cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nice Looking Classic

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Showed up at the shop today. Older than all but one of the techs that will be working it. No brand markings on the camper.

Notice the original CA plates.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
18 REPLIES 18

specta
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Thatโ€™s a 1971 F250. (Grilles are different than โ€˜72).
I wonder how many modern, heavily computerized pickups will be running when theyโ€™re almost 50 years old?
If you crash it, that solid steering column will impale you... but aside from that those were really great trucks.

I love vintage but I'm sure the new one today will outlast the older ones.

I sold that '72 in 2009 with only 41000 miles on it. If the new owner can keep it from rusting it should last a long time.

The vehicles in the past were engineered to only last for something like 5-7000 running hrs or close to 100,000 miles. Back then it took people 15+ years to accumulate that type of mileage on a vehicle and by then they were pretty worn down. The entire drivetrain and suspension were getting worn and tired.

My 2011 pickup has over 200,000 miles on and the only repair so far has been a fuel pump at 180,000, 4 headlight bulbs and one license plate bulb.

It still has zero rust and here where I live they salt the roads every time in snows.

It still has the factory brakes on it and doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes.

I love the old trucks but I'm pretty sure the new ones will out last them.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thatโ€™s a 1971 F250. (Grilles are different than โ€˜72).
I wonder how many modern, heavily computerized pickups will be running when theyโ€™re almost 50 years old?
If you crash it, that solid steering column will impale you... but aside from that those were really great trucks.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my classmates at Navy Nuke school had an F250 of this vintage that he put a cap on. Together we altered a cover from an old liberty boat to cover the bed on my 67 GMC and my first camper was born. I don't have any pics because cameras hadn't been invented yet ๐Ÿ™‚

On weekends, we traveled up and down the Sierra Nevadas and then the western Rockies when we transferred to Idaho. Some good times. It's funny how seeing an old truck can bring them back.
Jerry & Jeanne

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
Man, where did you get that? It's a great looking vintage and I really like it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
jaycocreek wrote:

2WD/DRW.......Is it pink.....lol

Haha, no, but seriously it's worth a look for anyone whos into these rigs. 2 tone red n white, beautiful truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if the ignition key is in your left hand, automatic classic! The interior picture brought back memories of my grandfather in his overalls with his 72 Ford, and Airstream. I think the RV chromosome came from him-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^ Lol, kids today....
Speaking of old Ford camper haulers, there's another beautiful 94 F350 CC Dually 460, 2wd jaycocreek special with only 100k miles on it for sale on Seattle Craigslist.
It was $5500 iirc, just seen it a day ago or so. Really nice truck.

2WD/DRW.......Is it pink.....lol
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ Lol, kids today....
Speaking of old Ford camper haulers, there's another beautiful 94 F350 CC Dually 460, 2wd jaycocreek special with only 100k miles on it for sale on Seattle Craigslist.
It was $5500 iirc, just seen it a day ago or so. Really nice truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting side story. I mentioned that the truck was older than all but one of the techs that would be working on it. Guess who had to get it started? Apparently, someone cracked down on the air cleaner and jammed the throttle closed. They had to get the old man to figured it out.
Jerry & Jeanne

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet! Everytime I see a nice old rig I regret having sold some of my prior stuff.
Kevin

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old 1976 Ford F-250 was a great truck and hauled everything from a 35ft Jyaco FL Fifth Wheel to 3 different truck campers and tons of firewood with that old 390 Ford which was completely rebuilt as well as the transmission and rear end..I regret selling it just a few years ago...

Yea,then I upgraded to my new to me truck which by definition will be a classic next year..It is only 25 years old now..LOL

Seems I can't afford to get out of the Classic erra..(Laughing)

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine was a 1978 Chevy Cheyenne 400 cid 4x4 with a Beaver 8 1/2 foot self contained camper.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Our TC was on a'74 ford with a 460 and I miss that truck.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I remember, looks like a Pilgrim?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad