cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ram California DMV issues

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
Just took delivery of a brand new 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Diesel, which I really like. I bought it from Dave Smith in Idaho, and could not have had a better buying experience!
However, California DMV is being their usual obnoxious self: I have to get a smog check before I can register it, bcause I bought it out of state! It has about 51 miles on it!
So I took it to the smog check place, waited a while, and the tech showed me the printout which said that it "wasn't ready" for the smog test. I need to drive it some more before it is "ready" for the test.
Anybody have any ideas about how much to drive it before the retest?
56 REPLIES 56

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
like said before, you probably need to drive it for a 20 mins or so, keep it idling so the DPF is up to normal operating temp... then test. I can see on my scangauge that the DPF is in some kind of build heat mode for the @ first 10 mins, then it shows normal...or some times active regen.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Geesh, no wonder my brother moved back yo NY. But we get nailed to a cross in taxes
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
How long can you drive an unregistered vehicle?

My buddy got a truck from his dad in another state and has been driving it around Oregon for 3+ years with expired Arizona plates/tags and has never had a problem. This is that friend we all have who has never followed a rule in his life and I think he's crazy, but he just keeps on going with no problems whatsoever.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
virtually all vehicles sold in the U.S. today are certified to california emissions standards regardless of which state they are shipped to. Not sure why it would require any additional testing as a new vehicle if it was CA emissions certified.

If the emissions sticker shows CA certified, all they are doing is making sure the computer shows ready. (a plug in wait a few seconds, unplug and bye bye). A dealer could have done this also and provided the paperwork, but it appears this vehicle was sold with considering that. It could have been because the computer was reset or the battery was disconnected causing the computer to wipe out a clean emissions report, or it could have been ready but the battery was disconnected during shipment to the buyer wiping out the emissions settings.

Too much is being made of the "test" when often these test are nothing but checking for emission fault codes. I know many who failed AZ emissions testing because their RV was in storage with the chassis battery disconnected and they didn't drive it long enough to set the computer before they wizzed over to emissions for testing just to fail.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
If the truck does not have all the necessary CA smog factory installed you will need to drive the truck 7,500 miles and wait two years so that it will classified as used.

If the truck does have all the necessary CA smog factory installed you will need a weight cert., an odometer cert., a smog cert., a Application for CA title, the out of state title, a CA DMV employee will need to fill out a vehicle verification, and you will need a boat load of cash to cover sales tax (based off of the dealers bill of sale).

Probable too late but I would make the out of state dealer make CA registration part of the sales agreement.

First thing CA DMV will look for is the factory sticker that states CA legal or 50 state legal.

virtually all vehicles sold in the U.S. today are certified to california emissions standards regardless of which state they are shipped to. Not sure why it would require any additional testing as a new vehicle if it was CA emissions certified.

My 2015 Denali was first shipped to dave smith. It turned out to be the only one in 4 states that had everything I wanted on it. Local dealer beat Dave smith price and got the truck from Dave smith, had it shipped by truck to his dealership, and it then became an oregon vehicle for registration. It was California emissions certified even though it was originally shipped to Idaho which doesn't require CA emissions. BTW oregon and something like 15 other states require CA emissions. I even have all the original paperwork from GM showing it's original order and shipment to dave smith then the paperwork transferring it to the dealership I got it from.

When I was looking for my truck I searched Idaho, WA, CA, OR and MT dealer to see what was available. Every truck that I found was CA emissions certified.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to another DMV you probably get it done with no problem. It will work out for you. Happy Thanksgiven and be safe everyone.
G.H.

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I would make another call and ask some more questions. I can’t see why a brand new truck that meets California emissions need to be smog checked? That doesn’t even make sense!
'

Taxifornia is not about making sense, its about extracting the maximum amount of revenue.
sorry
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
It depends. Invest in a cheap OBDII scanner and it will tell you when the monitors are ready. Or drive it 100 miles or so and try again. In NJ you can pass with 2 monitors not ready (except for O2 and catalyst I think), but I'd suspect that Kalifornia wants them all to be ready. EVAP is usually toughest to show ready - takes a long time as it's a combination of cold starts, highway driving, stop and go driving, etc. I never drive on the highway and my EVAP monitor on my truck didn't show as ready even after about 75 miles of around-town driving last year. I passed inspection because the other 6 monitors were ready.

Diesels aren't required to be inspected in NJ according to the inspection station.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee, not so cool or fun to buy out of state. Learned anything?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I would make another call and ask some more questions. I can’t see why a brand new truck that meets California emissions need to be smog checked? That doesn’t even make sense!

I think it's because it wasn't sold by a CA dealer who certifies the CA emissions standards internally on their filings. Had the vehicle been bought out of state and delivered to a CA dealer for pickup, they could have had that dealer do the smog thing before pickup or if the dealer also held a CA license, they could still have done the filing.

This is not about the emissions as much as it's about a vehicle whose computer has not yet been fully cycled through the emissions sequence. Although what vehicle sold in the US hasn't had the cycle performed before shipment? Probably had the battery removed or the computer reset. Had they drove the vehicle back, it would had more than gone through all the stages. But being shipped meant it didn't have enough mileage to cycle through a computer that was cleared out.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
How do you get from Dave Smith in Idaho to a testing center in California and only have 51 miles on the odometer? At the minimum Oregon and/or Nevada are in the way.
-

Probably used one of those new hyperloop tunnels Musk has been working on?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
delete

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the truck, brand new in Idaho. The dealer wrote a cashiers check to the state of california for taxes, license, and registration. I will hand it to DMV when I go there.
The truck meets Cal. emissions standards.
I have 20 days to register it in Cal, from when it comes into the state. It was delivered by truck (a much bigger truck than mine!) to my door.
I am not trying to avoid any taxes or fees.
I just want to get my truck registered without running around in circles for the next two weeks.
Thanks for all the input.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you get from Dave Smith in Idaho to a testing center in California and only have 51 miles on the odometer? At the minimum Oregon and/or Nevada are in the way.
-
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper