cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My trip over the Lolo Trail

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also a Nez Perce Indian trail since the beginning of time, this is where Lewis & Clark made their journey across this region. According to their book this was the absolute most difficult part of the entire trip.

Now called the Lolo Motorway, it parallels the original trail and intersects with it at several places. I'd heard that the Feds went in and smoothed the road in anticipation of of the 2005/2006 bicentenial increased traffic and renaming it the Motorway. Well, they may have renamed it but the road is as rough as it has ever been. I do know that the Feds poured money into the counties along this route to ramp up Search and Rescue equipment, overtime for Sheriff's Depts, etc. Then no one came!!! LOL

My first time over the Lolo Trail was in 1957. Yes, it will always be the Lolo Trail to me. This was before US 12 between Kamiah (CAM-e-i) ID and Lolo MT existed. My family lived in N Idaho and we loved to camp/fish White Sands Creek off of Elk Summit road south of the Powell Ranger station. We traveled the Lolo Trail from Weippe (WE-ipe) to the ranger station then out Elk Summit. It took a couple days. After US 12 was put in we could do it in one day!!

I wanted to do this trip for old time sakes as it's been many years since. I thought a lot of my Dad along the way. He taught me so much about camping and fishing, survival in the wilderness, being smart and safe in bear country. I'd also heard a bad fire went thru and wanted to see how bad.

I drove from Boise to Kamiah and left town on Glenwood Road, 22 miles on nice paved road to Lolo Creek Campground on El Dorado Creek. Long day and I was glad to be at the start of my trip.

Campground, dark, deep woods, YES!!!

Crossing over Lolo Creek.

Next day I drove 13 miles over 1 to 1 1/2 lane oiled graveled road to Canyon Jct.

With 5 choices I found lthe road I wanted.

Now the road turned into single lane, rough, rocky and rutty. I only made it 26 miles to Rocky Ridge Lake.

Lake the next morning.

I'm really wishing I had brought my canoe!!

The next 50 miles were mostly deep dark woods with little opportunities for pics but I did get some, especially of the signs.

Finally a smooth stretch of road!!.

Peeking thru some trees.

Some burned area with more rough road ahead.

Pics just don't do justice to how rough and slow going it was.

More peeking thru the trees.

This area is so huge it is inexplicable by me anyway!!

Yaaayyy more slow going!!

You do not want to meet someone on this road. I just finished .8 of a mile I would not want to back around!!.

This is called the Devil's Chair although I don't see it!!

Indian Post Office Lake. I hiked down for two small trout!!

I drove the rest of the trail to US 12 at Powell Ranger Station and camped at Squaw Creek. First, time to break out the Master Bath to get rid of 2 days of trail dust.

Then one of my favorite dinners. Liverworst brats!!

I know. I know, it's a cheapy BBQ but it is my sacrificial BBQ. I keep a very clean camp. Wash dishes after every meal and wipe down table/counters with Lysol wet wipes. Burn all paper (which I use most of). Mr Grizzly comes around he is going for the BBQ vs my camper. Then makes enough noise for me to make ready my bear spray and (hopefully not) my .44.

Next day across US 12 and the Lochsa (LOCK-saw) River to Elk Summit Road. Nearing White Sands Creek which, BTW, has now been renamed to Colt Killed Creek in appreciation of where L&C had to kill a colt to eat to stay alive. (Will still always be White Sands Creek to me). The fire damage is not looking good.

Arriving at "our" camp spot down the left side of the pack bridge has not been used in years. Burned out several years ago and smells the same.

The "new" pack bridge that is not certified safe for animals!! :R

I remember camped there when the mule skinner would load up 12-15 mules loaded with supplies for the lookout and head off across the old bridge.

OK, back up to Elk Summit Road and on to Hoodoo Lake. This is also looking bad.

But by the time I got to the lake it appeared unscathed. Really wishing for my canoe now!!!

Well, that was my trip. The only casualty was the sewer vent pipe cover knocked off by a branch so I guess the canoe wouldn't have made it either!! :B

I never needed 4X4 but high clearance and if hauling heavy like a TC low range is a must.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
49 REPLIES 49

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Good report. It is good to see the 'trip that never was' for us. It looks like a rough road endurance contest to me. Fire aftermath and all, this is a special trip through history.
Thanks again DJ.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. Good to hear from all of you!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedge wrote:
Thanks for the report, cool country.

PS, I really like your front bumper. Is it custom or off the shelf?

Front bumper is a Fab Four

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Great TR. Isn't that where L &c's mules slid off the trail? Glad you made it safely and had a good trip.

Not sure but I think I remember reading something about that.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
GpnAZ wrote:
Thanks DJ for the great trip report, I enjoyed the pictures and the commentary. How many days were you on the trail? It sure is beautiful country up there!

3 days

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mello Mike wrote:
Great TR, DJ. Looks like a pretty cool area. How long is the trail total?

From Lolo Creek Camp to US 12 is 75 miles.

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
We love historic routes and this is just the kind of trip we are looking for. Thank you so much for posting!
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting up the trip DJ.

All the best,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report, cool country.

PS, I really like your front bumper. Is it custom or off the shelf?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
Outstanding, DJ.
I know the feeling - but that makes it just about perfect.

That's a great ride DJ! When we leave Alaska, I would like to take the Ford and Avion on that trail. I know what you mean about rough roads here in Alaska.

I have that same BBQ and it works the best for us, as we have similar space constraints. I would recommend the same BBQ for any TC owner that wants to carry a small BBQ that is light and simple.

Keep the ideas and T.R's coming!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Man do I miss my 8ft cab over Alaskan camper.

The Lolo Trail is a perfect match for a pickup with a camper such as the OP has or the Alaskan's.

SubVet
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, thanks for posting.
2014 Wolf Creek 840 on 2013 Ford F-350 Regular Cab
Frequently towing a modified 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dj, Tnx for taking the time to post your trip. Great job, enjoyed the photography. Big advantage to the lighter camper, way to go .
When we get out your way , can we hire you as our guide ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Beautiful trip,
B n D

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding, DJ.
I know the feeling - but that makes it just about perfect.
Cal

Greytruck18
Explorer
Explorer
What a nice looking trip.. and in a Pop Up on a Ford.. Just loaded mine up can't wait to go out..