cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need ideas thoughts on bunkhouse for family of 4

Rte1985
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are probably a billion threads/posts on a/this subject but here I go anyway.

My wife and I are now just starting our search for our future family camper. This is hopefully a sub 18 month plan before we pull the trigger but being such a large purchase and being so anal about things I don't want to get tunnel vision on a certain brand or model. We plan on going to our local rv show next time it is in town. Also in a couple of months we hope to get to a few local dealers to physically get into some unit to get a better idea. As for right now we are at the internet searching phase and I can say I have put in who knows how many hours on forums, dealer web sites and such soaking up as much info as I can! Here is where we are at

We want a bunkhouse, we have two toddlers at this time (3 yo and 2 yo). Price wise we would like to be under $35,000 (Ideally under $30,000)
I really like the bunkhouses with a slide because I feel that they offer so much growing room for our kids and their (future friends), also they can spread out and play if we are forced inside. But the weight of a slide in the bunkroom adds up. Speaking of weight I really want to stay under 9000 lbs gross weight (which would probable be 7000-7500 dry weight range)

If anyone has some thoughts on brands/models. We are really leaning toward fiberglass siding. This will also have to be a travel trailer since we will be towing with an suv. Some of the models that have peaked our interest in no order are.
Coachmen Freedom Express 310 (azdel, fireplace, large outside kitchen)7500 dry
Keystone Cougar 31sqb (love the cub couches, king size bed)7100 dry
Grand Design 3150bh (Love the looks, top end of budget and no TUB!,wife really wants a tub for the kids) 7500 dry

If anyone has any ideas or owns one of these brands or models I would love your thoughts. We don't want buyers remorse. We have dealers for all of these brands close by. Thanks for any input (like I said we have plenty of time to make a choice but I'll research myself to death and be more confused than when I started. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Ray
26 REPLIES 26

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There are very active FB pages for Grand Design and Grand Design Imagine owners. Every trailer will have issues to a greater or lesser extent but GD's customer service is second to none in the industry. I think the 3150 is being discontinued (I may be wrong) but it wouldn't stop me from buying one. We're very happy with our GD 2650.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
nickdarr wrote:
We have an Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS and like it. The Creekside 27BHS has a tub. We have owned two Outdoors trailers. The first was a shorter 23BHS and we have liked both of them.

This! (+1). reading your original post and list of possible trailers, ORV. You took time to get a great tow rig, that 8.1 Burb properly setup will absolutely get the job done, just keep an eye on the payload.

Edit: which gear ratio do you have? 3.73 gets you to ~10,300 max trailer, and 4.10 goes up to about ~12,000.
RPO codes are:

GT4 - 3.73
GT5 - 4.10
(on glovebox sticker) Apparently a few came with 3.42 in 2005, if yours is one, get the gears swapped.

Speaking of 8.1 Suburban toughness, this construction video on the Outdoors RV should really suit your interests.
Outdoors RV Construction

Outdoors RV re-aligned models for ~ 2017, to get a bunkhouse in the 27' range, you'll need to look at a Timber Ridge. These things get heavy and with good reason, but their dry weights, are full featured, so you get a realistic number. Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 27DBHS

You'll have to go out West to get one, appears a number of folks have done just that. Also looks like warranty work done through your local (non-ORV) dealers with prior approval.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 adult bikes is easy, front hitch and a low 4 bike carrier. I went with this one because it was inexpensive with goods reviews and it looked like it would work for all our bike styles. Installed it yesterday and it seems pretty good, looking to see if I can figure out a shim between the rear and front portions as that's the only part that's not rock solid.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You've got a great SUV! I looked for over a year for a used garage queen 6 years ago before deciding to buy a new 2011 model. You should have no problem with any TT under 8k dry. If yours has the OEM round tube design, I highly recommend replacing with a Curt XD. The GMT800 pickup and SUV receivers often failed with less weight when they were less than 5 years old. Keep in mind your payload is closer to 2000 pounds with the 8.1L. 2700 pounds is about what the 6.0L models had available. Regardless, plenty for RVing.

How do you expect to camp with your RV? Always full hookups on paved sites? State and National Parks? Boondocking? 35-36' can be is no problem for most RV resorts, but site selection in Michigan state parks will be restricted. Do you plan to take bikes kayaks, or other large toys? Towing a TT with an SUV is challenging to take the those. Two adult and two kids bikes is easy now. If you intend to keep this RV for 10 years, then 4 large bikes will be harder to pack. You have plenty of TV to consider a toy hauler, even if you don't care about motor powered toys.

Bathtub is only useful if you have full hookups. You'll go through 40 gallons of fresh water in 2 days if you don't be careful.

Floorplan floorplan floorplan. Narrow that down and you'll find at least 10 brans/models of similar floorplan. Role play in a number of them. Sit on the toilet, lie in the beds. What can you access when all the slides are in (AKA turtled)? Two things I have learned to appreciate from my TT are direct bathroom access and a shelf/counter right by a door that I can reach from outside. We bought our TT when kids were 1/2/5. We had many stops along the sides of roads for emergency potty breaks either right after passing a rest area or in the middle of corn fields.

You have access to several dealers in IN/OH/MI with some of the lowest pricing in the country. All of your choices should come in under $30k OTD. $40k MSRP turns into $26-27k selling price, tax, title, WDH, brake controller gets you under $30k. Check out Holman RV, Lakeshore RV, and RV Wholesalers for large volume highly discounted prices.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Rte1985
Explorer
Explorer
Il take a look at the creekside!

Rte1985
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your responses. I have really tried doing weight homework. Like every new person to towing I was dumb founded when you figure out all the nuts and bolts of payload, axel ratings dry weights curb weights gross weights. Etc etc. we first started looking at campers when we just had our 99 suburban. After learning the ins and outs of true weights and payload I realized that suburban was limited to smaller trailers which we felt wouldn't fit our family well at this time. Not wanting to part from a suv I searched and waited for a 8.1 burb. Now we have a tow vehicle which can handle a little more trailer unfortunately buying the 2500 burb is the reason for the set back on trailer purchase. Baby steps to do it right. And yes a new 3/4 ton duraburb would be my dream ride! Cost would be more than our first home!

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS and like it. The Creekside 27BHS has a tub. We have owned two Outdoors trailers. The first was a shorter 23BHS and we have liked both of them.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy what you want and enjoy! You've got a really rare tow vehicle, be aware that the Suburban HD is now fleet only and starts at an eye watering $81k, so when it wears out it's likely you'll need to go another direction (unless you've been very fortunate in life, I've been blessed and there's no way I could afford that)
Equalizer 10k WDH

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
You're not towing anything near 9k lb with an SUV unless it's a 2500/3500 Suburban.

What SUV do you have and what is its payload capacity?

EDIT: Rte 1985, your response came in while I was typing my response.

Ah, yes, that's exactly the question I had when I read your posting,

My wife and got back into trailering this summer. We had a Honda CRV and a Ford Focus. Neither vehicle could possibly tow, so we had a clean slate. We decided to replace the Focus with a tow vehicle that could double as my daily driver (mileage that wouldn't be really bad).

We settled on a Ford F-150, with the twin turbo v6, which will tow about 12,000 lbs. It's as much truck as we wanted to tolerate (cost, mileage, etc.), and we chose a trailer that would be compatible with it.

We went with a Jayco 26bh bunkhouse, no slides, and dry weight around 4900 lbs. I'm real comfortable with our total package. Ample power, ample wheelbase, and the trailer doesn't weigh too much more than the truck.

Forgive me if you already know this, but on your trailer quest, floor plan, overall size, amenities, and brand preference are important, but topping the list by a wide margin is correctly sizing your tow vehicle to your travel trailer's loaded weight and tongue weight.

When we went looking for our tow vehicle, and opted for the F-150, we carefully chose the engine, transmission, and final gear ratio. The 3.5L V6 puts out 375 hp, and 470 ft. lbs. of torque, through a 10 speed transmission (with factory cooler), and a final gear ratio of 3.55. What a rig. Most of the time, we can just select "tow mode" for the transmission, set the cruise control at 62 mph, and it loafs along at 1900 rpm in 8th gear.

The math: fully loaded maybe we're creeping up on 7000 lbs., and we're "rated" for 12,000. That might seem very conservative, but when you factor in trailer weight vs. truck weight for handling and braking, we think it's about right.

You'll get some useful information from this site if you provide your:
--make, model, and year of your tow vehicle
--engine specs
--transmission cooler?
--tow rating provided by the manufacturer
--rear end gear ration
--transmission / auto?...how many gears
--wheelbase
--weight of vehicle

I will not be surprised if others have more to add to the list.

Our truck and trailer package cost about 55k. A mountain of goodies from Amazon that included a Briggs and Stratton generator at $630 and replacing the POS battery charger (that come with a lot of trailers) for about $200, plus towels, leveling equipment, etc., probably came to around 2.5k.

Moral of the story: Let's get your tow vehicle capabilities squared away so you can effectively pick the right trailer.

Rte1985
Explorer
Explorer
We will be towing with a 2005 2500 suburban. 8.1 big block. Just shy 2700 lb payload capacity driver not included. Plan on either using a propride or Hensley hitch. Will mainly be traveling flatter midwest roads with maybe 1 trip a year around the smokeys.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should take the guesswork out of it. Take your suv to a cat scale all loaded with people and all the gear you would normally pack for a trip. Deduct that weight amount from the gross weight rating and see how much tongue weight you can hang off your hitch. Don't forget you will using a WD hitch @ approx 70# depending on model, adds to the hitch weight.
SUV usage is limited by it's payload capacity and getting a true real weight is important because you need it as a starting point.
As an example, my Jayco advertised dry TW is 455#. All loaded up and rolling down the road i'm in the 950# range as per my Sherline scale.
Will your suv be able to handle that much weight without exceeding your GVWR and your hitch rating . My trailer is at 27 ft with no slide and no bunks. Im about 6200-6300 # . My TT is aluminum not filon which adds about 800# of weight, maybe more, filon is heavy .

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're not towing anything near 9k lb with an SUV unless it's a 2500/3500 Suburban.

What SUV do you have and what is its payload capacity?
Equalizer 10k WDH