cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEWS STORY: Ford/Lance guardrail bridge

EricCO
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://kdvr.com/2019/11/26/watch-live-pickup-with-camper-dangles-on-edge-of-i-70-guardrail/
2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD 2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
24 REPLIES 24

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
We were out there when that happened. We were not in our camper, but I can assure you there was ice everywhere. We happened to be in Estes Park where it snowed 33" in 24 hours. Drove back to Denver the following day.

Of course being drunk didn't help any.
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Suspected DUI doesn't automatically mean alky haul, especially in CO.,weren't they the first to legal-eyes maryyouwanna ? lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Lol, the sad part is, some of the "door sticker drum beaters" might actually say you should abide by that.
Btw, I don't have one of those letters, whether it came with the truck or not, I can claim plausible deniability. Lol. That's tdz speak right there!

I will, at no expense to you, give you my truck in exchange for yours, so you can haul a TC with a clear conscience.
That's how I am. Help out my fellow man with completley altruistic intentions....cross my heart!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 4wd Ram Diesel dually with aisin trans and 4:10's came with a slip of paper in glove box that said "this truck is not recommended for use with slide in camper".
I met a couple others that had the same notice in the glove box and we compared build sheets:

we all had "Snow plow prep group" which consisted of a transfer case skid plate and a bigger altinator. I guess Ram did not want us snow plowing with truck campers loaded ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
I just took mine off for winter driving..

Really, I thought you needed it to snow plow. ๐Ÿ˜„

Naw.I plow snow with this..The 2WD-DRW is used to pull out stuck 4X4's..LOL...To much weight can be worse than not enough weight!

If I had a choice of the truck camper loaded in snow and ice or unloaded,I would choose unloaded around here..I prefer adding my own weight to a pickup for traction..With a truck camper(mine) it's 4000#or nothing..To much..

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
The news truck has a flux capacitor in it. Did anyone else catch that?

I saw that, thinking "where can I get one, for my motorcycle"
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was a lot of snow that day, Arvada 16 inches, Boulder had 22 inches of snow. I was up in Leadville in May and it had 12 inches on the ground and still snowing, really don't like being out in those conditions.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:

Really, I thought you needed it to snow plow. ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it wasn't worse.

It wouldn't bother me to travel in bad weather with my camper.

I have what it takes. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Truck campers can be a good addition in the ice and snow yet they also can be a bad addition because of the weight magnifying any slippage, especially down hill.

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup, No one knows the situation surrounding the incident. Super icy early season snow? Yup appears that way. Did the driver get cut off by another vehicle possibly out of control? Alkyhaul may or may not have been a factor. Good news is it ended about as well as that could.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Drivers condition may have caused this accident, however it could have just as easily happened with no input (or lack of) from driver. Would have been an opportunity to educate or at least mention as many are unaware that conditions on a bridge, overpass etc, can be MUCH worse when crossing them.

Ditto and take note the recovery vehicles are chained up...That says alot...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I hate stories like this, more so the sensationalism..
Once stopped the truck wasn't 'teetering' or 'dangling' and if it could roll would have rolled back onto road.
IF the driver indeed was DUI-will be paying for it a long time-however its the fact that driving under the influence ends any other comments, other circumstance are glossed over-end of story. Thats a disservice..Ya dont drink and drive-you make ignorant decisions-stupid reactions, innocents can suffer and even if not your fault -it is.

Chipping ice to lower outrigger

Drivers condition may have caused this accident, however it could have just as easily happened with no input (or lack of) from driver. Would have been an opportunity to educate or at least mention as many are unaware that conditions on a bridge, overpass etc, can be MUCH worse when crossing them.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Another 4X4 in the ditch. Just say'in. (laughing)
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04