Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new travel trailer

FOUR_SISTERS
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am looking for any suggestions on a good travel trailer, around 30 feet, with a bunkhouse model. We are a large family (5 kids) and travel long distances.

We started with a coachmen tt and had that model for about 6 yrs, we had to overhaul it a few times, but it was fine, however, it had a rear slide with the queen bed that just wasnt the best layout.

After some research (not enough) we traded in our coachmen for a radiance by viewfinder.

However, after having it for less than a month the leaf-springs failed, buckling the frame and dropping the trailer onto the wheels. This happened in the last mile towards home. At first we thought the brakes had seized because we had trouble towing. We did manage to get it to the front of our house.
I don't even want to think about all the remote places on our trip- we could have been stranded far from home.
And now the fun begins with the manufacturer and the frame company and the .....

I am hopeful that all works out and that we can get another travel trailer. But, we don't want anything to do with the viewfinder company (unless we can find one with a better frame).
Any suggestions? Are there any travel trailers out there where the slide doesn't close off key parts of the trailer when closed? We do a lot of cross country trips, and make stops along the way and not sure how to handle rest stops.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

FOUR_SISTERS
Explorer
Explorer
The viewfinder we had was less than a month old, so yes we are working with everyone to get the issue resolved. We had already traded in our coachmen tt for it so we have nothing left to trade.
However, I am hoping for a good solution and we can basically start over.
Thinking positively, I am looking for a new travel trailer with the layout we need and a tt that is sturdy and has a good record.
And, yes we did drag the viewfinder to our dealer. Better for it to be in their lot rather then collecting tickets in front of our house.
Thanks for all the suggestions. It really does help with search.

eend
Explorer
Explorer
OP, Have you tried to contact Cruiser RV (viewfinder manufacturer)) or the dealer you bought it from. How old is your trailer?, I would imagine there would be some sort of warranty on the under carriage.

How do you want to trade off your TT with broken springs? You won't get a cent for it if you just drag it like that to an dealer.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

Dwain
Explorer
Explorer
I have just ordered my 3rd travel trailer from Allen Camper Mfg. Co. in Allen OK..... These are quality trailers made by a 50 year old company.... They're HONEST people, and will make changes you want within limitations, of course..... I highly recommend them. Dwain

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a puma 32kbdss something we picked up new for 18k a few years ago. With the super slide it blocks most of the interior but unless you get a second door to the bathroom that might be a problem with a lot of the larger bunk houses. It has the outdoor kitchen which we love and has been a solid unit so far.

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Keystone springdale 294bhssrwe! seperate 3 bunk bunk house... seperate master... nice slide.. bang electric everything... stick and tin... love it
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

FOUR_SISTERS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. It is hard to find models just online, but it speeds things up when going to dealers.
Hopefully things get resolved but we are still in the pass the problem along stage.

SouthGaQX56
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that's terrible! At least you were close to home when it happened.

We have a large family also with 6 kids, after looking at several different BH models we ended up going with a Salem 32BHDS. The only thing I did not like initially was the angle ov the television from the couch but that was remedied by using a mount that has an extendable arm to allow it to swivel and tilt, when not needed it sits flush inside the opening and still swivels to the bedroom as designed.

The slides do obstruct the BH and most of the main area when in but there is a separate outside entrance to the bathroom that is great for pit stops or when the kids come back dirty... The outdoor kitchen with the swing around grill is also great!

Good Luck on getting your current issues resolved!

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Crossroads ST29SS bunkhouse thats been great for us. The rear bunk room has its own door and TV hookup. The Jensen omni antenna that my came with stinks, but that's been my only issue.

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my gosh, how awful. I would look at Jayco.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs