cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need propane tank cover recommendation

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
My new TT didn't come with a cover for the tanks.

I like the idea of not having to lift the cover unless changing the tanks like this one. Could just be because last rig was a hybrid and I'd inevitably forget to open the valve before popping out the bed.

Also do you use anything to hold your cover on? I never had an issue on the last cover but never hit 60MPH either.
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green
16 REPLIES 16

Bayerlake
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2017 Outback came with the black hard plastic cover. Whenever we would try to remove or replace it for winterizing, it would scratch the trailer. We solved the problem by ordering a soft camouflage zippered cover from Amazon. So easy and no more scratches.
Diana
Northern Wisconsin

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Woodtroll wrote:
I know I'm pointing out the obvious, but make sure your tanks are 20-pounders so that this particular cover you linked will work. A lot of trailers use 30-pounders. That is a good price if your tanks are 20's.

The company that makes that cover makes two sizes, one to fit big tanks and one for small tanks. They make it in quite a few colors too.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RAMwoodworks wrote:
My new TT didn't come with a cover for the tanks.

I like the idea of not having to lift the cover unless changing the tanks like this one.

Those covers stay on fine. No method of securing them is needed.

I did RV transport for 2 summers and hauled probably 150 units. All had that same cover. No problems with them not staying put.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same cover. I use a couple of 5-inch bungee cords that fit to a tab on the bottom of the cover to secure it to the frame and tanks.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
During winter storage, i keep a hard cover on my tanks. Come spring camping season i switch to a vinyl cover that has the zipper front. Works Great, easy access to the tanks and valves. I usually get 3 seasons out of them doing it this way
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
" did have one blow off several years ago but only one in over 55 years of towing RVs"

Oh! Sam! So you were that guy that drove by me when I was 12 years old. I tried running to catch up with your cover...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm pointing out the obvious, but make sure your tanks are 20-pounders so that this particular cover you linked will work. A lot of trailers use 30-pounders. That is a good price if your tanks are 20's. I have the same cover and I do like it, and have never felt the need to tie it down but it does have tabs on the bottom edges to tie it down with if you want.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
On a side note I pulled my tanks off today to take some measurements and saw that the tank tray is just 'screwed' to the tongue frame. Okay they're self tapping screws but still a little schlocky. I'm amazed these things don't blow apart running down the road...
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I have one just like that in black. When I first bought my trailer I was worried about it coming off and used a bungee cord. Then one day I forgot the bungee after cleaning the trailer. Wouldn't you know, two years later and it still hasn't come off. lol.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same, Mine has two tabs with hole in them at the bottom, I hooked three large zip ties together and that keeps them from leaving. One note, My first set was faded so I bought a black set,,,Bad move they faded extremely fast, back to white one now.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have one like the picture. I drilled a small hole on the bottom of the cover and put a spring in the holes from one side to the other. I did have one blow off several years ago but only one in over 55 years of towing RVs
samsontdog:o:W

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same one. We have drug the trailer literally all over the US and to Alaska in all kinds of weather. The top door has never opened and the cover has never come off.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My cover is similar and has a tiny bungee cord near the bottom. No problems so far.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
#1Nobby and mobeewan are both correct.

I have the same type on my camper. However, I turned mine around so the flip-top lid lifts from the front and is hinged in the back. It's easier to see inside the hole that way.

I also turned my regulator completely around giving more space for it under the cover.

Nice thing about those covers, they don't cost a whole lot. So if they begin to fade, discolor, or anything, they are easily replaced.

Separate the tanks more, and yes, they will never come off when traveling.