cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Member from Alaska, Hello from the Kenai!

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from the Kenai River, in Alaska. I'm new to the forum, and new to truck campers. A number of years ago I began considering a truck camper while stationed in Alaska. Family illness took us outside, and we ended up buying a 31' bumper pull which became our first RV/Camper. We jumped headfirst into camping by taking a trip from Oregon to South Carolina and back in December of 2009, 40 days on the road. It was eye opening, and the learning curve was steep. Part of that curve involved a broken rear axle housing on my 1 ton Ford in Arkansas on Christmas eve. No fun, and costly.

This past spring (2013) we began making plans to return to Alaska, and my desire for a truck camper was rekindled. From previous research, we knew we wanted an Arctic Fox in Alaska. They seem to hold up the best in the extreme cold, and the fit & finish far exceeded anything we saw from Lance. A trip to both dealerships confirmed that to be still true, and we began the search.

I've owned a 2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L since 2003, while the engine is mildly built (intake, exhaust and a few computer chips) and I installed an exhaust brake. I knew I would need to beef up the suspension though. I ordered new rancho shocks (M7000), and installed a set of airbags (Air Lift, Loadlifter5000 with Dual on board controller and compressor). I also bought a set of Cooper ST MAXX tires, & upgraded my brake components (new heavy duty discs and pads). Having dropped $3,500 in truck prep....We felt ready for any camper.

We lucked out, and found a very lightly used 2003 model Arctic Fox 1150, with the options we wanted already installed. Bunk & genset. The generator had 100 hours on it, and all maintenance well documented. Ended up paying cash and getting it installed with fastguns, torklift tie downs, SuperHitch Magnum receiver, and the SuperTruss receiver extension. Right around $13K. We felt good about it, I took it on a shake-out run from Portland, OR to Lakeview, OR. Definitely changed the way the truck drove, but I found I was still getting 19mpg without wind and at 50mph. Hard to be upset about that. I made two mods right away. First, on the way home I got an 8' gas line made with a quick disconnect for my camp chef stove to attach to the line at the rear bumper, and second....I trashed the mattress and installed my 12" memory foam mattress. Heaven.

Here's the pic on the way back from Lakeview:

We moved out of our house and into my hangar/shop for 45 days, living in the camper. The AC was a godsend, and my two children (10 & 2) began wearing in the camper. Ugh. Pristine 10 year old camper started show wear on the carpet and upholstery real quick with those two. Still, I really fell in love with the camper. The second week of September, 2013, I loaded up my 8' utility trailer (with my Leer 122 Browning edition camper shell installed on 30" walls on the trailer), and headed North up the Alcan to our new home on the Kenai River, in Alaska.

Here's a pic of the trailer:
My daughter painting the inside:

I wish I could say it was an easy trip...but it wasn't. That trailer had two break downs that forced me to hire a welder to install metal. Once...the tongue broke clean off just outside Destruction Bay, Yukon. Miraculously...no one, and nothing was hurt. But that story is for another thread.... Gas mileage for the 2650 mile trip = 17mpg. Pretty good for the weight and hills. The week after we got here I did a 1K mile round trip to Fairbanks for my brother's wedding reception. It was fun going up through Denali, but I was pretty "camped out" by then. Since taking her home in August 2013 I've put 4,500 miles on her and slept in the camper for 55 nights. Pretty happy with Arctic Fox!

So here we are in Alaska, with the camper we've always wanted....waiting for spring! Winterizing was easy, though I really wish I had the money to buy a good cover or build a roof to park her under. Hopefully next year. I crawl up and push the snow off once a week, and we're keeping heat on at about 30F inside. I'm hoping the constant temperature will help minimize expansion and contraction. Over the winter I'm sewing a net to snap onto the bunk so my 2 year old son can sleep in the bunk safely. He was falling out of the dinette bunk almost every night...despite piling pillows and zipping him in a sleeping bag. My 10 year old is getting a bit heavier than I'd like for the bunk also. I'll have to take pics of the net after I get it fabbed and sewn up.

Any other Alaska members? We're looking forward to getting out doing some boondocking this summer. We boondocked through most of canada and Alaska, the arctic fox is made for it!
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150
26 REPLIES 26

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Silver Gulch? Is that the old Fox Roadhouse out on old Steese? Last time I was out to the Howling Dog Saloon, I noticed a new sign on the old Roadhouse but didn't remember what it said. For some real authentic atmosphere consider some of the finer watering holes down on 2 Street such as the Mecca or the Hide Away. Pike's is nice as well as the Turtle Club, also out on the old Steese Highway, north of Fairbanks proper.

You guys are making me envious, in case you haven't noticed. LOL
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
AKSuperDually wrote:
Moose10 wrote:
Welcome to the Forums, and good choice of camper. We love ours. Started out with a Fleetwood Caribou 11G when I was stationed at Elmendorf back in 2001 and kept that until '05 and then had a 38' triple axle 5th wheel toyhauler. It was nice but way too big for AK. Then last summer got the perfect 1150 from a guy in Soldotna.
Well be sure to post pics of your bunk net when it's finished (I need one too) and next time you're up this way to visit your brother maybe we can have a brew or two.

Sounds good! It looks like we'll round out our lower 48 trip with Memorial day in Fairbanks, and possibly close out summer with labor day back in Fairbanks again. One of those trips, perhaps we can meet up at Silver Gulch or something for a pint or two.

Silver Gulch or Pikes on the river would be great!!
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Moose10 wrote:
Welcome to the Forums, and good choice of camper. We love ours. Started out with a Fleetwood Caribou 11G when I was stationed at Elmendorf back in 2001 and kept that until '05 and then had a 38' triple axle 5th wheel toyhauler. It was nice but way too big for AK. Then last summer got the perfect 1150 from a guy in Soldotna.
Well be sure to post pics of your bunk net when it's finished (I need one too) and next time you're up this way to visit your brother maybe we can have a brew or two.

Sounds good! It looks like we'll round out our lower 48 trip with Memorial day in Fairbanks, and possibly close out summer with labor day back in Fairbanks again. One of those trips, perhaps we can meet up at Silver Gulch or something for a pint or two.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how I missed this thread, but welcome from down south in Kodiak. We travel through your neighborhood once or twice a year when we can save up to take the long ferry ride from Kodiak, to Homer, then tour around Alaska in our superduty and Avion.
Again, welcome to the forum, and to Alaska!

Garry in Kodiak.
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations Nice Rig and Welcome.

Paul

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum! You've got a nice looking set-up! Congrats!
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

welsteach
Explorer
Explorer
AKSuperDually, we are on the Kenai as well, and looking for a used TC. Have a TT for here, but want to hit the ferry and lower 48. LOL! Opposite of your situation.

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from Southeast Alaska. I love traveling in my Bigfoot camper. I live in Haines but I teach all over Southeast, so my camper is my home while on the road. I love staying in it during the winter. Have fun up there.

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to TCs and to the forum. We spent the summer of 2011 traveling to and from Georgia to Alaska. Didn't go past the town of Keni Heading north from Soldonta.
We would love to make the trip again as soon as we get to the places we haven't been yet.
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Greatings the Forum. Great report you put togther and information.
Looks like you've started on a good note in Alaska.
Can't wait for more trip reports in the future.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome ! I love your rig and am jealous of your view. .. I live in the mountains over a lake but nothing like where you are! Best of luck and here's to many happy miles in your new camper! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper. You chose well.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the TC Forum Phillip. Very nice setup you have. I flew up to Alaska ten years ago on a pleasure trip for a week and just couldn't believe how awesome Alaska is. Going back up there again is definitely on my bucket list but this time I'll take my camper and stay a little longer.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver