cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New TV Advice

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm ordering a new Ford F-350 Super Duty and am stuck on a couple of issues. This will be a daily driver so I want a short bed super cab but can't decide if this is a mistake.
My toy hauler is 11k loaded and our future trailer will be in the 13-14k loaded range. We use the trailer about 5 times a year.
The payload and tow capacity are fine, 4k and 16k, just worried about stability and a sliding hitch.
Also choosing the axle ratio, 3.31 or 3.55? They both have the same tow rating.
Would love some feed back from those who have these ratios, and if your happy with them.
10 REPLIES 10

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info.
It is just the wife and I,so the supercab is enough space.
Glad to hear I might not need a sliding hitch. I found a short bed to take some measurements, so hopefully I can find some answers.
I have been on the Ford site doing the build and price, and it shows 18" wheels come with either ratio. I know the 20s are optional, I assume the overall size is similar?

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need the Ford guys to chime in here but, afaik, if you get the 20" wheels you get the 3.55s standard, 18" wheels get the 3.31. End result is the same final drive ratio.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind your going to lose about 400lbs of payload from options, from the posted amounts. Mine did. My 5th weights about the same as your planned and it would eat up most of the payload on the SRW I wanted. Keep in mind anything else your going to put in the bed.

Go with the 3.55 with that planned weight.

I can just fit a SCAB and 8ft box in my garage. Get the biggest you can.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a long bed to short bed and haven't looked back. I hated the long bed for parking etc. I don't even have a slide hitch. I use a B&W companion hitch. I used to have a slide hitch and never once used it. Unless you tow a lot I would go with the short bed, but that's just my opinion.

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
I have the F350 crew cab longbed. It took me about a day to realize that it doesn't drive much different than the shorter truck. Glad I have the space and wouldn't do it any different next time.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
3.55 axle.
Supercab is good enough 90% of the time .
4 door crew cab is more popular , but just long enough to keep one from parking downtown , parallel .
6.5 foot bed allows you to park in your garage .

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If someone will actually be riding in the back seat I'd think hard on the Supercab choice. I prefer a SB for everyday driving. The axle ratio is a non issue IMO.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

KTMsc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a mistake at all, order what you want, The long bed eliminates the need for s slider hitch but then you have to deal the extra 24 inches of bed length the other 46 weeks of the year.

As to the axle ratio.. I would go with the deepest you can get.

JMHO on that though.

thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I buy long beds because of the toys. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL