cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Shock Time

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
I know nothing about shock absorbers, other than how they work. I can install them or have a shop do it, depends on how busy I am. The existing shocks are Ranchos but they are so rusted I cannot read anything on them - obviously original equipment. They are not tune-able. What should I be looking for and are there better options available for the same price level? See my signature for my rig.

There has not been a noticeable problem with ride, only the age of the shocks and their appearance gives me the idea they should be replaced. Am I right? Perhaps I have not noticed any degradation to the ride quality over time. I want to replace the rear factory sway bar with a Big Wig but feel like the shocks are a better first move.
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads
43 REPLIES 43

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I first got my RV, I set the rear Rancho 9000s to 9 and the fronts to 7. It helped to control the sway but the ride was harsh. I could feel every tar strip on the road. I also tried to solve the ride issue with airbags. They just made the swaying worse. After a couple of years I got SuperSprings. Wow. End of the issues. With adequate springs, the swag decreased and I was able to got for a smooth ride by dropping the Rancho settings a couple of clicks.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
The Rancho 9000 is a THICK shock with plenty of rebound power when under heavy loads from our TC's. I have them set to 9 on the back and 5 on the front and I can verify 100% they eliminated the porpoising issue I was having especially on concrete highways. Now to be fair I have not put on the Bilstiens and tried them to see if they would do the same, I am perfectly happy with the Rancho's.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
av8rds wrote:
I was highly disappointed in my Bilstiens, zero effect/difference. Wasted money.

What model did you put on and what truck camper were you carrying?

I have them on the 2006 F350 in my sig and under both my Lance 992 and my EC 1160
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A triple slide on an almost 30 year old truck is not typical use and no single wimpy 1/2” shaft shock is going to doo much for that kind of load.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a fan of adjustable shocks. Mine were Ranchos. I had them set close to full for the rear and about halfway for the fronts. Adjustments allowed me to avoid a harsh ride or a boat like soft ride. I was able to dial in the best compromise.

I have been taking the camper off in the winter or when it will not be used for months. I do not have another use for the truck but I try to warm it up and at least take some short trips once or twice a month.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
The vast majority of the miles on my truck are loaded so I had no need for adjustable shocks. I replaced the wimpy OEM shocks with KYB Monomax at less than 20,000 miles and could not be happier. How they compare to Bilstein or other brands I can't say. All I can say is they were a significant improvement over OEM and I'm happy.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m not sure why you think your use is typical with a COG aft of the rear axle, but at the end of the day, as long as you got something that worked for you that’s all that matters.

Just like you, most of us are describing our experience and think Bilsteins work very well for our somewhat standard setups. Of course, it’s possible a different shock would work just as well for less money. But, mine work, so I can’t think of any reason to try a different shock.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just relating my experience, which is with a big camper on a 1 ton dually and trying to help others. It doesn't matter to me if any one buys Bilsteins or not. But I think they are a huge waste of money. Not that they are a BAD shock, but they cost almost $100 each, yet they perform they same, or slightly worse than any $25 non-adjustable gas shock from Monroe or Gabriel.
I wasted the $400 on the Bilsteins because I believed it when I read on the misinformation superhighway that they were superior to other shocks, and that they would work awesome on my truck.

Those recommendations were possibly based on the point that someone else made: if you replace a worn out shock with a Bilstein, you may think it is a great shock. Because it is an improvement over worn out OEM shocks. Or else their requirements were less. If you have a fairly light camper with less dampening requirements, the Bilstein will probably work out fine. But the same would happen with a $25 shock.

Dampening requirements vary greatly among different trucks with different campers. And the requirements also change when the camper is off the truck. How can the same shock that is specified for a 1/2 ton truck, that works without being too harsh when the truck is unladen, still be expected to control the suspension of a 1 ton dually with a 3000+ pound camper in the bed, with the center of gravity shifted aft of the rear axle? The same part # shock is specified for both applications, and in my situation, it created a major shortcoming in the shocks performance. They were just too soft to control the load.

That is why I like the Rancho 9000. It can be adjusted to work for my specific application, and it works. And they are about the same price as the non-adjustable Bilsteins.
Also, by taking off my front Monroe Gasmatics and putting on the Bilstein 4600, driving the truck for a year, then putting new Monroe Gas matics back on, I confirmed that the Monroe has noticeably more control than the Bilstein. (for 1/4 the price) .
I'm going to be putting together another camper hauler truck. It will be a 68 Dodge crew cab on a stretched 93 dodge Cummins dually chassis. And I will for sure figure out how to adapt Rancho 9000 shocks onto the front, even tho they are not available for this application. I might have to weld some custom mounts from the frame to the control arms, outside the coil spring.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
I don't know why you expect everyone to have the same experience you have had with Bilsien shocks..There is so much more to a trucks suspension than just shocks..I have heard good on them as well as the Monroe shocks carrying a TC..I had good luck with KYB shocks on a 21ft Class C which is the same concept as a TC.

I don’t “expect” everyone to have the same experience, but it would be nice to compare the same type of vehicle and vehicle setup. My points for those other vehicles were that the vehicles compared are dissimiiar, so the experiences aren’t relevant for those carrying a truck camper on a truck designed to carry that type of load.

Oh, and I agree that there is much more than shocks to a truck suspension, so comparing a van chassis Class C isn’t relevant to choosing shocks for a truck camper either. Might work but also might not work.

They design shocks for a very specific purpose. If that design matches your needs, then those shocks will work. That application doesn’t mean they got it right for all other applications/uses for a different type of vehicle, however.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

I don't know why you expect everyone to have the same experience you have had with Bilsien shocks..There is so much more to a trucks suspension than just shocks..I have heard good on them as well as the Monroe shocks carrying a TC..I had good luck with KYB shocks on a 21ft Class C which is the same concept as a TC..

If you haven't noticed,everyone has different opinions on about everything, truck camper related or not..Ones opinion is just that and we should take it as that and a different outcome..

Where's the like button when you need it?
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
av8rds wrote:
I was highly disappointed in my Bilstiens, zero effect/difference. Wasted money.

I don't know why you expect everyone to have the same experience you have had with Bilsien shocks..There is so much more to a trucks suspension than just shocks..I have heard good on them as well as the Monroe shocks carrying a TC..I had good luck with KYB shocks on a 21ft Class C which is the same concept as a TC..

If you haven't noticed,everyone has different opinions on about everything, truck camper related or not..Ones opinion is just that and we should take it as that and a different outcome..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranchos are normally after market shocks.
Bilsteins change the way trucks ride.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
specta wrote:
When your shocks wear out its a gradual thing until one day you find your vehicle bouncing for a half a mile after hitting an overpass.
At that point any new shock is going to be an improvement.

I don't understand how shocks will help after you've done the canopener thing. Bouncing I think is the least of your worries.

I guess I should have worded it differently.

The worn shocks inability to control rebound.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
av8rds wrote: