cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1984 Travel Lite 17 footer

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everybody! I wanted to share my 17ft camp trailer I got for my family & I to use. I picked it up last year and have had to do a little work on it. But it serves us well and our family loves it!

Here's some exterior photos:

A couple shots of the interior when I first got it:

It pulls really well behind my Toyota Sequoia. Straight as an arrow and the truck can barely tell its there.

Here we are enjoying it on its very first family trip to Lake Tahoe.

And another site not far from Tahoe for trip #2

It really does make camping possible for our family!
37 REPLIES 37

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I love it! Great floor plan. I liked that peel-n-stick tile from Lowe's so well that I used it at home in the kitchen and bath. Now when I change my mind, I've not lost much 🙂
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
:C Cool. Sometimes you have to look around to find a site that you like. After awhile you will get to know the best sites in your area that you can go to for a quick break. Then you can branch out and find places that fit your needs further from home. Glad to see that you have the kids outside playing !!! Thanks for the pictures.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome camper, looks like you are having a good time with it. We have similar floorplans but I think yours has a little more style.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few shots from our first camping trip last year. We drove to Lake Tahoe and the only site that was available was a parking spot about 100ft from the highway 😞

My wife did not care for the spot at all and neither did I. Luckily there in Tahoe we had cellphone service and she was able to find another camp site about half an hour away, and so we set off to find it.

I should have known better than to listen to google... it sent me on a dirt road that was washed out in area's and had some pretty deep ruts. After about 20 minutes on this dirt road (at an average 3mph) we found an intersection where I was able to do a three point turn.

So we head back to the highway, and continue on our way to the next campground we see, which happened to be about 5 minutes from the dirt road 🙂 We didn't need any reservations and the camp ground was near vacant. We had our choice of sites and found one that was perfect!

We were pretty far from the highway, and this highway was much less traveled. It made for a much more peaceful nights rest. 🙂

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job of repairing, main thing is ya'll are using it every chance you get.
congrats on the mods and happy camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations on your TT purchase.

I am like you and would rather buy something that I can afford and go have fun with as opposed to some people that buy something so expensive that they then can't afford to use it.

Keep us posted on your adventures and progress. I love to see pictures of people working on or using there Travel Trailers.

And,,, don't be afraid to ask questions if you bump into a problem. Most people on this site can be very helpful.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
TheSubaruJunkie wrote:
westend wrote:
Did you reseal the window when you were about this?

Yes. The old seal was dry and brittle and just crumbled to pieces when I removed the window. I found some new butyl seal tape at home depot that I used when I re-installed the window.

Good deal. There are many folks that don't know that the old butyl sealants tend to fail after a few years.
Good luck with your trailer!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

Yes. The old seal was dry and brittle and just crumbled to pieces when I removed the window. I found some new butyl seal tape at home depot that I used when I re-installed the window.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TheSubaruJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for all the kind words. We do intend on making countless memories in this camper. My two boys are 6 years old and 4 years old, and its about that time they learn a little more about the wilderness and a little less about spongebob squarepants 🙂

The only area of the trailer that is an eye-sore is the kitchen area. Even though we do not cook, or eat, inside the trailer... we still like to spend time in there and we don't want to be looking at peeling wall paper that is dated.

So I set forth, removing the old wall paper to reveal ANOTHER layer of 1970s dated wall paper!

I also expected to find some dry-rot, but I didn't expect it to be this bad!

Our family had another trip planned for the upcoming weekend, so I didn't have the time (or patience) to completely disassemble my trailer to replace all the rot. So I got some more insulating spray-foam and filled in all the holes so my wall would have some structure.
36 hours later....

Now its time to do something about this hideous wall I had uncovered. At first I wanted to use metal wall tiles, but apparently those tiles cost over $20ea!?!? After wandering around Home Depot for an hour looking for a solution, I found it!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-12-in-x-24-in-Peel-and-Stick-Carrara-Marble-Vinyl-Tile-20-sq-ft-case-SS1212/206403338
Peel & Stick vinyl floor tiles! 12"x24" tiles for $1.35ea!

Here we have the window removed, and the new tiles ready to go up.

It was easy to cut thru these tiles with some heavy duty cutting sheers.

Already its looking 1,000x better!

The tile is stapled in place. Staples were placed at the top of the wall below the cabinet line, and at the bottom of the wall above the counter top. I had some ugly seams where the tiles met, and some even uglier seams where I had to cut small tile sections to fill random gaps. All of the seams and staples had to be hidden, so I picked up some "Smart Tiles" to use as a backsplash.

First I had to cut every tile in half.

Here we can see some of the bad seams under the corner of the window,

But you would have no idea it was there after looking at the finished product!

I really could not be more pleased with how this turned out. Please, nobody tell my wife what that wall looked like without wall paper! lol

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you sharing the great photos. You are certainly talented. May God grant you and your family many fun and safe trips. May the Holy Spirit be the wind at your back and the life of your party.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are on the right track. I recently downsized and bought an older trailer, 2002. It is no big deal to tear into one and make modifications to it. They are easy to pull. They are paid for. They don't depreciate hardly at all. They are easy to work on. I just put a new converter in mine and it is acting much more like a modern rig.

I hear people ask all the time how I could retire so young. Then they talk about their new kitchen remodel, the trip to France, and the payments on their RV.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Very cool. Thanks for posting the photos. I should've done something like that when I was younger.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not only was it a good find for you, but you are actually using it to make memories.

Waterops1
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice photos; looks like a nice rig. No doubt it was built a bit better than those coming off the lines today. They even put Goodyear tires on it back in its day.