sweet ram flatbed with the pop up posted above! Love it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The key to traveling washboards is the speed, not the weight or shocks. You find the right speed, you can glide over them. Of course, that speed may also contribute to the washboards. When we find ourselves on roads that have less than desirable surface conditions, we just slow down.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of users saying the Wolf Creek by Northwood Mfg (same manufacture as Arctic Fox) was there choice of camper for off road usage.

Click Here for an owner who uses his campers off road extensively.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
JimH has the idea. The heavier TC you have, the greater chance of something going bad on bad roads. A no frills truck camper with minimum features is best. Whether wood or aluminum is debatable. No air conditioning on roof. Smaller tanks advisable because of the added weight. No basement. No popouts. A pop up is best for overhead clearance of trees and rocks, but my bro John has already pulled his 9.5 OUTFITTER! apart on rough roads. Only a few nails were still in along the lower shear wall. The rest had popped out when his '99 Ford frame got the twists and the tie downs were too tight . It is not a one piece box. It is a shoe box with a detached roof. The potential for racking does not help the rigidity or shear strength.
The technique of the driver, ( like knowing where the speed sweet spot is on certain roads; driving on the reverse side and very edge on washboard where the rivulets are facing the best way; trying as much as possible to keep the axles parallel to each other and thus keeping the frame from twisting); build of the truck, and ability to regulate the tire pressure for differing road conditions and constant adjusting of the tie downs to fit the conditions are the best attributes to look for. Most of that comes by hard (so to speak) experience. Most of my experience came from a lifetime of Jeeping which I transferred to the TC. Picking and choosing the route on the Pinion Mountain Jeep Trail, Anza 2004:
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
4wc's are well built but you don't get a whole lot for the money.that's why we went northstar,and we go waaaay off road.so far so good.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can put a flat bed on your truck to gain more interior space,

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right here....

Four Wheel campers
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
My Outfitter Apex 8 has been some pretty rough places. I think it's suited for rough roads, narrow places, and back.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I like the one in my signature, and I bought it for just the purpose you describe (and more).

2006 Outfitter Apex 8. Aluminum frame, modest (but not minimum) weight, 44 gallon fresh water, casette toilet, 540 AH battery capacity, all the comforts of home almost, but able to handle some pretty extreme off-road travel and camping. (with a capable truck)

See my trips here if interested.
Also see Whazoo's trips in a similar camper for really extreme off road.
Cal

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
I would say smaller and lighter with minimal options. We do primarily forest road boondocks and your truck is going to be put to the test so consider that stress on your rig. Probably don't really need
AC or a generator if you are planning to go into the boondocks. We go 3 days easily with just one battery, 30 gallons of water and 12 gallon black and grey tanks for 2 people. I do carry extra water and we use the outdoor shower.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The more features you have the more that can go wrong. Still, it depends if you will slow down and have good shocks or not. I've taken mine over a lot of gravel roads and mountain fire roads without an issue over 10 years. Other people haven't been as lucky. I do slow down when I see the bigger bumps.

I can't say I'd pick one brand over another for just traveling rougher roads. There are advantages and disadvantages of each construction method. Slides are more complicated, but I wouldn't give up my slides.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member