cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie question on mirrors

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I know this may be a stupid question,but are there some kind of extention outside rear view mirrors to put on your tow vehicle to see with? We have an Expedition with what I think are regular rear view mirrors. Will they do?
41 REPLIES 41

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
While my old strap on TT mirrors did not match the mirrors on my new TV, they were what I had.

Some creative use of small bungee cords and double backed tape and I was good to go. I like the mirrors because of their size but they are definitely a semi-permanent installation. The only advantage is there is no vibration wobble.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
While my old strap on TT mirrors did not match the mirrors on my new TV, they were what I had.

Some creative use of small bungee cords and double backed tape and I was good to go. I like the mirrors because of their size but they are definitely a semi-permanent installation. The only advantage is there is no vibration wobble.

dhust
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
Aero towing mirrors!

I definitely second this suggestion. For 10+ years I towed with whatever I could find at Walmart. There were several different styles, looking for something that would fit and stay on my Expedition. I have left 3 or 4 mirrors from the passenger side somewhere on the backroads where they have come off. I have a 2006 and the problem is the turn signal indicator under the mirror on the passenger side. I could never find anything that would stay on it, until this past fall when I bought a pair of Aero towing mirrors. They are the most stable mirrors that I have ever had (all the other vibrated around to almost be useless), and they clamp to the top of the standard mirror. Note that they do run about $100, but that is for a PAIR of mirrors, not just 1.

I would strongly suggest, if you can afford it, to use those. Don't waste your time and money going through several other mirrors like I did. The McKesh will probably work fine too, as will the CIPA fender mounts (I remember them from my childhood days of having to adjust them for my Dad).

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My brother towed a few years without extended mirrors. When we upgraded to our truck, I gave him the Cipa mirrors and he loves them. He was a nervous wreck in traffic because he could not see. He had never heard of the slip on Cipa ones and is happy now. If you tow alot, I would recommend looking into replacing your mirrors with ones that can used to tow, if only a few weekends a year, then the add on ones usually meet the need.

aamyotte
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue with my 2011 Expy. I have strap on mirrors that work well that I bought at Canadian Tire. I believe Walmart sells Reese strap on mirrors similar to the ones that I bought. Just a tip if you get those mirrors is to put the spare end of the strap behind the strap to keep it from flopping around. I wouldn't want to tow without the extended mirrors.

I adjust the vehicle's passenger mirror to view lower so I can keep an eye on my axles on turns to keep away from curbs.
Al
2011 Ford Expedition Max Limited
2006 Trail Cruiser TC23SB
Equalizer WDH

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
As for seeing the back bumper of the TT from the cab. I can't see the back bumper of the while standing at the front corner. So that don't bother me. What is behind me is not important. Only what is coming up beside me.

I should have clarified: I meant to say the corners of the bumper, ie, you should be able to see all the way down the sides of the trailer to the back corners, not the back of the trailer.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
luvmydogs wrote:
scbwr, the link does not pull anythign up

Thanks for the info! Post has been edited and link works.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the two lane back roads I travel around close to home where I camp I've found that if I do a small slow swerve with the pickup it is enough to see what is behind me. Just be careful, I said small slow swerve, don't put it in the ditch or nothin.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the Amazon title for what I bought for my 2013 Expedition:
JR Products 2912 Grand Aero Towing Mirror - Pair
The Amazon ASIN is B0095TC6I6

They do vibrate while under way, but I still have enough visibility that I'm very happy with them.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried the strap on mirrors, hated them and returned them. Bought the aero 2 mirrors and have been very satisfied.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a set of strap on mirrors that worked well with the oval shaped mirrors on my old truck. The new truck has rectangular mirrors and those same mirrors vibrate off.

The moral is check and double check the mounting system, there is a fair amount of pressure on them at 60 mph.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
If you are interested in the CIPA mirrors, go directly to the CIPA WEBSITE. They have the correct "fitment" charts for all vehicles, then shop around.

I have & use them for my rig & they work just fine.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get the strap on mirrors. They allow you to see what is beside of you. Yes sometimes they vibrate a little. But you can still see something coming up on you.

As for seeing the back bumper of the TT from the cab. I can't see the back bumper of the while standing at the front corner. So that don't bother me. What is behind me is not important. Only what is coming up beside me.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are't any quality $50 solutions for the 2007+ Expy. And there are no $250 OEM cloned towing mirrors like pickups and some other SUVs.

JR Grand Aero or Grand Aero 2 may be your best choices.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)