Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on a hybrid model

mycoolknot
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I'm a new member here and I am wonder if any experienced campers can offer any advice to my wife and I. We have been camping for about two years now with a popup camper. We are considering making an upgrade to a hybrid model next year, and we're doing our homework on this now. We definitely want a three bed layout since we have kids, which limits our options a little bit. I think we've narrowed it down to either the Rockwood Roo 233s:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/HybridTravelTrailers/Roo/default.aspx?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=4012

Or the Aerolite 224es:

http://aero-rv.com/floorplan/224ES

They both seem like really solid campers. I am curious if anyone out there has any experience with either of these two brands? Or can offer any advice on what we should look for as far as "must haves" in a hybrid? This is a camper we'll have for years to come, so I want to make sure we're getting what we need and something we'll enjoy.

Palomino also makes a three bed layout, but honestly our popup camper is a Palomino and we've had nothing but problems with it.

Also, perhaps this should be another thread, but the one place we were looking at was trying to sell me a sway bar kit for the hitch of the camper. Something similar to this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Pro-Series/PS49903.html?feed=npn&gclid=CL-5vJah6b8CFShp7Aod8QIAoQ

Is that necessary? I grew up on a farm where we pulled trailers all the time, and I've never heard of this kind of setup. It seemed kinda gimicky to me. I'll by pulling with a 5.4 F150, I would think a hybrid would be a light enough that I wouldn't need something like this. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I merely use a basic wdh. My truck outweighs the TT 2 to 1.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
The advice to get wdh+sway control is right on the money.

You can haul a trailer without brakes, using gears, vehicle's brakes, anticipation, etc, but it would be foolish to do so with anything of any size/weight.

It's basically the same with wdh+sway. Many setups can be had for about the price of one set of tires.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be your hitch, but these are off F150s. Common thing is over 500 tongue or 5000 gross, they say to use a WDH.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our Rockwood roo with an F-150. Tows great, but, you absolutely need a weight distributing hitch and sway control. A basic setup with a friction sway bar is what we use, and it works fine. Or you can upgrade to an Equalizer, Blue Ox, or other "high end" setup. But don't tow without something.

As for the Roo 233S, we are very happy with our Roo. A few minor issues, but the dealer fixed everything under warranty. If you like your popup but want to upgrade for more ammentities and less work, a hybrid is a good choice. The Roo and the Palamino Solaire are both made by Forest River (along with Shamrock, Surveyor, Coachmen Apex/Freedom Express) but they are made in more than one facility. In the 3 bunk model you have the Roo/Shamrock, Palomino, Jayco (and Starcraft), Coachmen, Aero/Kodiak models to choose from among the main players in the hybrid market.

In the end, we found the Roo had the best features for us - but check out a few and see what you find. The presence of a good local dealer, and/or price and availability may be factors too.
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

mycoolknot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback on the weight distribution system everyone! I guess that's the way to go!

I was calling it gimicky more because the guy telling me about them was a real salesman, and everything he told me just didn't sit right. Also, like I said I've never heard of them and never used them on horse trailers growing up. We did have our trailers out on highways all the time, and never had sway problems, or maybe just didn't know we did haha. I guess campers are just different somehow.

I'll took your word on this one guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting sold something I didn't really need.

ShawnMG, you bring up a pretty good point about most people just posting their complaints. I guess that's actually what I'm after, to find out what the complaints are of both models. I'll do some more research in these boards to see if I can find anything relevant.

Thanks again!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The types of trailers you towed on the farm didn't have the heavy tongue weights a travel trailer does. That and the fact that you most likely weren't towing those trailers at freeway speeds. So yes, you need a WD hitch. Its not gimmicky, its a safety item. It puts the weight back on the front wheels to bring back proper steering control.

phoneguy1212 wrote:
Now for weight distribution is only needed if after you hook a fully loaded camper up and it causes you truck to sag in the back or while driving you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride after every bump in the road mainly every bridge you go over. So if you pack the proper way and keep the weight to the center of the camper and not on the front you might not need it. I'm like you and was raised on a farm and did plenty of towing and never heard of such things till I bought a travel trailer. We always knew if it starts fish tailing we slowed down and if our back end drooped a little after hookup we adjusted the load and drove slower speeds. Most were not raised like this and the industry has made work around for this at a price. It eases everybody's mind that there's a fix for all their worries for a price and they work well for what they do. They allow an under rated tow vehicle to haul something too heavy and we get to travel interstate speeds because we spent good money on a weight distribution and sway set-up.

Wow, this post is far from accurate. We spend big money on a truck and trailer and you're suggesting we should cheap out and try to balance the trailer like we do a pop-up? The amount of rear squat is meaningless. The "roller coaster ride after every bump" is caused by lack of weight on the front wheels. You can move things all around if you like, but you are still taking too much weight off the front wheels of the TV. If you have a truck look at your owners manual. There is a specification as to how much weight you can safely take off the front wheels. With GM its zero. You have to adjust the WD hitch to put all the weight back on the front. Just because we grew up a certain way doesn't mean what we did as kids was safe for our families.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely a WDH/sway set up. It's like buying fire insurance for your home - you don't need it until you need it. You're making a big investment for your family, don't skimp on something really important.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
People usually get confused between weight distribution and sway control arms. Most buy them as a kit and have both in it. Because the hybrid is light and tall if you are going to do any highway travel at 65mph then sway control is a must. There will always be that cross wind or trucker to get the swaying started. This is why it's a must have. Now for weight distribution is only needed if after you hook a fully loaded camper up and it causes you truck to sag in the back or while driving you feel like you're on a roller coaster ride after every bump in the road mainly every bridge you go over. So if you pack the proper way and keep the weight to the center of the camper and not on the front you might not need it. I'm like you and was raised on a farm and did plenty of towing and never heard of such things till I bought a travel trailer. We always knew if it starts fish tailing we slowed down and if our back end drooped a little after hookup we adjusted the load and drove slower speeds. Most were not raised like this and the industry has made work around for this at a price. It eases everybody's mind that there's a fix for all their worries for a price and they work well for what they do. They allow an under rated tow vehicle to haul something too heavy and we get to travel interstate speeds because we spent good money on a weight distribution and sway set-up.
Almost free Jerry

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Weight Distribution Hitches are more needed than you think. Your hitch and owners manual usuall state a trailer weight that you don't need and need to use a WDH. I don't feel that safety devices are gimicky.

By the way, my next camper will probably be a Roo 233S with a Ram 1500 3.0l VM diesel. And you bet your life that will have a WDH.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

ShawnMG
Explorer
Explorer
Either trailer is really good. If you search the forums, both brands have had their problems. But like someone else here has said, most people only post their gripes, not their praises. For every "bad" trailer or brand post there are a ton of successful stories. I have had six great years with my Kodiak, sister to the Aerolite. Just now I am having problems with my fresh water lines. Years ago when hybrids just came out my father had a similar problem with his Roo. Its an assembly line process with workers that are not paid that much. Unfortunately with the industry you get the occasional problem, like with your palomino.

As for the sway control, it is what you are comfortable with. With my original setup, the Kodiak 195 with a Chevy Trailblazer, it was almost the tail wagging the dog if several trucks came by. Set up with the Dual Cam and so much better. Plus it and smart thinking probably saved me from a nasty accident. With my current TV, 1500 Chevy Silverado, a lot better, but still glad I have the Dual Cam.
Me, DW, 2DS (10, 9)
2011 Chevy Silverado Ext.
2015 Rockwood Roo 233S