cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New trailer first oops

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later!OOPS!
42 REPLIES 42

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
ls1mike wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
I knew a guy who once poked a hole in the awning of his new trailer by hitting the roof of his house when pulling out for a camping trip. Please don't ask me his name.

Funny I know the same guy...:)

I know him, too. His name is Murphy. He lives at our lake property in Minnesota.

There are a half dozen people who go in and out of there with TT's, boats, and 5er's. Murphy has left his mark on three awnings, a dump valve, two sets of entry steps, two shore power cords, some plastic chocks (they explode when you drive over them), a couple Winegard antennas, probably a half dozen boat props, and I lost count on the stabilizer jacks being ripped off.

He also likes to take side trips and ride along with some of you folks.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Rumtan
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy who heard a slight noise and saw black plastic flying behind him while driving to a campground. The connection from truck to trailer wasn't in tight enough. He arrived to find the wire no longer had a plug on it.
2013 Keystone Passport 2100RB
2015 F150 ecoboost
Fish-O-Holic;)

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are scaring the bejesus out of me. We don't even have ours yet and I"m thinking about all the stoopid stuff we'll probably do within the first few trips. And we don't own the skills to fix ANYTHING.

But I'm reminded of what I did when we were on a trip with Elvis, the King of Rock 'n' Roll, our 2000 Flair RV. Stopped at a truck-stop, one of those gigantic travel plazas that are so big you never have to back up. I was pulling into the drive-through window at some "food" joint and totally forgot that I was driving a 15'-tall vehicle. Crashed into the overhang and ripped a nice hole in the top of the drain-pipe AND the rubber roof. Had to totally replace the roof, to the tune of about $4500, before we could sell Elvis. Meh.
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy who thought he could open the door with the awning not up high enough. Scratched it but didn't rip it. He's lucky that way ๐Ÿ˜‰

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
MNFox wrote:
I made the mistake of leaning one of the load leveling bars from my equalizer hitch against the trailer frame and proceeded to lower the tongue jack. I heard a crunching sound and looked to my right to see the bar impaling the wall of my trailer. I filled the hole with expanding foam and coverered it with a piece of eternabond tape so we could get underway. My ultimate fix was to have diamond plate installed accross the front.Can't see the hole anymore.

That's easy to fix with a bumper sticker.

MNFox
Explorer
Explorer
I made the mistake of leaning one of the load leveling bars from my equalizer hitch against the trailer frame and proceeded to lower the tongue jack. I heard a crunching sound and looked to my right to see the bar impaling the wall of my trailer. I filled the hole with expanding foam and coverered it with a piece of eternabond tape so we could get underway. My ultimate fix was to have diamond plate installed accross the front.Can't see the hole anymore.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Markiemark32 wrote:
old idaho guy wrote:
Oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later!OOPS!

Markiemark

Oh, That's just a flesh wound! :B

Get back to us when you really do something bad! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy who was bringing his brand new trailer home and let the wiring pigtail hang too low dragging on the interstate. It frayed enough to lock the brakes up on all four wheels at 60 MPH in the left lane:S . He had to get to the side of the interstate dragging all 4 tires, sort out the wiring mess then turn around and take it back to the dealer to replace the pigtail.

The dealer replaced the pigtail for free but I ,(I mean HE) had to fork out the cash to buy four new tires that didn't have huge flat spots on them.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is just a version of a "mod"....some people plan them from the beginning, others just stumble onto it.

Ok, so this is true confessions, here it is..... Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. There is a standard door from the living area into the bathroom. Now wouldn't you think FR would have taken "clearance" into account when they designed this? So, so proud of our gorgeous new trailer. I did some work inside and was going to have it all closed up and ready to go when DH got back. Bathroom door part way open....FR should have considered this!!! Hit the slide-in button and all was fine until the slide hit the bathroom door and literally pulled the door frame et al right off the wall. Hysteria ensued. DH got home and I fully expected him to lose his mind over this, but he was very calm and just got out his trusty tools, etc and in about an hour you could never tell it happened. There is a tiny spot on the top edge of the door frame that if you look really closely you can see a place that doesn't look perfect. DH is good and I was still hysterical.

So then WE/me decided that there was some perfectly good storage area that was closed up below the entertainment center. WE/me suggested we make a Lowe's run for some hinges and knobs and open that area up. What a great idea! You know how just from time to time a door will vibrate open in transit? So we get to our destination and go to put the slide out and it catches on the leftside door and I hear that sound again. Not quite the same level of hysteria, but I was not happy, DH was not happy. Thankful, so thankful that he put it all back together and secured that sucker shut. The rightside is fine, but don't mess with the left side.

I think DH was taking his meds that day because he's not known for taking things like this lightly. Love you, DH.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

vanreever
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy who, on his second trip ever with a travel trailer, got a little too close to the house and put a nice tear through several layers of his awning after catching the gutter. The awning now has clear guerrilla tape skylights. Or that's how he rationalizes his stupidity. His wife helps him get it out of the driveway now.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy Metal Doctor wrote:
First time parking the new TT and the only 1 month old TV - bumped the front bumper of the TV on my tractor by the barn because I was so busy concentrating on the TT behind me. Big Chrome bumper with one little fish-eye dimple prominently displayed...oh well.....

When people ask, say:"Yeah, I meant to do that. Like it?"
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

deshatt
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling my trailer out of storage this year I caught the awning on the corner of the rain gutter of a building in the storage lot. I was trying to avoid a truck and boat coming in and wasn't thinking about the overhang of the building's roof. It tore a 4 inch "V" shaped hole in the awning. I had only used the awning 3 times since having it replaced by insurance after a storm destroyed it last season (don't forget to angle one side of the awning in case of rain). That's life I guess, what can you do!
Dustin
2010 Crossroads Zinger 19RDS
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi

fairfaxjim
Explorer
Explorer
Two trips ago I felt a bump and heard a thump and looked in the right side mirror just in time to see the front awning arm swing out wide and fall off! Seems the right lane is crowned in towards the sidewalk and the utility pole is tilted a bit out towards the lane. Awning and gutter rail a total loss! Fortunately very little other damage.

It seems I'm not the only one to hit that pole, the street side of it is literally ground flat from trucks, busses, and oh yeah, trailer awnings hitting it. Of course I didn't see the "NO TRUCKS RIGHT LANE" signs just before that spot.

When I went to clean the smudge off the side, the plastic from the awning fabric was literally vulcanized onto the fiberglass from the heat and pressure generated then the pole suddenly slid the awning rearward. It was melted to the trailer side.
Jim & JoAnne
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD Double Cab
2004 Starcraft 11RT (Replaced by)
2011 Eclipse Milan 18CK Travel Trailer

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I buy my trucks and trailers , used , I make sure they are pre scratched or pre dented . It not a matter of if its going to happen , only when .