cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Lite 10-2 maiden voyage

TCjeff
Explorer
Explorer
So we just returned from our first trip in our brand new rig - 2020 Northern Lite 10-2 + 2019 Ram 3500 diesel dually. It was fantastic!

However, a few issues did arise such as:

1. Although the ride was generally quite smooth, we did experience a fair bit of front to back rocking when passing over bigger bumps (porpoising?). Our truck is suspension stock. After reading many posts on the topic I am totally confused as to what might be the best option for us. Note - This is our first truck and first truck camper. Recommendations?

2. Although the stove in the camper worked great we'd rather be cooking our meals outdoors. As such, we are looking to purchase an outdoor gas stove that would connect to the propane gas hose in the generator bay. Any recommendations?

3. Our cell phone reception was spotty. So we are thinking of adding a cell phone signal booster. Are they effective? If so, any recommendations?

4. Our camper came with a boat rack that we mount our canoe on bringing our total height to approximately 12ft (I will be measuring it more accurately prior to our next trip). Are there iPhone gps apps that include clearance heights or will we need a separate gps?

5. Our first bottle of propane ran out after dry camping for 5 days. Is this normal? We had the furnace going for two of the nights as the temperature dipped down into the low 40's. We were also using the fridge and hot water.

Thanks in advance for the help!
19 REPLIES 19

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jeff and congratulations on the NL!
I use our dually as a daily driver as well. I installed upper stable loads,air bags and Rancho 9000 xl shocks when we first got the Bigfoot. I found the best unloaded ride without lowering tire pressure was to remove the rear upper stable loads, lower the air bag pressure to 5 lbs and set the rear shocks to #1 setting. When loaded the air bags are set to 20 lbs.

We use a Weber Q grill. If you want to connect to your propane from the camper you will have to remove the regulator from the grill.
You should definitely measure your camper height and write it down!
Enjoy!
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

TCjeff
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that when not using camper truck will be used regularly as daily driver

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
TCjeff wrote:
So we just returned from our first trip in our brand new rig - 2020 Northern Lite 10-2 + 2019 Ram 3500 diesel dually. It was fantastic!

However, a few issues did arise such as:

1. Although the ride was generally quite smooth, we did experience a fair bit of front to back rocking when passing over bigger bumps (porpoising?). Our truck is suspension stock. After reading many posts on the topic I am totally confused as to what might be the best option for us. Note - This is our first truck and first truck camper. Recommendations?
Stableloads

2. Although the stove in the camper worked great we'd rather be cooking our meals outdoors. As such, we are looking to purchase an outdoor gas stove that would connect to the propane gas hose in the generator bay. Any recommendations?
I would rather not use the TC propane for cooking. Save it for heat, hot water, fridge. I also would rather have my grill/stove away from the camper. We use a Coleman Road Trip and 1 lb bottles. They last us quite a few days...

3. Our cell phone reception was spotty. So we are thinking of adding a cell phone signal booster. Are they effective? If so, any recommendations?
No cell=perfect!

4. Our camper came with a boat rack that we mount our canoe on bringing our total height to approximately 12ft (I will be measuring it more accurately prior to our next trip). Are there iPhone gps apps that include clearance heights or will we need a separate gps?

5. Our first bottle of propane ran out after dry camping for 5 days. Is this normal? We had the furnace going for two of the nights as the temperature dipped down into the low 40's. We were also using the fridge and hot water.
Sounds good.

Thanks in advance for the help!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Hellwig Bigwig sway bar would help side to side roll or airbags. I think Roadmaster also makes a sway bar. I used Torklift Stable Loads on my last truck, but didnt like having to jack the rear up to engage them. Thinking Im going with air bags on new truck.

We also cook outside and use a weber gas grill and/or a coleman stove.

Think there are Apps out there for overpass..We dont have one..just careful

5 days on a bottle sounds about right in cool temps while boondocking
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding! Sounds like you all had a great trip! I'll take a moment and answer Question 1.

I too have a dually (F350). On my first few camping outings fully loaded I noticed some left and right rocking too. I researched the issue and I ended up installing four "supersprings" on the frame/suspension back in 2013. When loaded, and they have some weight on them, they provide some good cushion and stability. I've been quite happy with them and would say it corrected 90% of the problem. There might be some even better options out there now - I don't know. Happy Camping!!
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.