cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise on which new truck - 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

jodiwer
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have ordered a new 2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS which should arrive the end of October. We are shopping for a truck but can't decide if we should buy a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. The GVW for the Roo is 6848 lbs with a hitch weight of 688 lbs. We have checked out RAM, Chevy and Ford trucks. I find the 3/4 ton trucks difficult to get into (I am 69 yo). My husband still has nightmares of towing our previous rig, a 17,000 lb Alfa with a 3/4 ton truck. He just wants to be sure that he has all the truck necessary to easily and safely pull the new rig. We expect to travel 12 months next year. We are open to a used vehicle and like the lower price on the 1/2 ton but can afford the 3/4 ton if we need it. Any thoughts?
2019 F150 XLT Ecoboost, 3.5L V6 4x4, Max Towing package
2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS hybrid trailer
DH & I are boondockers thanks to our solar panels. Summer with our bicycles & kayak; winter with our skis & snowboards.
97 REPLIES 97

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in my previous post, I used to own a hybrid TT that was almost the same length and weight as the OP's.
I had no issues towing it with a 2007 Avalanche 5.3 v-8. I towed it over the Sierras, the Rockies, the Cascades and the Siskiyous for 10 years.
The Avalanche never had any problems towing the hybrid nor did it feel underpowered.
So the OP doesn't need a 3/4 ton for this type of trailer, especially since they're downsizing. They've had bigger trucks and trailers so they aren't newbies.
But I do wish I had my current F150 3.5 Ecoboost back then. I love this truck.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to touch how OEMs use ‘common’ parts...and platforms...

Full sized pickups are the platform for full sized SUV’s. All full sized SUVs are half ton today. My 1996 Suburban is a 3/4 ton and is based on a 3/4 ton pickup

CUV’s (most confuse with SUV’s) are derived from car’s. A pilot uses the same platform as an Odyssey. A Highlander is based on a Camry. A RAV4 is a Corolla. A CRV is a Civic. Etc...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
OEMs use the same sheetmetal between their full sized pickups, with the changes mostly in ornamentation. Same glass, doors, etc.

The pavement footprint is also very similar and again most differences are in the trim (ornamentation) levels

Where they differ is below the sheetmetal body (unibody) and is what it sits on

Frames are bigger and why higher class (higher GVWR) pickups will sit higher than lower class, half ton’s

Even the same ICE’s will have differences to increase their duty cycle ratings for higher class pickups

Ditto tranny’s and drive train. On that, half ton’s have RGAWR’s below 5K lbs and higher class has 6K lbs or more

Agree and have been saying for years...the OEMs are making all pickups taller to appease the buying public, who thinks taller means more capable. Their GVWR’s have remained pretty much the same

Maybe this procedure might help ease getting in and out of a tall pickup (Most try to get into the cab too soon)

Either a step/stool/etc or running boards (and recommend the flat and the round tube...even flattened...places too much pressure on a small portion of the shoe/sole)

Open the door all the way. If partial because between parked vehicles, this still works, but not as well...you will ding the other vehicle)

Step up facing the cab interior, stand up tall, but DO NOT try to get in yet.

Grab the steering wheel or any grab bar with your LEFT hand

Place your right hand on the seat back or anywhere on the drivers side seat

Place your RIGHT foot/leg into the cab and pull yourself in with the left hand

At the same time, grab the steering wheel with your RIGHT hand and pivot your hips into the seat while pulling with your RIGHT hand

Once your hips are on the seat...SLIDE the rest of your bottom into the seat while continuing to pull with your right hand

Now let our head go into the cab...it naturally will go and if long body...your head might hit the cab top edge

Am on the board for a 501-3C that cares for the elderly and take them often with a Odyssey mini van, but occasionally when it is in the shop, take them in the pickup or Suburban.

Of course reverse the above for passenger side. These are mostly little old ladies (us guys die off first). Oldest is 94 and average is 75-80 (I’m 72 and 5’11”) and most are around 5’1”...Rosalind used to be taller, but she is now 4’10”

They panic the first time, but after a couple times....they like riding higher than surrounding traffic

Getting out is the reverse and tough getting them to back out (yelling “butt first...then stand up before stepping down” makes them laugh, but it works). Step backwards onto the side-step and onto the 2 step platform stool....again, after they do it couple times, no more problems
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a truck with a running board and I still found it difficult to hoist myself up into the seat - the 3/4 tons are all so tall and I am short -5' 3". We bought a little step stool but haven't been back to try it out yet - will the end of this week. Just seems like that would be a hassle every time I get in and out but might be necessary. However, the main point is how well a truck will tow for the type of travel we will be doing. I think we have narrowed it down to a Ford or Chevy. The RAM trucks are great but the seating is just not comfortable enough for long term travel.

The wife and I had the same issue. She thought she wanted a 2500 Ram and being 5' 2" and 75 years old the dealer had to use steps for her to get in the seat. The killer was the ride. Now I have a 2500 Dodge/Cummins quad cab and a 3500 drw crew cab chevy and both rode one heck of a lot easier than the new 2500 Ram/6.4 Hemi crew cab.
So she settled on a 1500 chevy 4wd 5.3 crew cab short bed 6 speed tranny 6.42 gears with side tube steps. It does a good job pulling a 10k car hauler with 9460 lbs on the trailers axles but 6-7k trailer would be a piece of cake. The new 1500 chevies now use the 10 speed tranny. Those that have them say their superior to the 6 speed trannies.

If you go with a F150 be aware they have different GVWR/RAWR packages and all can come with the same engines options and the "max tow" option.
#1. 7850 gvwr...4800 rawr....2500 lb in the bed payloads.

#2. 7600 gvwr...4550 rawr... 2200 lb in the bed payloads

#3. 7050 gvwr...4050 rawr... 1800 lb in the bed payloads

#4. 6800 gvwr...3800 rawr...1500 lb in the bed payloads.

#4 may be a bit close on payload.

# 3 on up would be a good choice.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
We'll See wrote:
Me Again wrote:
bikendan wrote:

Now that we've had both for 4 years, we now are looking at a 30ft 5th Wheel, which our F150 can't tow. But we couldn't get a 3/4 ton up our driveway into the garage. But since we're planning on selling our place, now a 3/4 ton will be the next TV for our future 5th wheel.
If you don''t plan on ever getting anything bigger, then a 1/2 ton will work fine. I'm a fan of the F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package.

You should be thinking 350/3500 SRW not 250/3500. Just saying.

So the advice now turned to get a one ton truck for a 23' travel trailer? Are u sure they don't need a dually?

To the OP, you should use your Tundra and upgrade in the future if you want to.

You get this nonsense everyday here .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
jodiwer wrote:
I greatly appreciate all your input. In response to a few points: the Roo is a hybrid TT; no, our Tundra will not pull this weight; yes we want 4WD - we're boondockers. Our hope is to travel the west coast of US and Canada in the spring, across the north in the summer, along the east coast in the fall and the south in the winter back to our home base in Phoenix, AZ next year. So yes on long distances and mountains.

We looked at a truck with a running board and I still found it difficult to hoist myself up into the seat - the 3/4 tons are all so tall and I am short -5' 3". We bought a little step stool but haven't been back to try it out yet - will the end of this week. Just seems like that would be a hassle every time I get in and out but might be necessary. However, the main point is how well a truck will tow for the type of travel we will be doing. I think we have narrowed it down to a Ford or Chevy. The RAM trucks are great but the seating is just not comfortable enough for long term travel.

I agree on the seating ,my Ram Laramie is no where near as comfortable as my old Ford Superduty . As mentioned , those automatic Amps steps come down lower, and are wider then most side steps, plus they tuck up underneath when the doors are closed. You would be surprised how easy they are to get in a truck with them. They will be my next side steps .

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so happy I bought my F150 before joining forums..........It's a great daily driver and pulls the GVWR 7700 28' trailer just fine. As an analogy I just can't understand the logic of needing to use a 10lb sledge hammer to drive trim nails into a piece of wood, when a 16oz hammer works just fine. But I guess you never know might want to drive railroad spikes someday.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
bikendan wrote:

Now that we've had both for 4 years, we now are looking at a 30ft 5th Wheel, which our F150 can't tow. But we couldn't get a 3/4 ton up our driveway into the garage. But since we're planning on selling our place, now a 3/4 ton will be the next TV for our future 5th wheel.
If you don''t plan on ever getting anything bigger, then a 1/2 ton will work fine. I'm a fan of the F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package.

So the advice now turned to get a one ton truck for a 23' travel trailer? Are u sure they don't need a dually?

To the OP, you should use your Tundra and upgrade in the future if you want to.
Jeep and Explorer

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Without getting into the debate about "will you want a bigger trailer", I'd suggest a 3/4 ton for a couple of reasons:

- it will likely hold some better percentage of it's value on resale (if that's a consideration)
- More capacity to carry additional weight in the bed
- Generally more capable for non-RV towing stuff (other towing, hauling, etc)...if that is of any consideration.
- With the Ford and Chevy brands, I suspect it's easier to get a strong engine/towing combination in a "standard" package on the 3/4 ton than on the 1/2 ton. Even if the numbers otherwise work out, a bigger engine / more towing capacity wouldn't be amiss in the mountains.

My DW is 5'-3" as well: at a little bit north of 60, she much prefers to ride / drive her Sequoia than my F250, but access to the F250 is straightforward with running boards and a grab handle on the door pillar. She does need a step stool for the F550 dump truck....

Our Sequoia is a couple years newer than the OP's Tundra, but (based on towing a variety of things with it, no RV), if the Tundra couldn't tow something, I'd jump straight to a 3/4 ton or SRW 1-ton.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
jodiwer wrote:
I greatly appreciate all your input. In response to a few points: the Roo is a hybrid TT; no, our Tundra will not pull this weight; yes we want 4WD - we're boondockers. Our hope is to travel the west coast of US and Canada in the spring, across the north in the summer, along the east coast in the fall and the south in the winter back to our home base in Phoenix, AZ next year. So yes on long distances and mountains.

I know they made under bed steps at one time that when you pushed it in with your foot a step came out. I wonder if you could add that under the door or on the running board. They are tall, i need the side step and im 6'6". Good grab handles might help also, i have them on my jeep for my mother and kid to get in, but have no idea if or where to put that in a truck. Look around at some of the aftermarked stuff , they have to make something.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jodiwer
Explorer
Explorer

2019 F150 XLT Ecoboost, 3.5L V6 4x4, Max Towing package
2021 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS hybrid trailer
DH & I are boondockers thanks to our solar panels. Summer with our bicycles & kayak; winter with our skis & snowboards.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
The new Chevys , GMCs ( 2500s) are bigger. Wider longer and taller. So besides whats in them that makes them diffrent , they are all around bigger. Then as stated, whats in them is completely diffrent. Everything is beefed up.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think your Tundra would probably be fine for that size trailer so I'd personally give it a shot and if you're happy with it, keep it. If you were buying a new truck regardless I'd tell you to go with an HD model because you get a lot more truck for about the same money and it gives you more flexibility with minimal downsides.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple. Buy a bigger truck.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
bikendan wrote:

So no one tows a fifth wheel , especially a 30 foot with a 3/4 ton . It always seems the assumption with you guys everyone needs a 1 ton to tow a small fifth wheel . They may go bigger they may not. Do you know their future .

Like the op here, all they need is a properly equipped 1/2 ton. The trailer they want does not require anything else.