Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey

I know we have a big thread on fuel mileage going. I’m considering a 2020 Ram 3500 Crew Cab with the HO Cummins/Aisin and it has the 4.10 gears and it’s a dually. On a test drive it appeared to be doing around 2000 rpm at 70 mph.

My 2018 3500 is a SRW SB with the HO Aisin and it gets 18-20 in mixed driving and 11 mpg towing my 14,500 lb fifth wheel with the 3.42 gears.

Looks like these sales guys are ordering 4.10’s on everything but I could go w 3.73 gears and hopefully some better fuel mileage.

I tow usually around 65-68 mph. Like I said any ideas on the fuel mileage for this new truck? I live in Ohio and I try to generally stay within the speed limits.
47 REPLIES 47

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Frankly, I don't concern myself with fuel mileage. If I did, I wouldn't be towing in the first place."

Same here!!!

I look at it the other way ... because I use a whole bunch of fuel I do concern myself with fuel mileage. 10% of a whole bunch is quite a bit of money.

You are talking business use.

I am. Personally I don't go through any more fuel than the average bear.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
So I kinda agree with both of you. When I’m looking at buying I’m trying to consider maintenance and operations costs. In my area, Ram is cheaper for oil changes and fuel filter changes. We know Ford has raised the game with the ten speed tranny on fuel mileage.

Capital cost seems on top of each other even with my trade. So I lost this truck, sold the day after I looked at it. It’s a dealers dream time.

But after ya buy it, who cares about the fuel mileage? I agree! And maintenance for that matter. Ya just take care of it.

This has been a good thread for me! Thanks

Lift the hood on all three. Nuff said.

Totally agree. Order the same truck you test drove with 3.73's and be happy. :B

I was playing with the build tool on Ram's website and it appears 3.42's aren't even offered anymore so you are choosing between 3.73's and 4.10's now.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MikeRP wrote:
So I kinda agree with both of you. When I’m looking at buying I’m trying to consider maintenance and operations costs. In my area, Ram is cheaper for oil changes and fuel filter changes. We know Ford has raised the game with the ten speed tranny on fuel mileage.

Capital cost seems on top of each other even with my trade. So I lost this truck, sold the day after I looked at it. It’s a dealers dream time.

But after ya buy it, who cares about the fuel mileage? I agree! And maintenance for that matter. Ya just take care of it.

Lift the hood on all three. Nuff said.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Frankly, I don't concern myself with fuel mileage. If I did, I wouldn't be towing in the first place."

Same here!!!

I look at it the other way ... because I use a whole bunch of fuel I do concern myself with fuel mileage. 10% of a whole bunch is quite a bit of money.

You are talking business use.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"Pulling a trailer in Cali is extremely frustrating."

That's you, KSSS. 55 mph is safer...you see more...you save on gasoline.

A 3500 dually gasser? Gas will kill the TV.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Same here!!!

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"Pulling a trailer in Cali is extremely frustrating."

That's you, KSSS. 55 mph is safer...you see more...you save on gasoline.
Can you please tell the class how towing at 55 MPH in Calif is safer? Especially when everyone else around you can be going 75 or 80. As a retired LEO I believe that all traffic moving at mostly the same speed is much safer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after having 4.10's in my last 2 trucks (Fords), I'm really liking the 3.73's in my current truck and my GM Yukon. Gives plenty of grunt for towing and reasonable RPM's running solo. It's a very good compromise. Unless you're towing very heavy (which the OP won't be at 16-17k lbs), I would personally skip the 4.10's.

I realize that the 6 speed autos make up for this somewhat but driving for hours on end solo with 4.10's can be somewhat annoying. JMHO.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I’m falling in love w this truck so unless someone talks me out of 4.10’s, I’ll probably make an offer."

If you can't get 3.42's stick with the 4.10's.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"if you run empty a fair bit 3.42's make sense"

YEP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Same here!!!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
I think part of the discrepancy here is emissions controls. Looking back at the report from where I got the BSFC map from, it does not mention emissions so the map may be without them since they are somewhat of an unknown variable. I do know that the EGR will open more under moderate load at low rpms as the combustion temps rise(which correlates to higher EGT's) since NOx creation rises significantly at 2,800F.

The EGR introduces spent exhaust gases that is already deprived of oxygen which has a major impact on the engines efficiency. It does not do this at higher rpms because the engine is receiving more air for the amount of fuel being injected to make the same horsepower and the higher rpms also allow more air to flow through the engine at a faster rate. Hence the reason why EGT's decreases when you shift into a lower gear putting you at a higher rpm.

Another factor is that the more cooled exhaust gases introduced, the more soot it creates which clogs up the DPF quicker. Clogging up the DPF quicker means it will need to regen sooner than normal. If the DPF is not hot enough to regen then it will perform an active regen and inject extra fuel on the exhaust stroke to heat up the DPF(at least for Ford and Cummins engines) so it is using more fuel than normal.

This may be a factor into why the BSFC maps may not align with what is happening in the real world. Especially when outside air temps are in or near triple digits since the temperature of the ambient temps have a significant impact on combustion temps and EGT's. As ambient air goes up, so will EGT's/combustion temps and the EGR will activate accordingly to keep NOx generation low. The more it activates, the less efficient the engine is because it is receiving less clean air with less oxygen. Our northern friends in cooler climates may not have to deal with this as much.
Thanks, ShinerBock! Very informative.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
According to the BSFC map for the 6.7 Cummins that Shiner posted on another thread the 3.42 pulling in 5th vs 4.10 in sixth yield very similar MPG while towing. 3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed. Again, according to the same BSFC map, towing with 3.73 gears at 65 mph should offer a slight advantage in MPG over either 3.42's or 4.10's. Empty the 3.73 will fall half way between 3.42's and 4.10's . . .
"3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed" vs. a 4.10. Interesting. Not what I've experienced.

Are you making these observations based on BSFC maps of the crankshaft output of a Cummins in conjunction with gearing charts?

Or, are your observations based on BSFC maps formulated and based on on-the-road tests of production-ready, OEM Ram trucks? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing these. Could you supply a link? Thanks.

I think part of the discrepancy here is emissions controls. Looking back at the report from where I got the BSFC map from, it does not mention emissions so the map may be without them since they are somewhat of an unknown variable. I do know that the EGR will open more under moderate load at low rpms as the combustion temps rise(which correlates to higher EGT's) since NOx creation rises significantly at 2,800F.

The EGR introduces spent exhaust gases that is already deprived of oxygen which has a major impact on the engines efficiency. It does not do this at higher rpms because the engine is receiving more air for the amount of fuel being injected to make the same horsepower and the higher rpms also allow more air to flow through the engine at a faster rate. Hence the reason why EGT's decreases when you shift into a lower gear putting you at a higher rpm.

Another factor is that the more cooled exhaust gases introduced, the more soot it creates which clogs up the DPF quicker. Clogging up the DPF quicker means it will need to regen sooner than normal. If the DPF is not hot enough to regen then it will perform an active regen and inject extra fuel on the exhaust stroke to heat up the DPF(at least for Ford and Cummins engines) so it is using more fuel than normal.

This may be a factor into why the BSFC maps may not align with what is happening in the real world. Especially when outside air temps are in or near triple digits since the temperature of the ambient temps have a significant impact on combustion temps and EGT's. As ambient air goes up, so will EGT's/combustion temps and the EGR will activate accordingly to keep NOx generation low. The more it activates, the less efficient the engine is because it is receiving less clean air with less oxygen. Our northern friends in cooler climates may not have to deal with this as much.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If your tow vehicle of choice is marginal, go with 4.10's

If your tow vehicle of choice is formidable, then gears start to matter less, especially with newer 8 - 10 spd transmissions.