Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my first disappointment

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
2015 ram 3500
took back to dealer because I was looking for the daylight running lights. was told they don't have them.
first time dodge buyer, all my GM trucks, when turned on in gear has running lights on. Not Ram. I was hoping to connect my backup camera to the 5er running lights, guess not.
does anyone drive with the headlights ON, I think it is safer to have a running light
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂
80 REPLIES 80

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
bovellois wrote:
For a feature that was supposed to enhance road safety, DRL sure created a serious hazard. Since they come on with the engine, many drivers take off at night not realizing they did not turn the light switch on to have full lighting power in the front, and more importantly, any kind of tail lights. Or they keep driving past twilight thinking the lights are on all around -- same result. DAshlight should be a clue but seemingly that's not enough. Cars built since ca. 2010 have a daylight sensor that eliminates this problem, but there are still many older cars, and distracted drivers, on the roads.

Yep, I see that all the time. Those are the ones hat need all the help they can get. However if they can't tell thier lights aren't on at night, they sure as heck aren't going to notice DRL's during the day!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
For a feature that was supposed to enhance road safety, DRL sure created a serious hazard. Since they come on with the engine, many drivers take off at night not realizing they did not turn the light switch on to have full lighting power in the front, and more importantly, any kind of tail lights. Or they keep driving past twilight thinking the lights are on all around -- same result. DAshlight should be a clue but seemingly that's not enough. Cars built since ca. 2010 have a daylight sensor that eliminates this problem, but there are still many older cars, and distracted drivers, on the roads.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I run with my fog lights on while towing during daylight that way all lights are working other than headlights.

Same here.

You can turn your fogs on without the low beams?

Rams you cam, parking lamps and fogs without headlamps.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
2015 ram 3500
took back to dealer because I was looking for the daylight running lights. was told they don't have them.
first time dodge buyer, all my GM trucks, when turned on in gear has running lights on. Not Ram. I was hoping to connect my backup camera to the 5er running lights, guess not.
does anyone drive with the headlights ON, I think it is safer to have a running light

You can have the DTRL turned on your dealer only needs to add the DTRL Sales Code to your truck then enable it.

Here are the DRL related sales codes and breakdown:

LMK is for the quad headlight style, That will enable the high beam lamp (at reduced brightness) to be the DRL.
LM5 is for projector style with LED park lights. The LED park lights will be the DRL.
LM1 is for another style that will use the low beam lamps (at reduced brightness) for DRL.

NOTE, that on the LM5 the lamps ONLY come in if the truck is in gear and the parking brake is OFF!!!!!

It took my dealer calling in the service engineer to add in the sales code for some reason. There could be a charge to enable it as they need to change the code in the BCM then turn it on.

Send me a PM if you need anymore info.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
No, but regardless of who does the service, besides you, it's luck of the draw.
Heck I had to say my name about 4 times and spell it twice when I orders a pizza tonight. Still got my pizza and it was good!
Kind of like changing oil, my names not difficult.
-Todd
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
"does going to independent void any part of warranty"

No. Just keep your receipts.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
dealer today for oil change and running lights.
dealer said they have to contact Dodge and then have to update computer, the add it to my truck. will charge 135.00.

oil change done, they put the next service tag on windshield. showed no return date ( 6months ), but showed only 4000 miles until due. had service come out and he replaced the tag. upon looking it showed I needed to return on 6-11. boy I got 1 month. ya wonder how they stay in business.
does going to independent void any part of warranty
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SuperiorBound wrote:
I always drive with my lights on, since 1983

X2 since 1967, I think Old_Biscuit has been doing since like 1963. He is Really Old :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
I always drive with my lights on, since 1983

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
mich800 wrote:

Yep. The fogs are tied to the running lamp setting. I run fogs only in the daytime when its clear. The headlights come on at dusk or when visibility isn't clear. Perfectly fine here in Texas. Of all the states that I've driven through, I've never been stopped for it. But then again I've haven't towed through Bizarro Land (California) yet.

I cannot imagine getting hassled for it. I just though the switch and to be all the way on to activate the fogs.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
mich800 wrote:

Yep. The fogs are tied to the running lamp setting. I run fogs only in the daytime when its clear. The headlights come on at dusk or when visibility isn't clear. Perfectly fine here in Texas. Of all the states that I've driven through, I've never been stopped for it. But then again I've haven't towed through Bizarro Land (California) yet.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
bbaker2001 wrote:
I was told that the daylight running lights only use 50% power of regular lights, this helps them last longer.
I have an appointment on Wednesday. will post after. also the dealer said I needed to change oil every 3 months or 6000 miles for warranty protection
I would like to get that in writing.

Oil change is 6 months or 15k. It is in your owners manual. Fuel filters 15k. You need a new dealer or need to educate the one you have. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
transferred wrote:
mich800 wrote:
transferred wrote:
Daytime running lights are neither use nor ornament, particularly the halogen ones. I actually think they are a detrimental to road safety as they give a false sense of a) your headlights actually being on and b) how much they help other vehicles see you. The LED versions are easier to see but, in my opinion, very gauche.

In the interests of safety, just leave your headlights on.

Really, detrimental to road safety. People are subconsciously turning in front of people at unsafe intervals because the other driver should have seen it coming?

Read what I wrote again and this time try to comprehend what was written. It's very clear. I see dozens of cars in heavy rain and fog with just their running lights on, the dash symbol for headlights being on is the same and I think many are mislead by this. So yes, they can be detrimental to road safety. There's a reason many mountain passes say "turn on headlights", they make it almost impossible for cars to blend in with the scenery.

Not sure where I mentioned turning in front of people. Some of you could argue in an empty room, this site is quite a trip 😉

I for one was not aware that Day time running lights didn't light the tail lights how stupid is that! :S

I also drive with headlights on 24/7/366, but there are times when you don't want them, like leaving/arriving in a campground very late or early.

there are those who don't understand the need on sunny days, well dark cars coming out of shadows and shaded areas are very hard to notice. It has just been a habit with all the drivers in my family for life, for me been about 50 years!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
mich800 wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I run with my fog lights on while towing during daylight that way all lights are working other than headlights.

Same here.

You can turn them on with only your running lights on.

Except they're only "running" lights if your headlights are on too in some states. Without the headlights on they are "parking" lights.

California law on the subject states, "24800. No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted."

People have been ticketed for driving with their park lights on. If the fog lights are on too that may fulfill the headlight requirement but it seems too much bother to me. I just turn the knob to headlight and drive. The friendly chime will remind me to turn them off if I forget and try to exit the truck with them on.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
thanks spoon059. guess I could just turn on the Headlights or use tape.
didn't know that the DRL only lite headlight. wont do me much good. I am looking at how to tap into a hot line. I did look at tapping into the Battery post with a fuse, pretty simple
thanks again all.

If you just want to tap a hot line, tap the #4 pin wire of your 7 pin that goes to your trailer. That's your auxiliary line and I'm pretty sure it will be exactly what you want for your backup camera with your 5er.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.