cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to TT camping

Tablerock
Explorer
Explorer
I have been seriosly considering buying a new Bunk style TT. I would like your honest opinion on A good brand to look at. I have went to many dealers and they all seem to say they all have good quality. My budget is 25k and length is not a issue. Thanks

Just interested in your veteran TT camper opinion.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Keystone Bullet 285 RLS Ultralite purchased a year ago.. Absolutely love it! It does not have bunks but 2 rocker recliners in the rear ( retired couple.. no kids) but Bullet makes a 252 or a 272 BHS bunk house version of same TT that you can get new for 25 K or less. Check them out on Keystone's website. They are light, easy to tow with widespread axles and have luxurious interiors1 A lot of Bullet owners and fans on this site! Check it out!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
I have had our Jayco Eagle for four years and spent about 500 nights in it. It seems well built, we've had very few problems, and it's holding up pretty well. It is heavy but it pulls well. YMMV.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lance 2185

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duplicate
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
My standard recommendation is to rent a model similar to what you want. A week or so of TT camping will teach you a lot.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

archie18
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 3 year old Passport 23ft bunk house and are pretty happy with it. If you are over 6 ft tall check the bed sizes by laying on them, some so called queen beds are NOT! Get a slide out! Have fun!
Robert and Nancy
2013 Keystone Passport 2300bh/2014 Ford F150
http://wanderingwoolfolks.blogspot.com

shinglers3
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on buying used. I am on my third used trailer and each time I get closer to the perfect trailer for us. I can certainly tell the difference between the low-end and high-end units, you can see and feel the difference. Good luck with your search.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty happy with the interior build quality of our Sunset Creek, now owned by Winnebago. They used to have a very high quality rating, and one of the lowest employee turnover ratios in the business (ie, how long their employees stay there. Their average was about 11 years when others were like 4. Goes to build quality, pride of work, etc.)

We had a few issues with the unit, but overall is holding up very well for 8 years old. Built like a tank! But being aluminum framed walls and siding, is almost as light as a "lightweight". Has full actual I-beam frame (not welded I-beam) and 10,000 GVWR. My carrying capacity is over 3000 lbs., even thought I'll never tow it with that much stuff and this tow vehicle.

Not sure what level of quality Winnebago is currently putting out but worth a look. They used to have a very good reputation for value.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are a newbie I would make two suggestions:
  1. Forget brand. Instead try to scope out the dealership. You will need a lot of support and that comes from the dealer. All of the brands use the same appliances and hardware.
  2. Seriously consider used. In all liklihood you'll learn a lot from this first TT and you'll want something different pretty quickly. You should be in a lot better shape to trade if you don't need to absorb the depreciation built into the price of a new unit.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
Tablerock wrote:
I'm more interested in a good brand of rv. Such as Keystone or Rockwood. I just want to by a quality unit.
Thanks

Every maker turns out good ones and bad ones regardless of price.

x2.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
What size do you want? We're very happy with our Camplite 21BHS. Costs a bit more, but very well built, lightweight, and tows great:

LINK

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your message. The 21BHS may be a bit small since you say size is not an issue, and I don't know if you could get it for $25K. I got mine for $28K. There are smaller bunkhouse Camplites as well, such as the 16 BHB

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco, Starcraft, Open Range (all 3 owned by Jayco) all with 2 year warranty.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco is my fav. I also think they have the only 2 year warranty that includes everything. Note: I had an axle problem on one of my jaycos and it was 2 years OUT of warranty, Jayco just said send us the bill. Good company.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good success with 3 different (Thor Industries) travel trailers: Dutchmen Sport, Keystone Springdale, Keystone Outback. There are always minor adjustments, changes, and fixes. This is expected.

Thor Industries Brands - Click here.