cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

navagation devices used on trips

gserve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a question for anyone that uses thier in vehicle navagation systems. I recently purchased a 2015 Chevy Silverado pickup with built in navagation system (8"chevy mylink). My question is do these systems work good? I have always used a Garmin (Nuvi 1300) on my trips seeemed to work well. What I liked the best about it was that if you made a wrong turn it would get you back on route without turning around (U turn). The Garmin had settings to select this option. Any comments on the mylink system would be appriciated.
40 REPLIES 40

RamRider
Explorer
Explorer
Around un-familiar cities and towns, gps is essential. On long road trips it is best to study a paper map. I like to run my Garmin to monitor miles to destination and MPH. On our trip home from Iowa last Monday Mr, Garmin drove us nuts trying route us off of the Kansas turnpike to routes I already knew were poor alternatives. GPS does a good job of lane advise when crossing through major cities and interchanges - assuming it is not going to send you on a wild goose chase. We have a built in device in our Prius and it is the worst GPS ever, a huge waste of money.
2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I use Waze for just about all of my GPS needs, but it does have one big drawback. The app relies heavily on a data connection to do just about anything. If you have no data wherever you are then the app is pretty much useless. You can't even create a route for things that are nearby. That becomes a problem for me when I cross the border where I have no data coverage.

mikeschu42
Explorer
Explorer
If you're a smartphone user, I'll recommend an app called Waze. Waze works similar to Google Maps or a Garmin device, but it is user driven, so you get real time traffic info from other Waze users on the roads. I've used this on a number of long trips and have been very impressed with the timely and accurate reporting on traffic/accidents/speed traps.

I know a lot of the newer in dash systems these days have the ability to work with a smartphone, some of them will even display the phones screen on the dash screen. Not sure if MyLink has iPhone/Android integration, but might be worth checking.
------------------------
2016 Rockwood 1940LTD
2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps on a smartphone works about as well as anything. We also have 2 garmines
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Paper maps are extremely unlikely to tell you where the nearest grocery store is.

x2

When we are traveling out of town and want to stop at a fast food place or buy some lunch meat at a grocery store, the Garmin is at its best. In the old days, you would stop at a phone booth and look in the phone book to find a store, etc. With phone booths gone, that option is no longer available. Also, the Garmin gives you the places starting with the closest, so you don't drive across town when there was a McDonalds around the block.

I like to use a paper map for the long stretches of the trip, and then the Garmin when looking for individual streets (as someone already mentioned). I doubt anyone carries a paper street map for EVERY town and city along the way.

The built-in nav systems from the auto/truck manufacturers are usually overpriced and expensive to update (someone mentioned $200 for an update!!)I have the $150 garmin with free updates. This is like in-car tv screens that are a $500 option for dual 9" screens when you can go to Walmart and buy a kit with 2 9" screen and a dvd player for $99.

Steve

As

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a watch but I love to build sundials. I have a calendar or charts which I can read the night sky. I have a barometer and a cloud chart plus a weather radio. And, I have GPS and map and compass.

The point is, use what you like and enjoy playing with.

Heck, I still use a slide rule to calculate gas mileage. It fascinates the grandkids.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
I USE MY MIND to find things and places
You are amazing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeesh Gde, give it a rest! Paper maps, technology, iphones, adventurous guesses, they ALL have their place, their usefulness to each of our own preferences and needs for information on where to go and how to get there. Your response is arrogant and condescending. 😞

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Paper maps are extremely unlikely to tell you where the nearest grocery store is.

Is THAT the best you can do to justify the use of a GPS?

Honestly folks have we become this lazy to figure out where a "grocery" store is?

How in the world did our parents manage to FIND food without a GPS?

Pretty easy to find grocery stores without a GPS.. Simply look on a map for the nearest town listed.. 99.9% of the time there WILL be a grocery store there.. Heck even in Vermont many of the small "hamlets" so to speak have some sort of "general store" that you can find canned goods and bread..

I take trips to GET AWAY and UNPLUG from "technology"..

I USE MY MIND to find things and places.

If you don't exercise your mind it will start getting less sharp until the point you no longer can function without all those life support systems..

Much more fun that waiting on a silly computer to find it's mind then instruct you into driving to a garbage dump..

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Garmin, our iPhone's and our laptop, so wherever we're getting to we'll get there. Haven't used anything paper in a long time, not sure I'd know how to use 😉

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:
....To Everyone, keep in mind that with those gps systems do need to have their maps updated from time to time. it's not unlikely to think that an older vehicle might have an outdated map loaded, they become more and more precise with technology.

That being said, i have gps in my truck, don't use it, i'm going the atlas route, as it never breaks down, and is way more fun.
Keep in mind, that Atlas will become outdated the same exact day as that GPS map becomes outdated.

Dreenn
Explorer
Explorer
I have the gmc eauivlant intellink it is the absoutly worst navi I have see use ur garmen if u are buying onstar for navi don't it's a waste of money

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I use my iPad with a mount like laptops in cop cars.

I mainly use Waze for live traffic and user updated road hazards, and google maps.
I also have Motion X HD and Motion X Drive, google earth and "paper maps" of most of my state downloaded (topo maps) is the app.

iPad has cellular so everything is live and up to date.