cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Dodge Purchase Traded 5.7Hemi for Diesel

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
This post is sort of a followup to another I posted a while back about comparative fuel mileage between these two trucks.

While stopped in Brookings Oregon to get my oil changed at the small Dodge Chrysler Jeep dealer there. I ended up buying a new 2016 Ram 4x4 Crew cab 6.7L Diesel.

I had been looking and thinking about this change for a while and running comparative numbers on the trucks for different scenarios.

By the way I have nothing but praise for this Dealer Coast Automotive. It was one of THE BEST experiences I have ever had in buying a new (or any)vehicle. (more on this in another post...stay tuned)

For those that claim that there is a HUGE difference in the way the Diesel pulls over the Gas 5.7L...well it's not that large actually.

I have 400 miles on the new truck now. All of it along the Rolling hills of the Southern Oregon Coast. (It had 38 miles on the odo when I took it)

Now I like the way the Diesel drives and it goes about it's business with less sound and fury than did the 5.7L Hemi. It pulls really great. But then again so did the Hemi. The big difference is where on the rpm scale do the trucks reach their maximum power. For the diesel it is of course much lower than the Gas which was about 4000 RPM. Of course you can get going from a low rpm point easier with the diesel because of the greater torque and that great six speed transmission.

But my Hemi would beat this truck in a standing Quarter Mile with the trailer attached. (Not that one does this kind of driving often)

Overall I like the Diesel better, It's actually very quiet at hiway speeds and it does have great torque 900 Lb/Ft according to the Cummins web site. Interstingly this torque is put to the wheels with an Aluminum Drive Shaft...which makes sense really as it reduces weight and is stronger than steel on pound per pound basis, but more importantly it is less elastic (in the right tempers and formula)making it ultimately stiffer.

So far I have increased my fuel mileage from an average of 9.32 MPG to
12.7 for the first tank. Now keep in mind this engine wont get to it's best fuel economy until after at least 6000 miles and probably closer to ten thousand.

Even with the higher cost of oil changes which are at 15K (or when your EVIC tells you to) vs the 8000 miles on the 5.7L Hemi. Things will still be in the plus column.

However the fuel filters are another matter. When I looked under the hood I noted the usual FuelFilter/Water separator much like on big Diesels. It is an element type. So I figured this will not be a big expense. But this truck has a second filter I did not know about mounted up above the drive shaft in front of the Rear differential which is a canister screw on type with a sensor cable attached.

This filter combination is pretty dear in dollar terms. And so far I have concluded it must be bought from Chrysler. I checked with Napa and they didnt even have a listing for one yet. (Not surprising really) They are on Ebay as new Mopar parts but they are still over $100 per set and are sold as a pair. My trust in Ebay is...well, not significant lets say. These must be replaced either when the EVIC indicates or at the 15k oil change interval.

I got a great deal on this truck and am very happy. My bet is that in the long run It will be cheaper to OPERATE than my 5.7. Whether it will be cheaper to OWN overall will have to wait until I trade it in or sell it.(if ever)
0 REPLIES 0