cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new to rv life.

fieldtech03
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the whole rv life. I haven't bought one yet but I looked at a 97 Dutchman for $4700. Outside is in really good condition but the pilot won't light for the fridge. I'm just wondering if it's a fair price for the unit. Any feedback is appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second Dick Bโ€™s comment on renting, you can learn a lot in a week or so. Also, you are not stuck with a TT when a MH would have been a better choice etc.

The DW and I rented one for 10 days for about $100.00/day. We learned a lot about floor plan, towing and TV requirements.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get an RV refrigerator cooling unit for $3-500 with a 2-3 year warranty.Know need to spend $1000 on a new refer for a used unit.I have done it more than once because most people don't think it is that important to have the refer as level as possible and it's a slow death,especially the older ones.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Hoosier_Daddy
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
Probably,...
Engine or transmission replacement would likely be more than the $4700. Tires are expensive - check condition AND....
Tell us more!

Matt B

Engine? Trans? Isn't this a TT??
TT: 2005 Coachmen 248TBG "Spirit of America"
TV: 2013 Ford F150 S/Cab 4X4

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the TT was in very good condition and clean (no water damage) with new tires, battery and everything working it would be worth $4700.

Battery and tires $500 Frig $1000 if need replaced. I would offer $2500 to $3000. in order to cover repairs.

I sold a mint 1999 Damon 30' TT for $4900 2 years ago.

Edit-I did not realize RVCircus said the same thing.

The frig should run on 110V when plugged in and propane (as long as you have 12 volts) when not plugged in.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I was thinking trailer but maybe it's a motorhome?
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention the size or make but frankly that sounds high to me for one of that age. Of course that's just the asking price and no seller expects to get that. So you might get it for $3500? A year ago we sold a 2000, 25 ft. Jayco 5th wheel for $3800 and I was glad to get that even though book value was higher.
Jayco-noslide

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The price seems to be on the high side to me. I'd use the fridge, tires, and batters to beat him down on the price. If he didn't want to lose $$$ on the sale he'd get that fridge working unless he knows it's a major problem (which I'd assume without looking at it. You're looking at an additional $600 in tires/batteries along with $1000+ fridge. I'd shoot to get him down closer to $3k and hope I could fix the fridge instead of replacing it, but you need to assume the worst when negotiating.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Even in perfect condition, the price may be a little high but cant tell without looking at it. If it's been sitting long, it's common to get spiders and crud in the orifices of the appliances. If it's not working on electric either, it has other problems. Worse case is a new frig. If you are going to keep it in a park and live in it, you may be able to buy a home type frig for a lot less money. It's common for RV frig to be over $1,000.

Other factors enter into the price also such as how much time do you have to shop and how far can you travel over and over only to be disappointed by more lies from people selling junk. What may seem like a high price to me or someone else may work out well for you in your market. Number one is to be dog gone sure it has no water damage.

In order of value it would be roughly like this
Refig $1,000 plus
Ac unit $500 to $600 plus
Furnace $400.00 plus
Water heater $300.00 plus
Water pump $70.00
Holding tank $200 and up

OH! I almost forgot to ask......you are the handyman type aren't you? ๐Ÿ™‚

ronanshea
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 97 dutchman 300 classic bought used two years ago. Couldn't be happier with this unit
No problems at all except the furnace wouldn't fire but a tap on the sail switch got it going no other problems
97 dutchman 300 classic
Parked at our lakelot at bull shoals lake
04 silverado 1500 z71 ext cab
07 landau fishn toon
Dw shea
Dd snickys the mutt
Dd dieago the chiwawa

fieldtech03
Explorer
Explorer
There aren't any fuel leaks so I'm good there but i don't think the fridge runs on electricity as well. Hot water and stove works

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires and batteries are no biggie. Yes, you need to have them, but every RV will need them at some point. Asking for a price break if they're due for replacement now is always good, but I wouldn't consider them a make or break deal.

Fridge - will it work on electrical? If so, then it could be something as simple as a new thermo-coupler (about $12 and easy to replace). If not, then that's a big expense most likely.*

Have it checked out for fuel leaks. Engine fuel (if a MH) and propane. These are usually easy fixes (replace hoses), but can be costly if the leak is in the tank or in the appliances. *A propane leak in the fridge could also be the issue there.

Check stove/oven, run both hot and cold water and check for leaking.

If MH, have engine, brakes, etc. all checked out. Even if told that the brakes were just replaced - get them checked (someone replaced the rear brakes in my clipper, but forgot to add brake fluid).

Be prepared to put additional money into it. Maintenance will be needed regardless of what you buy; repairs or replacements could be needed at any time as things age. Make sure your budget will allow for those costs as needed.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Its my opinion that the price is certainly on the high side for a 17 or 18 year old RV (depending in exactly when it was purchased) where there is a problem with a major appliance. That would be somewhere around 25% of it's selling price new. Also keep in mind that Dutchman is not a premium model. At the VERY least let the owner fix the fridge to your satisfaction and you already know of some other items you'll need to R&R. Also remember it's STILL going to be the same age after everything works so future repairs are likely.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

fieldtech03
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about renting but just decided this week to got the rv route. I got transferred to San Antonio for work and the rent for apartments is ridiculous.

fieldtech03
Explorer
Explorer
Yea it needs new tires and battery. No leaks that I could find. The body and inside are really clean and straight. Pilot on the water heater lights and stays lit. Overall is really nice