cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to the forum

mark10
Explorer
Explorer
a truck camper is in my future. just started researching. thinking a pop-up truck camper. so far the combination would probably be a northstar 850 or 950 with a ford f250.

definitely want toilet and shower.

one question I have 'is this combo good for extended trips'.

can my wife and I be happy with for a trip of up to 4 weeks.

my reasons for the truck camper is that I don't want to pull anything, so I was thinking this is the best of both. plus since I can drop the camper if at a site for an extended time and just use the truck, I don't have to pack up.

plus I can use the truck, as a truck, while at home.

I am planning on renting one probably next year for one of our vacations

looking for comments or other suggestions.
24 REPLIES 24

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
We have loved our rig just wish we could go more. Keep in mind that the 2012+ diesel trucks all have DEF along with DPFs and other EPA friendly instruments that supposedly help with mileage as well as the environment, but they can also leave you stranded when they fail or you run out of DEF. This was the reason I bought our Ram in 2011 as it was the only 1 ton of the big three that didn't have the DEF. I've also made some modifications to enhance its performance and reliability (DPF / EGR deletes). Anyway, that is something to keep in mind as well.

This back couch is what makes the 1172 Lance's biggest seller I think as it gives you the ability to sit down in the camper (it also reclines) without having to crawl into your dinette area. The 1172 is also one of the few multiple slides that doesn't sit over the rails. Many TC today sit above the rails which I've always felt puts the unit to high. Just my opinion of course.

I grew up in the western suburbs of Chicago near Bartlett so I know the area well...feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

mark10
Explorer
Explorer
one trip I could see doing is from Chicago up the alcan to Alaska and then around Alaska. up the Dalton to prude bay, out to McCarthy. in other words - rugged country from time to time. yes I might drive into the city. size doesn't really bother me. I have an astro van now, and although a pickup is larger, no problem. we would have a second vehicle - car - that would be used more for the local trips by my wife. we do live in the burbs but work in Chicago. take the train to work most the time thou.

getting together in may might be a possibility

usmcshepherd wrote:
Mark10....

A couple of additional questions I woudl have to ask...do you see yourself staying mostly on pavement or do you want to get into the more rugged backcountry? Also, you referenced Chicago and wanting to drive this truck when not camping...would you have to drive into the city with it or are you in the suburbs?

Depending on how you answer these woudl sway my thoughts (as a side note I'll be in Princeton, IL in May of 2016 if you'd care to check out my rig...which might be for sale by then so who knows:)). Anyway, we are a little younger still with children, but we have a Ram 3500 dually carrying a 2016 Lance 1172. My wife and I have commented on numerous occassions that if it were just the two of us we could easily spend several months in our rig comfortably!!! The great thing about ours is the rear couch which makes a very comfortable place to relax at night as the couch also has built in recliners! So if the weather isn't suitable for sitting outside, you can comfortably relax in your recliner and watch a movie or read a book.

Additionally, we love not having something towing around behind us! If DW sees something that tickles her fancy we can very easily swing off the road and stop in just about anywhere...this wasn't the case when we had our 40ft 5th wheel! Additionally, being completely self contained with solar and generator makes us very independent.

I guess I'd say that if you don't have to drive into Chicago with this truck and you are't planning on climbing the side of a mountain with your TC then get the biggest truck and camper you can afford. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to try and check out our rig in May '16.

Semper Fi
MGuns

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
"Honey you have a one butt kitchen!" a great quote. A small one at that.
Adventure before dementia

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Mark10....

A couple of additional questions I woudl have to ask...do you see yourself staying mostly on pavement or do you want to get into the more rugged backcountry? Also, you referenced Chicago and wanting to drive this truck when not camping...would you have to drive into the city with it or are you in the suburbs?

Depending on how you answer these woudl sway my thoughts (as a side note I'll be in Princeton, IL in May of 2016 if you'd care to check out my rig...which might be for sale by then so who knows:)). Anyway, we are a little younger still with children, but we have a Ram 3500 dually carrying a 2016 Lance 1172. My wife and I have commented on numerous occassions that if it were just the two of us we could easily spend several months in our rig comfortably!!! The great thing about ours is the rear couch which makes a very comfortable place to relax at night as the couch also has built in recliners! So if the weather isn't suitable for sitting outside, you can comfortably relax in your recliner and watch a movie or read a book.

Additionally, we love not having something towing around behind us! If DW sees something that tickles her fancy we can very easily swing off the road and stop in just about anywhere...this wasn't the case when we had our 40ft 5th wheel! Additionally, being completely self contained with solar and generator makes us very independent.

I guess I'd say that if you don't have to drive into Chicago with this truck and you are't planning on climbing the side of a mountain with your TC then get the biggest truck and camper you can afford. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to try and check out our rig in May '16.

Semper Fi
MGuns
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum!
I will second an earlier post, get the most truck you can afford if you will be going the TC route, especially since you'll be using it for extended trips.
Our first TC was an 8' Lance Lite on an f250. We used it while CG hosting at a National Monument site in New Mexico. The two of us couldn't get dressed at the same time and one of our fellow hosts told my wife one day "Honey you have a one butt kitchen!"
We upgraded to our present truck, an F350 Dually, and upgraded the TC to a Lance 981 with a slide. It was like night and day and we really enjoyed it.
About two years ago we decided we wanted the space that a TT would provide so we traded the Lance on a 28' travel trailer. I still enjoy it for trips of a week or more IF we plan to stay somewhere where it will fit. The down side is that there are lots of neat places around here where it's simply too big to get into the spots designed in the 1930's. So we were fortunate enough to find an older non-slide Lance 880 last July. It's a 10'9" TC with plenty of room for two. Now we have the best of both worlds.
The moral to this story is that our truck will accommodate pretty much anything that we want to camp with. We could easily pull a 5'er if so inclined.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are on the right path Mike. NorthStar sounds like a good fit and they are made in Iowa so upgrades, service, etc. puts you close to the manufacturer. They are one of the more customizable manufacturers. I was torn between a pop up and a hard side. Ended up going hard side due to the deal I found on a wonderful lightly used truck/camper combo that had been owned by a member here on the forum. We have a ton of fun in ours. That said, I still lust for a pop up to throw on a single wheel at times.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
We took a trip this summer of 24 days to CO and UT for riding quads and with other trips like just this past weekend we camp almost 50 nights a year. If you like be outside almost all the time and traveling with no trailer a TC is great.

The limit is camping in the winter when it gets dark and cold early, the TC does not have a recliner nor a TV so it can get boring sometimes just sitting at the dining table to read.

If you don't have a truck yet, get the biggest one you can afford and park for work and at home. Then get the best match to your truck. really watch the weights so you don't have to go hog wild on new tires, rims, etc....

2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped, backpacking, canoe, roof-top tent in Africa, campervan in Australia, couple of lifted tent trailers, a TT and now as well a TC for hunting. From the NWT to Arizona.

The photo of the two TC in the bush are what TCs do well, they go off the beaten track. BTW, lifted tent trailers are even better at that they don't even need level sites. TCs can tow, boat, ATV, etc.

We have a Creekside 20FQ TT. My wife really wanted a walk around bed. We find the larger holding tanks give us camping freedom. There is enough room for two people. It doesn't entertain well, though.
Adventure before dementia

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
There's another thread about where to rent a TC that you might find informative.

mark10
Explorer
Explorer
and to answer some of your questions
- as of today I am 64 and wife is 60
- we are not retired and don't plan on being for any number of years
- camping could be anyway from walmart, to koa, to open field, to state park, to national park, to out in the wilderness (this last is less likely).
- probably won't camp in dead of winter unless it is down south. but have no problem camping in 30 degrees, although would want a heater in the camper
- definitely plan on having a generator
- I can poop in the woods, in an emergency so can my wife
- idea is to drive somewhere and then stop and enjoy the area with hikes, etc. if we can get by without driving anywhere that would be good. length of stay would depend on where and what there is to do. probably if more than 2 nites and needed to drive around would drop the camper.
- would probably plan on a hotel like maybe once a week, but that is not a necessity. and really depends on the wifes attitude. if she gets into the camping then she wouldn't care about the hotel.
- one planned trip would be from Chicago to alaske via the alcan.another would be down the pacific coast from Canada to mexico (that would include from Chicago and then back to Chicago). you get the idea

mark10
Explorer
Explorer
just as an update. my wife and I have tent camped a lot. we have also rented rustic (aka, no water or toilet) without a problem.

I do motorcycle trips (wife doesn't like riding) and I camp a lot, so the minimalist route I am use to.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
If you indicate your ages,
1. 20-30
2. 31-40
3. 41-50
4. 51-60
5. 61-70
6. 71-80
I think we can cumulatively make observations of how each age group handles heat, cold, space (claustrophobia), actual bathroom with shower, adequate tanks, 4 season insulation, storage, amount of off-road and remote camping. Also do you mostly go to a place and stay a while or do you travel with little more than one night stands? Do you want to camp in all four seasons? How long will you be out at a time? The answers to these queries make for a good start.
It is difficult to rush the learning curve you will encounter as you need to take in a pile of dispirit information to make a choice that will work just for you and yours. This is a comparo of our hard side TC (on the left), and bro's larger and heavier OUTFITTER!

jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

djg
Explorer
Explorer
my wife and I have been on a 28 day and we love the TC but we are traveling campers, site see all day find a camp site at night, walmart, paid camp or just stopping wherever we love it but started with a $800.00 camper and now have a new one you might want to rent as others have said just to get the feel of it
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
mark10 wrote:
I am planning on renting one probably next year for one of our vacations
Good idea. My wife and I rented one from CanaDream in Calgary. This enabled us to decide what we liked and what we didn't like. We have taken trips of a month or more in a topper and then a popup. And we're still married. But you and your wife will have to decide for yourselves. That's one reason I support your idea of renting at first. Renting is expensive. But not as expensive as making a purchase you regret. If you rent in the off season the prices can be considerable lower. Look for specials too.