cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on an RV GPS?

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Need advice from Rv'ers on whether it is worth purchasing a GPS made specifically for RV's to avoid ending up on roads a 30 ft TT should not be on. I am new to Rv'ing and plan on taking trips to states and areas I am not familiar with. I see RV GPS's , like the one Good Sam/ Rand McNally advertises, for about $300, which is substantially more than a regular car GPS that I already have in my truck... Are they really effective in giving the driver the correct and easiest navigable routes specifically for trailer rigs, or are they just loaded with locations of Good Sam campgrounds and other POI's? Would like to hear from those of you who actually own an RV GPS to see if you feel it is worth the $. Thanks!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch
38 REPLIES 38

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We carry my desk top computer and google maps
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
My vote's for the Garmin dezl 760 - it's the trucker's unit, but also has RV profiles (Height, weight, length, etc.) 7" screen makes it big enough to see in a big RV cockpit. Might have to load some campground POI files - but all the fuel stops are there. If you have a smart phone, there's a free Garmin APP that will link to the unit for realtime weather, gas prices, road info, etc. And the free Garmin Base Camp software lets you build trips on a laptop and load them into the GPS (my preference). As with any routing aid, it's probably not perfect, but so far haven't found any flaws.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My complaint about most GPS devices is they do not take the routes I would think best.

More than once I have been routed through a city when a simple bypass would have been better. I know they have many options but I find them most useful once I am close to my destination.

To answer the OPs question, in all our travels I can say I have not yet had to turn around because of an unexpected clearance problem.

Admittedly I tend towards map and compass but I had many many miles accumulated before using my GPS, so I find it handy but not an absolute necessity.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Is an RV GPS necessary?? IMHO no, is it worthwhile?? Yes. in addition to routing help, the Garmin RV760 has campground lists, service facilities, dump stations, etc. etc. that come in handy.

Are they perfect? NO. the biggest issue is that data for routes is often obtained from state DMV. And that can have errors. the biggest one I've noticed is clearance. I've had several cases when it said I was to tall, and I knew I wasn't.. the issue is that the tunnel shows side clearance less than the trailer, but overhead is ok. And going to the state website ALL that was listed in these cases is the tunnel side clearance. overhead wasn't listed.

you can run into the same issue with length since sometimes length restrictions are based on trailer rather than overall length. and the garmin only lets you put in one length, you can choose, overall, or trailer. I wish it would let you put in both.

and with the garmin, the backup camera is IMHO very usefull. wire it up for always on, great for checking clearance when lane changing.

When I'm going somewhere new, I do a route check using online state info and streets and trips etc. to plan a route.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
and NEVER use the SHORTEST ROUTE in any GPS.. use Fastest or Easiest.

first tine I used my Garmin 2597 to go to a Mall. its had me go in the BACK way with the trucks.

the RV 760 is on my Christmas Wish List with backup camera ๐Ÿ™‚ but also considering the TRUCK version of the 760. and the Truck version is now available as the 770

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Garmin 2797LMT last year in preparation for our trip to California. I'm a hard-copy roadmap/do-lots-of-Google-maps-research-beforehand kinda guy and I was glad I kept that discipline. The Garmin was nice for some things especially locating gas stations, restaurants and such things up ahead. For route planning I think it sucks...it took us right through downtown Portland, OR during afternoon rushhour instead of routing us around town on the interstatevbypass. Another "failure" was as others noted, it sent us on a backroad that had been closed for months due to a bridge being washed out...and yes, I'd done all of the "updates" just before we left. Also, some gas stations had obviously been shuttered for years when we got to them. Bottom line is I don't trust or believe ANY GPS for accurate routing ALL of the time. It doesn't know if a road just flooded up ahead, and it sure as heck won't tell you that you can't get through a McDonald's driveway.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GPS in heading in Technology
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have a normal Tom Tom and combined with my Iphone's mapping system and especially the map on Gas Buddy, with a little common sense, and following signs that warn "no trucks" or "no semi's" I've never had any problem getting into a spot, except twice. Tom Tom took me down a flooded road once and I got stuck in the back of McDonald's restaurant parking log and had to back out. I think in 30 years of camping and RVing (me and the wife), that's not too bad.

I don't have any info specific to the RV versions, but I did find this article. Based on this article, if I had to choose one, I think I'd select the Rand McNally. I like the feature it can switch to different flavors of RV's or normal auto. Although the article is a couple years old, it's worth reading at least once.

Click here.

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the garmin. Only used it for some short trips so far, but seems good. I like that it has a back-up camera that we use as a "review mirror" for driving on the highway ( mounted to bumper of tt)
, and I like that it has lifetime map updated.
Bought on eBay for a great price