cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New mattress

dukenurse
Explorer
Explorer
Need ideas to replace/upgrade the current mattress in our Travel Lite truck camper. We like a firm mattress. Foam seems to be hard to roll over on and hot. Space is 54x73. Thanks in advance.
Connie
5 REPLIES 5

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't think we would like a foam mattress either.

Original mattress in our TC was a queen 11" foam. It was way too soft and as you said hard to roll over on.

The wife wanted more storage so we put in a 6" extra firm full size foam from Walmart and we like it. I'm not sure if it's that it is only 6" or if it's the extra firm that helps.

We would buy another if we ever have to replace.

As WVbassmistress said, it's easy to get the new one in.

"I" had no problem getting the old one out, I got my boys to come over and do it. I knew we had kids for some reason.
Joe and Evelyn

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my used TC, the first thing I did was replace the mattress with one from Camping World. It is queen size and we got it in with little/no problem because it was rolled up and compressed. It is quite comfy.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
dukenurse wrote:
Need ideas to replace/upgrade the current mattress in our Travel Lite truck camper. We like a firm mattress. Foam seems to be hard to roll over on and hot. Space is 54x73. Thanks in advance.
Connie

You need what is called a "full size" mattress (54x75). As mentioned above getting the old out and the new one in might be difficult. A very thick mattress may be impossible to fold to do so.

Camping World and Amazon have some in your size.

Good luck with your search.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
A mattress is really your personal choice regarding, price and comfort.
From my experience with RV mattresses I would make sure the new one is not too thick because that sometimes interferes with a drawer or cabinet/closet door that is next to the bed, not being able to open.

Some camper cabovers are narrow and it can be tough to remove the old and in with the new. Sometimes you have to fold it and use ropes or straps to bind it in order to remove or install it. So make sure you can work that out if need be. You might have to fold a new mattress to get it in.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
We replaced our stock 6" mattress with this one from Amazon:

Mattress

We too don't like the extra warmth memory foam mattress provide. This mattress is firm, but not hard if that makes any sense. Mattress preferences are very personal.

Do take measurements and make sure you can live with an 8" high mattress regarding access to possible closets or being able to sit up in bed.

Good Luck!
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue