cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TT for Compact Cars

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
Columbia Northwest has just announced a new non-folding travel trailer that weighs under 1500 lbs. The ASCAPE
Utilizes a drop-floor to increase headroom while keeping the outside profile low. Being introduced at Louisville show this week.

Appears to be targeting small SUV tow vehicles with no more than two people that want to travel.
31 REPLIES 31

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I`de like to see the floor plan. but I don't think there is a floor to walk on?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
I know they have been looking at other configurations for the Ascape. No reason they could not offer an off-road version as they do on their Somerset line except CNW has been very busy and at this time and probably not going to do anything that might negatively impact production.
Website

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
airplanes are bulbous in the front and taper to a point at the back, must be a reason why. LIttle TT is a little ugly alright.

Aerodynamics works differently at airplane speeds vs. highway speeds. It would be interesting to try some-type of foldable rear aero kit like some of the big trailers are using. This little trailer is very non-aero. Pulling it backward would likely be more aero. It cracks me up that companies market these types of things as aero with apparently little understanding of aerodynamics.

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
There is a car running around for quite a nuber of years already that is called the Smart for Two. It's also 1/2 a vehicle and it also costs "good money" but it serves its owners well and satisfies the itch they have.

Dif'rent Stroke for Dif'rent Folks as Sly used to sing.

I own a RAM pick up but also a Mazda Miata. They both have a specific purpose that suits me fine.
Paul
1969-1970 University of Viet Nam 11B. I was drafted. Agent Orange is still killing and maiming in Viet Nam.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Very close floor plan to Lil Snoozy, which I've always admired. I always thought it was a shame you couldn't order it with propane, because the layout is great.

I love your setup, but then I love the tiny ones.

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
keymastr wrote:
With that tall flat back it will take almost as much power to pull it as a bigger ultralight. A Ford Model A is more aerodynamic in reverse than forward since the air clings to the large flat rear end.

Seems like there are already a ton of choices in this market segment. I would be more partial to a scamp type design.

Amen, that's why I built an air deflector and mounted it at the back of the roof on my flatback Tahoe. Breaks up the vacuum and releases the TT from the air flow and keeps the back clean. Note that airplanes are bulbous in the front and taper to a point at the back, must be a reason why. LIttle TT is a little ugly alright.

Could you post some pictures? How much did MPG improve?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
mgirardo wrote:
Here's an article with interior photos.

-Michael

Thanks for the link. It has more space than I thought it would. Looks like it has about as much space as some of those short bed truck campers.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
Here's an article with interior photos.

-Michael

Another similar one here is the Karakampa

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
With that tall flat back it will take almost as much power to pull it as a bigger ultralight. A Ford Model A is more aerodynamic in reverse than forward since the air clings to the large flat rear end.

Seems like there are already a ton of choices in this market segment. I would be more partial to a scamp type design.

Amen, that's why I built an air deflector and mounted it at the back of the roof on my flatback Tahoe. Breaks up the vacuum and releases the TT from the air flow and keeps the back clean. Note that airplanes are bulbous in the front and taper to a point at the back, must be a reason why. LIttle TT is a little ugly alright.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Interestingly Avan who make the Aliner under licence in Australia( it is one of several models and brands that they produce) has it's own lightweight expandable Caravan called the Ray A midsize car can tow it.

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
At 54, I am in the process of downsizing from a 4,000sqft house to somewhere between 1200-1500 (I'm single). For almost 20 years (and, yes, I lived in it alone almost all of that time) I utilized a bedroom, a bathroom, and, occasionally, the kitchen of that 4,000sqft. I sure as heck don't need a trailer equivalent to the house I'm trying to get away from.

Give me somewhere to lay my head, use the bathroom, and, again, occasionally cook, and I'm good.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first TT wasn't any bigger then that. At the age I was then it worked perfect for me.

The one I have now is still only 20 feet and 4600 pounds. Some people think it's to small but, it works great for me and the dog. When I had a girlfriend it worked good for us too. Not everyone needs a big camper.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
The Ascape is no doubt a niche product but there's nothing wrong with that if it serves your purposes ... and for just one or two adults it sure beats setting up a tent trailer in the rain. :W

bsandey wrote:
I have nothing against pop-ups.

Nor I, except I'd never own one again. 😛 We did an awful lot of long distance traveling back in our popup days but that was then and this is now. Our K-Z Spree 240BH-LX was the biggest trailer we've ever owned but we've since downsized to 19' couple's trailer which although larger than your Ascape would still be considered pretty small by most. As you, we like it, it serves our purposes nicely, it's easy to tow, and I can park it on virtually any site. :B Different strokes for different folks, but there's no question many more these days are gravitating to smaller trailers rather than those like that monster shown in the background in your pic. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380