cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Silverado 4500 w/ TC

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone seen or heard of a new medium duty Chevy truck with a truck camper? I Googled and couldn't even find a picture. There were lots with the old Kodiaks, but none on the new platform. I'm daydreaming about a rig like that to use as a toterhome and wanted to visualize it.

thanks.
2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper
23 REPLIES 23

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The fact that you can't find pictures could be a government conspiracy...

Or it could simply be that a BRAND NEW truck that JUST HIT THE MARKET has not been used to haul a truck camper yet, at least not by someone from the "hey look at me" social media generation/crowd. It's not like Kodiaks or any other MDT were a real popular choice for truck campers. The F450 and Ram 4500 are proportioned like pickup trucks, so they can be placed under campers without cabover height concerns or overall height concerns, so they are a much more popular "more than a one ton dually" choice. Especially the F450 pickup version.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
GM has body builder or “upfitter” manuals on line.

www.gmupfitter.com

These will have detailed dimensions and layouts of the vehicles.

You can plan from these drawings.

Commercial truck buyers and upfitters rely on these drawings for engineering and design. They don’t normally order trucks and hope they fit the application.

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Bed to cab height is the critical dimension with a TC. These at least look like they might be better than the Kodak trucks were. The Kodiak cab was so tall that you needed a platform to set the TC on in order for it to clear the cab. Then the overall height was very tall, and the combination just didn’t look that great.

These new trucks look like they have a “normal” cab, although the bed height may be higher than a light duty pickup.

:):)

I figure the custom utility bed that would be required could make up for any height difference to get good cab clearance. And yes, they are definitely taller. But surely it's not taller than some of the giant class A and those Freightliner class C rigs. It looks like the 2wd trucks are lower, so maybe that will make it manageable. Of course, once it's all bolted together, I wouldn't ever take it off.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
mr_andyj wrote:
first error is ever using anything google. find a less American-hating search engine is what they tell me...

I have seen TCs on the big chassis trucks always. What is the question? Just need legs that will get the TC high enough and wide enough to get around the wider truck body, the truck will hove no problem hauling it.

Usually there are tool boxes on the truck where the 3/4 ton truck would have bed rails, but the TC requires nothing but a floor and tie-down points to take the ride.

:B

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Bed to cab height is the critical dimension with a TC. These at least look like they might be better than the Kodak trucks were. The Kodiak cab was so tall that you needed a platform to set the TC on in order for it to clear the cab. Then the overall height was very tall, and the combination just didn’t look that great.

These new trucks look like they have a “normal” cab, although the bed height may be higher than a light duty pickup.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR - yes, those.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
You mean these?

Silverado Chassis Cabs

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
first error is ever using anything google. find a less American-hating search engine is what they tell me...

I have seen TCs on the big chassis trucks always. What is the question? Just need legs that will get the TC high enough and wide enough to get around the wider truck body, the truck will hove no problem hauling it.

Usually there are tool boxes on the truck where the 3/4 ton truck would have bed rails, but the TC requires nothing but a floor and tie-down points to take the ride.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here’s a bad boy

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad