cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on an RV GPS?

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Need advice from Rv'ers on whether it is worth purchasing a GPS made specifically for RV's to avoid ending up on roads a 30 ft TT should not be on. I am new to Rv'ing and plan on taking trips to states and areas I am not familiar with. I see RV GPS's , like the one Good Sam/ Rand McNally advertises, for about $300, which is substantially more than a regular car GPS that I already have in my truck... Are they really effective in giving the driver the correct and easiest navigable routes specifically for trailer rigs, or are they just loaded with locations of Good Sam campgrounds and other POI's? Would like to hear from those of you who actually own an RV GPS to see if you feel it is worth the $. Thanks!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch
38 REPLIES 38

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
When someone insists on speaking turn-by-turn directions to me, I politely listen, forget all of it, and use my GPS.

How true!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
When someone insists on speaking turn-by-turn directions to me, I politely listen, forget all of it, and use my GPS.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
An RV type GPS is worthwhile and an improvement over a non RV model.
However its not foolproof.
It will not tell you what gas station to use nor will it direct you to avoid rush hour traffic.
It will attempt to take you on an RV safe route and avoid small streets and low clearances.
I have a Garmin RV 760 with the integrated BC-20 backup camera and it has worked well for 3 years now.
However I generally review the suggested route and ensure it is the most direct way. For the most part the route is chosen by the Garmin meets my needs.
Nevertheless never trust any GPS 100%. Especially while towing.

exactly!! We also have the RV760 with the backup camera. and your summary is spot on.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS Rob and others! Great info for an informed decision. Happy Camping !
Equalizer E2 hitch

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
Sorry these quote are stacking up so deep..
You can edit them out, like this.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Just recently purchased a Garmin RV 760. Prior to that, had been using a 2006 Garmin (car model) with non updated maps. Have been playing with the 760 and so far it has been great. Have not, however, been on any long trips with it yet. The voice command feature is pretty darn cool.

I usually program the route in and hit the road. My wife will have her phone programmed as well and will supplement the GPS should we need it.

Have not experimented with auto vs rv mode yet but will.

I LOVE the big screen. If you watch ebay, you will find a factory refurbished model with a full warranty. That's what I did. $279 give or take, IIRC.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
temccarthy1 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
I used to sing the praises of our Garmin RV760LMT... until we hit the road full-time. In RV mode, it has - or would have - taken us on some really "whack" routes. I assume this is because it thinks doing things like taking propane through the I-95 tunnel through downtown Baltimore or driving through downtown Richmond, Houston, and other major cities is a good idea just because I'm pulling an RV. Like someone said above, I've gone back to a mix of old-fashioned navigation and Google maps. In "car mode," the RV760 is still very handy... it matched the route I chose on our last travel day and has very good "Up Ahead" functions for fuel, etc. Once the GPS and I agree on the route, it's very handy for telling me how far to the next turn, how exits are configured, and our ETA at our final destination. The days are gone, however, when I will just accept that Garmin knows best as far as a route that makes sense for me and my rig.

Does the Garmin RV760LMT NOT have warnings on propane restricted tunnels or bridges? I have read several posts saying NO and several saying it does? Which is it? That is obviously a very big programming miscue if it asks that question in the settings but then ignores a YES to propane . Would like to hear from owners of this unit which is the highest rated one on Amazon THANKS!

Going from South Carolina to Aberdeen, MD, via I-20 and I-95, it would have routed me through the downtown tunnel on 95 in Baltimore had I not known to take the loop and the Hazmat route via the F. Scott Key bridge. I can't speak to other routes or situations. Yes - I consider it a big miscue.

Rob

thanks for the info Rob.. Important for my decision to buy or not buy since you have the exact unit I am looking at. One other question... Does that unit give you "TT friendly" fuel stops that are easy to navigate like Pilot or Flying J, or does it just list gas stations regardless of size and ease of getting in and out. I know since my total rig with vehicle is 55 feet long I can't pull into many gas stations based on the way their pumps are configured. I am hoping it flags big rig fuel stops like the trucker version does based on the size of rig that you enter? Does it?

No - it lists the brand of the fuel stops ahead on the route, but not whether they're big-rig friendly or not. We mostly look for truck stops since I need 13'6" overhead clearance.

Rob

THANKS ROB! Knowing this and owning that unit, would you recommend it?

Sorry these quote are stacking up so deep... my answer to your question would be a qualified "yes." I like the big screen, the RV park database, and the way the "Up Ahead" (or whatever it's called) features work. However, I'm leaving it in car mode most of the time now rather than RV mode. This means I'm not getting some of the RV-specific warnings that the RV mode would give me. But as has been suggested by several in this thread, I've gone back to a combination of route planning approaches and just appreciating the conveniences the GPS provides. I guess this shouldn't be too hard for a former pilot and sailor...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Learn to read a map. Then use the GPS as an aid. Learn to use your brain and never trust any one thing for navigation. Worked on GPS ground station, in Diego Garcia, Colorado springs and in Florida. A great system.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
It will not tell you what gas station to use nor will it direct you to avoid rush hour traffic.
It will attempt to take you on an RV safe route and avoid small streets and low clearances.
I have a Garmin RV 760 with the integrated BC-20 backup camera and it has worked well for 3 years now.
However I generally review the suggested route and ensure it is the most direct way. For the most part the route is chosen by the Garmin meets my needs.

Lantley--THANKS for the candid summary on RV Gps's. you also own the one I am looking at buying so your opinion after owning 3 years is very impotant to me! Much appreciated!
Equalizer E2 hitch

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
I used to sing the praises of our Garmin RV760LMT... until we hit the road full-time. In RV mode, it has - or would have - taken us on some really "whack" routes. I assume this is because it thinks doing things like taking propane through the I-95 tunnel through downtown Baltimore or driving through downtown Richmond, Houston, and other major cities is a good idea just because I'm pulling an RV. Like someone said above, I've gone back to a mix of old-fashioned navigation and Google maps. In "car mode," the RV760 is still very handy... it matched the route I chose on our last travel day and has very good "Up Ahead" functions for fuel, etc. Once the GPS and I agree on the route, it's very handy for telling me how far to the next turn, how exits are configured, and our ETA at our final destination. The days are gone, however, when I will just accept that Garmin knows best as far as a route that makes sense for me and my rig.

Does the Garmin RV760LMT NOT have warnings on propane restricted tunnels or bridges? I have read several posts saying NO and several saying it does? Which is it? That is obviously a very big programming miscue if it asks that question in the settings but then ignores a YES to propane . Would like to hear from owners of this unit which is the highest rated one on Amazon THANKS!

Going from South Carolina to Aberdeen, MD, via I-20 and I-95, it would have routed me through the downtown tunnel on 95 in Baltimore had I not known to take the loop and the Hazmat route via the F. Scott Key bridge. I can't speak to other routes or situations. Yes - I consider it a big miscue.

Rob

thanks for the info Rob.. Important for my decision to buy or not buy since you have the exact unit I am looking at. One other question... Does that unit give you "TT friendly" fuel stops that are easy to navigate like Pilot or Flying J, or does it just list gas stations regardless of size and ease of getting in and out. I know since my total rig with vehicle is 55 feet long I can't pull into many gas stations based on the way their pumps are configured. I am hoping it flags big rig fuel stops like the trucker version does based on the size of rig that you enter? Does it?

No - it lists the brand of the fuel stops ahead on the route, but not whether they're big-rig friendly or not. We mostly look for truck stops since I need 13'6" overhead clearance.

Rob

THANKS ROB! Knowing this and owning that unit, would you recommend it?
Equalizer E2 hitch

lenny-shawna
Explorer
Explorer
An RV specific GPS is well worth the additional money not to mention the mental piece of mind and a little less stress it provides when venturing into unknown areas.
As for me, I already had to replace the rubber roof on my 5th wheel due to a low hanging branch and surly do not desire a repeat on my DP.
lenny-shawna 2011 Winnebago Tour 43'. Cummins 450. Freightliner Custom Chassis. Hydra-lift motorcycle carrier 2014 Harley Ultra Limited. 2012 SRX. With our 3 Beagle/Hounds

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
I had a regular GPS when I was driving a Class A. I had to turned around several times due to road that was not made for large vehicle or low overhead objects. This was in the mountain in Tennessee.
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
temccarthy1 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:

Rob

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015