cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New trailer, new generator?

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we just upgraded our TT from a 21' to a 28', we currently have a 2000 (1800 running) Yamaha inverter generator. I have a feeling that this little gennie won't supply enough power to run the new bigger trailer, what wattage would be recommended for the larger trailer?

Thanks
Brian
20 REPLIES 20

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Twistedlarch wrote:
Does anyone else run small gennies in parallel?

Yes, I have used twin EU2000i gennys many times, only to run the A/C.
If I am not running the A/C, I only use one genny.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Thatโ€™s where my head is at if you already have 1 - 2k genset.
Maybe a used Honda if budget is a concern.
But everything is a compromise with RVs. What you gain in lightweight easy to move and versatile you kinda lose in convienence having to fire up 2 Gennys and hook them together.
But canโ€™t manhandle a 3k unit very easily and harder to store.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twistedlarch wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
What are you going to be running that you were not running with the smaller trailer?

I want to be able to run everything, my little 2K would'nt run the AC in our little trailer.

Just get another of the same and a parallel kit. Save you lot's of money and back problems from lifting a 100lb generator. Plus, for the days when AC is not needed you can run a single. I went this way with Champions and super happy I did. Very easy to get them in and out of the truck and run everything in our camper

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that since you want to run everything a 3000+Watt genny will be needed.

What are your thoughts on a dual fuel and mount above propane tanks using a Stromberg-Carlson mount? No gas to deal with, no fouled carbs, electric start !!!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I do, and all my friends who I tailgate with run 2 Honda's or Champions in parallel. If we need air, we run both, if we don't need air, we just run one.

Twistedlarch wrote:
Here's my idea, currently I have the Yamaha SC2000i generator (2000 starting 1600 running). I can get another SC2000i for $500 and run them in parallel.

I can save myself about $500, I still have a very quiet set up, can only run one when I don't need the extra power, etc...

Thanks
Brian
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Brian,

Many folks do that. I'm old as dirt now--so I prefer electric start on my genny.

For a very similar price, you could get the Predator 3500 inverter generator (with electric start).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Twistedlarch wrote:
Here's my idea, currently I have the Yamaha SC2000i generator (2000 starting 1600 running). I can get another SC2000i for $500 and run them in parallel.

I can save myself about $500, I still have a very quiet set up, can only run one when I don't need the extra power, etc...

Thanks
Brian

FWIW, you're not talking about a Yamaha generator, but rather a cheap knockoff. Just a bit misleading is all. Some of them work good, have had several (at work) that someone thought would be a great deal, that don't put out the advertised power or longevity of a real Yami or Honda.

That said, I agree that paralleling another 2000 is potentially a good choice especially for mobility of units, and a bit more power than the 3xxxW gennys.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks
Brian

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
With an Easy Start you might be able to run your AC with the generator you have. Cheaper than a new generator.

Twistedlarch
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless you wish to run the air conditioner there is no need to upgrade the generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twistedlarch wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
What are you going to be running that you were not running with the smaller trailer?

I want to be able to run everything, my little 2K would'nt run the AC in our little trailer.

A good ole reliable Champion 3500 would work for you and not break the bank.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Verify the new rig's AC unit. Some newer ones do not require as much power as older ones.
Yes, a 3000-3500 genset will run everything.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Twistedlarch wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:

Really no difference based on trailer size. The power demands are going to be about the same until you move up to dual air/con RVs.

You can jump thru some hoops spend some money and maybe get the 2000 to run the air/con.

I would recommend something in the 3000-3600w range. That's generally going to be plenty to get the air/con started and not be crazy big.

Keep an eye out for sales. Last year found a Champion Dual Fuel 3200w for $650 for some friends.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV