Did you mean: 

new batteries for trailer

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
well, I need new batteries.
they are tired.

The question is, I am going camping this weekend.

Can I upgrade to AGM batteries now,
and then after this trip look into whether I need to update charger/inverter to something better for charging them ?

We tend to boondock about 50% of time, and tha tis what this first trip will be. so I expect to run the generator a bit.
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.
25 REPLIES 25

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
bbaley wrote:
when referring to "WFCO" - the brand of the cheap standard converter/charger/power panels installed in most trailers,

do you say;
1. "WF co" (double you eff koh)
2. "WF see oh" (double you eff see oh")
3. "wiff co"
4. some other pronunciation

just curious - for the purpose of calling mfg's and the like and discussing

Always heard #3
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
azrving wrote:
Early on Best converter sold me one when I explained that I would be dry camping on generator. It came with bare wires etc so I returned it. Im not interested in world friendship, I'm interested in charging batteries.

What was your solution.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
bbaley wrote:
when referring to "WFCO" - the brand of the cheap standard converter/charger/power panels installed in most trailers,

do you say;
3. "wiff co"

Early on Best converter sold me one when I explained that I would be dry camping on generator. It came with bare wires etc so I returned it. Im not interested in world friendship, I'm interested in charging batteries.

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer

do you say;
3. "wiff co"

Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I bought Costco 4-6V deep cycle golf cart batteries for my DP. Paid $89 ea . I replaced 10 yr old Interstates but didn't dry camp. I think the Costco batteries could be replaced twice for the cost of AGM's. My new TT has only 1-12 V deep cycle and I plan to add a second one. I won't be dry camping much still.
I haven't had a chance to find where my converter is located yet, but I think it is under the dinette seat. Does anyone know? (Flagstaff micro mini 21DS)
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Please do yourself a favor and get the 14.8 volt version.

But the question is WHY ??

People should not blindly follow advice they get on the Internet without knowing some background and thinking it over for themselves.

The absolute best equipment is not appropriate for everyone in every situation.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Please do yourself a favor and get the 14.8 volt version.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DesertTracker wrote:
so I'm trying to decide if it is really worth the trouble to return the 4655 and re-order the 9260-c and put in the deck mount for the extra 0.4 volts. Opinions welcome.

What improvement do you hope to achieve with 14.8 ?
I doubt that whatever small gain you might make won't be worth the time and trouble.
Maybe you should call the company back and ask THEM.

Others here will, no doubt, supply more information.

Just beware of the "purists" who MUST have the best available, no matter what the trade off.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
has to plug in? Can't hard wire it?

Mine is underneath the fridge... so not only is there going to be a shortage of space, I'm going to be on the floor too.

I'm buying the GC2 batteries next month, so I'm going to have to do something soon.

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
The deck mount, in my case would screw to the floor behind the power center (fuse panel) and does not directly wire into the power center, it needs a receptacle to plug into but does feed the 12 volt circuits thru the power center. The Wildkat was going to be an easy installation: it just replaces the inadequate WFCO unit in the bottom of the power center, and the 9260C-14.8 is not much harder, but different. I have the room behind the fuse box, and room for another 120V breaker and circuit, it is just working in the confined area behind the fuse box that adds a little more difficulty. Again, just not sure its worth the trouble...
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
DesertTracker wrote:
I called Progressive Dynamics who verified that there is a PD9260C-14.8 deck mount converter that does produce the 14.8 volts needed by the Trojans. The only retailer is Best Converter which is where I purchased the 4655L Wildkat which is set for 14.4 volts. The deck mounts are slightly more work to put in, so I'm trying to decide if it is really worth the trouble to return the 4655 and re-order the 9260-c and put in the deck mount for the extra 0.4 volts. Opinions welcome.

It looks like the 4655L WC is a straight installation. How does the 9260-c get installed? Be nice if they had a 4655L+

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
I called Progressive Dynamics who verified that there is a PD9260C-14.8 deck mount converter that does produce the 14.8 volts needed by the Trojans. The only retailer is Best Converter which is where I purchased the 4655L Wildkat which is set for 14.4 volts. The deck mounts are slightly more work to put in, so I'm trying to decide if it is really worth the trouble to return the 4655 and re-order the 9260-c and put in the deck mount for the extra 0.4 volts. Opinions welcome.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
DesertTracker wrote:
At the risk of hi-jacking the OPs thread, I have a related question: I just bought a Progressive dynamics Wildcat 4655L that has a 4 stage charger (14.4, 13.6, 13.2, 14.4 desulfation), and was expecting to upgrade to two Costco 6V batteries, but is this the correct convertor for 6V batteries? Thanks for any help.

Contact the dealer that sold you that unit.