cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newb a/c question...

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
can anyone tell me if my coleman a/c unit should work if i was plugged into my house? im getting my pup ready for next weekend and i wanted to test everything out before i go. this is a new to me starcraft rt. i tried to switch it on just by turning the knob on the ac unit itself. do i need to set my thermostat to a lower temp before it turns on?
7 REPLIES 7

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 15K BTU will run about 15-20 minutes on a 15 amp circuit before thermally popping the breaker it is plugged into. That is also feeding th loads on the converter-charger in the RV and whatever lights are on in the garage.

So you can probably plug into a 15 or 20 amp circuit long enough to check things out, including "is the A/C working?" but maybe not long enough to cool it down or live in it in hot weather.

If the circuit you want to use is GFCI protected, things can get more problematic, not the least because of the second GFCI in the RV, as well as wiring faults.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mrp116
Explorer
Explorer
On my pop-up (2003 Coleman Sedona, 10 ft box, with Coleman 13.5 AC), I had no problems running my AC plugged into the house using the small round adapter connected through a regular old three prong, outdoor (orange) extension cord. I now have a 32' TT with a 15k AC and can run that with no problems, plugged directly into the house, through a pigtail adapter, with a few lights, TV, and DVD player on, as long as nothing else on that circuit is on. You'll be fine as long as you don't try to run a blow dryer at the same time as the AC is running.

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
hey royb... i think my pup has a built in volt meter on the panel where my stereo is. i'll have to check this weekend when i open her up. as for the adapters, i'm using something very close to the small round block ones you posted. extension cord i'm using a standard one made for general outdoor use. i bet i'm not able to draw enough amps thru.

looking at my panel that feeds the outdoor receptacles it looks like they're only 15amp fuses. i notice that when i power on my tv it sometimes trips the gfci outlet. sounds like i got lots of things going on... lol

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
TSAN - did you ever install the 120VAC PLUG-IN RV VOLTMETER. This is an excellent thing to have available where you can see it before turning on your air conditioner. It looks like this

This has a great feature with its SAFE ZONE marked in "GREEN". If the reading is outside this safe zone the air conditioner will most likey NOT WORK.

I use the RV30A-15A long adapter from WALMART that looks like this...

I cannot use the small round black small adapters that look like this as they will overheat on me after being used just for a short period of time

I also use a good HD Contractor type 10-3 50-foot extension cord plugged into the the garage 120VAC 15/20AMP receptacle. The contractor grade 10-3 HD extension cords are expensive - I found mine at a yard sale... My RV30A-15A adapter is then plugged into the end of this HD extension cord and then the trailer 30A Shore Power Cable is plugged into the adapter laying in the middle of the backyard. I have also used a 12-3 HD 50-foot extension as well without problems. You cannot use the red/orange 14-3/16-3 cheap extension cords you find at WALMART. They are too small to use. You also should make sure all three conductors are used. The HD extension cord looks like this

I have been using this setup for several years now with two trailers plugged into the garage here at CAMP BACKYARD. One trailer is plugged into a 15AMP garage 120VAC circuit and the other tralier is plugged into a dedicated 20AMP garage 120VAC circuit. Both trailer run everything in side including the 13,500 BTU air conditioners. Just have to watch what else is running at the same time otherwise it will trip the garage circuit breaker.

I know alot of us likes to take short-cuts because Marine GI Joe Smuckatelli gets away it so can I... This is one area you need to be using HD items or you may end up burning up something big like the Air Conditioner. I always watch my RV120VAC Voltmeter just prior to turning on my Air Conditioner to make sure it is reading in the "GREEN" zone. I also on occasion feel my connections in the garage and laying out on the ground to make sure they are not warm to touch indicating poor connections.

Just my comments
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
so my fan should be working regardless right? can you recommend a checklist to help troubleshoot?

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
The A/C should work fine plugged into a regular house outlet as long as there is not a bunch of other stuff running on the same circuit. Keep in mind that with the A/C on, you will not be able to run much else while plugged into a house outlet, for that you will need the 30AMP plug. Why not have one installed at home and be done with it, and yes, the thermostat needs to be set lower than the ambient temperature outside, else the A/C compressor will have no reason to come on.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
i read i need to have a true 30a plug and not be using a 10 or 15a adapter that plugs into an AC receptacle. is this true? or is the condenser the only thing thats suppose to require 30a?